Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 04:16 PM

18 posts, read 25,541 times

Advertisements

We like the walkable character, public transportation, local shops, diversity, proximity to all Atlanta has to offer, etc of Decatur, GA. Does DC have an equivalent? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 05:30 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
There are several walk-able neighborhoods with public transit in an around DC. Mentioning Decateur means very little, and honestly, Atlanta really is a second rate city compared to DC in terms of walkability and transit access. So please keep this in mind, the DC area has significantly more walkable communities than Atlanta, with significantly better transit, IN GENERAL. So lets say walkable subrubs with good public transit access....Bethesda, Silver Spring, Rockville, Alexandria, Takoma Park, Chevy Chase, Arlington, and pretty much the entire city of DC west of the the river.

I don't think you grasp how much of the DC area inside the beltway is walkable.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:25 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,217,234 times
I kinda feel like it might be Hyattsville, MD (the actual CITY not the surrounding neighborhoods with the Hyattsville zip code) if you're looking into DC's more urban suburbs. H-Ville City is also both Metro (our version of MARTA but slightly older and much more extensive in the subway and bus department) accessible and MARC (Maryland's commuter rail) accessible too with a growing number of small businesses and chains along Baltimore Avenue (US Route 1) and around University Town Center as well as an arts district. It's also pretty diverse as well with a population that's 35% Black, 34% Hispanic, 33% Caucasian/White, 21% Other, 4% Two or More Races, 4% Asian, and more than 1% Native American according to the 2010 census. Hyattsville City can have a few rough spots like the small area on its north side where the housing projects and most of the office buildings are but for the most part, it's a pretty nice blue collar/working class to mid-middle class leafy semi-urban suburb with an strong amount of subtle grit. It has a pretty solid number of small to medium-sized 1930s/40s era red brick and wooden homes with porches and/or small yards along with large apartment complexes and new contemporary residential construction.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:43 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,051 times
Pretty much what DistricSonic said.

I know Atlanta well and we have way more neighborhoods that are walkable/transit friendly here. Pretty much all the ones she listed are good options.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:33 PM

340 posts, read 377,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
I kinda feel like it might be Hyattsville, MD (the actual CITY not the surrounding neighborhoods with the Hyattsville zip code) if you're looking into DC's more urban suburbs. H-Ville City is also both Metro (our version of MARTA but slightly older and much more extensive in the subway and bus department) accessible and MARC (Maryland's commuter rail) accessible too with a growing number of small businesses and chains along Baltimore Avenue (US Route 1) and around University Town Center as well as an arts district. It's also pretty diverse as well with a population that's 35% Black, 34% Hispanic, 33% Caucasian/White, 21% Other, 4% Two or More Races, 4% Asian, and more than 1% Native American according to the 2010 census. Hyattsville City can have a few rough spots like the small area on its north side where the housing projects and most of the office buildings are but for the most part, it's a pretty nice blue collar/working class to mid-middle class leafy semi-urban suburb with an strong amount of subtle grit. It has a pretty solid number of small to medium-sized 1930s/40s era red brick and wooden homes with porches and/or small yards along with large apartment complexes and new contemporary residential construction.
As I was buying my house in the Hyattsville area, my wife and I started to think maybe we should move to Atlanta. Parts of Decatur, Kirkwood, Little Five Points, etc were the areas we thought felt most like the areas we liked in suburban DC. Those areas were priced a lot like DC too so we shut that down and eventually found in the Hyattsville area.

From my perspective, and similar to DistrictSonic above, I think Decatur resembles a lot of the Maryland suburbs outside of Washington DC inside of 495 and west of 295 plus parts of Alexandria and Arlington. I'd pinpoint Takoma Park as the closest with Silver Spring coming 2nd. You've got the hills, trees, old homes, transit, shops, etc. Bethesda and Chevy Chase are more like bigger versions of Virginia Highlands with a lot more new commercial development. Rockville is more like Atlanta outside of their own beltway, Dunwoody, Roswell type area. Still, DC is far more walkable than Atlanta in general, shops will be plentiful in most neighborhoods near a metro, many homes and buildings will have plenty of character, and diversity will be almost everywhere inside of the beltway.

Last edited by DoughLow805; 12-21-2015 at 04:46 PM..

Old 12-21-2015, 09:50 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
Comparing DC to Decatur, GA is like comparing Las Vegas to Charlestown races and slots.

The comparison is insulting to DC.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:15 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Comparing DC to Decatur, GA is like comparing Las Vegas to Charlestown races and slots.

The comparison is insulting to DC.
I would say this about Atlanta in general.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:21 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
I would say this about Atlanta in general.
I agree.

Atlanta is garbage.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:48 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,565,138 times
Comparing ATL to DC is an insult to DC. It's like comparing DC to NYC.......

Old 12-23-2015, 07:26 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
Comparing ATL to DC is an insult to DC. It's like comparing DC to NYC.......
Disagree. You wouldn't know how good DC is without comparing it to a lousy place like Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: