Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 09:40 PM

2,597 posts, read 4,660,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
Comparing ATL to DC is an insult to DC. It's like comparing DC to NYC.......

This guy here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 11:12 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,533,476 times
I'd say Bethesda or Silver Springs. Bethesda has the Emory vibe while Silver Spring has (a little) of the Decatur quirkiness.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:03 AM

282 posts, read 444,490 times
Having lived in both areas (and loved both, albeit for different reasons), I'd say Arlington is most comparable to Decatur. That being said, I don't really know the Maryland suburbs, so some of them may also be similar. But I know the District and Virginia, and and thus my conclusion.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:33 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,102,503 times
No need for the childish insults about the ATL...OP you have been given good suggestions...please note that some of these suggestions are more dense and walkable than Decatur...DC has an advantage in those areas in general compared to Atlanta

Old 12-30-2015, 10:26 AM

27,578 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
Comparing ATL to DC is an insult to DC. It's like comparing DC to NYC.......
Except that NYC is far too expensive to enjoy living in if you're not rich.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:13 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,754,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
There are several walk-able neighborhoods with public transit in an around DC. Mentioning Decateur means very little, and honestly, Atlanta really is a second rate city compared to DC in terms of walkability and transit access. So please keep this in mind, the DC area has significantly more walkable communities than Atlanta, with significantly better transit, IN GENERAL. So lets say walkable subrubs with good public transit access....Bethesda, Silver Spring, Rockville, Alexandria, Takoma Park, Chevy Chase, Arlington, and pretty much the entire city of DC west of the the river.

I don't think you grasp how much of the DC area inside the beltway is walkable.
Do you even know what Decatur is like? Of course you don't, because you're not from there.

Listen, you hit the U street a bit, then do your other tourist stuff. I feel that U street is the most interesting.

And don't take the train, because no Atlanta people know how that works. Just take a cab or uber. Driving isn't that bad here, but get ready for the bad 4pm traffic like in Atlanta, but worst. Bus service is decent, but if you're like me, you'll drive.

If you want old Buckhead, you look up Park Tavern in Arlington VA or go to U street. If you want Highlands/4 points, you go to Dupont Circle. If you want new midtown, go to the H street.

Just ask me, and I'll let you know where you should go. I'm from ATL too.

There is no other city that's closer to ATL than DC.

I have to think about Decatur. Police is different here.

Last edited by Plokivos; 01-01-2016 at 10:21 PM..

Old 01-01-2016, 10:18 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,754,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Comparing DC to Decatur, GA is like comparing Las Vegas to Charlestown races and slots.

The comparison is insulting to DC.
I think talking like that without knowing what you're talking about is a liability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: