Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 10:27 AM

340 posts, read 377,251 times

Advertisements

What I've seen in the 7 years I've lived here, is that DC has the Half-Smoke and Mumbo Sauce.

Ben's Chili Bowl on U Street is probably the most landmark touristy restaurant in DC (not the new locations like H Street), which sells Half-Smokes, it's a historical marker and fun picture...I don't care for Ben's food personally, but I still take my visitors there. But if you want a good tasting Half-Smoke, go to DCity Smokehouse and order it there.

You can get some Mumbo Sauce Chicken Wings at almost any carry out in DC. I used to like getting them from Henry's on K, but they are closed now. Best I've had are at Halftime Sports on H St NE.

Georgetown Cupcakes on the other hand is good as advertised. It might not blow you away, but they are very good cupcakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 06:31 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,489,098 times
Horace and Dickies on H street NE is a DC landmark. Fried chicken, fries, white or wheat bread. Easy. Or Fish. Small family owned, line out the door at lunchtime and on Fridays.

Old 01-02-2016, 02:16 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,217,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
Horace and Dickies on H street NE is a DC landmark. Fried chicken, fries, white or wheat bread. Easy. Or Fish. Small family owned, line out the door at lunchtime and on Fridays.
Fish in the Hood on Georgia Ave and the Florida Ave Grill near Howard are other major DC landmark/neighborhood family-owned restaurants as well

Old 01-02-2016, 09:41 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Ben's Chili Bowl is just a hot dog place and nothing special.
Agree. I'll admit the actual Chili is pretty good. But the rest of the food is pretty basic. Ben's is a place you go if you happen to be in DC. But I would never go to DC just for Ben's like I would for food in other cities. I'll go to NYC, Miami, Philly, or Boston specifically for their unique food you can't get anywhere else. Not DC though.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:21 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
Finally, is there a such thing as DC food? I know its large and diverse, but there must be a regional type of cuisine,,

Thanks!
Ledo Pizza

But that's more Maryland, I guess.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:28 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,475,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Ledo Pizza

Man, do I miss Ledo's. Our family used to eat at the original location in Adelphi every week.

As for DC, the earlier recommendation of the Old Ebbitt Grill is good. Right adjacent to it is the W Hotel (formerly the Hotel Washington); if the rooftop bar is still there that IMO is one of the best places in DC to view a sunset.

The Calvert Cafe in Adam's Morgan (aka Mama Ayesha's) is also a longstanding institution. The Brickskeller is gone now, but RFD on 7th St. NW is a reliable beerpub.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:24 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
Quote:
Ledo Pizza

I forget about Ledo pizza. Probably the only pizza that is unique to DC and very good at the same time.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:12 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,051 times
I don't know why Chicago's Italian beef is not more popular. It is better than a Philly Cheesteak IMO. My friend from Chicago introduced me to it and put me in heaven.

I did find an Italian Beef foodtruck in DC once but I think it went out of business...

Old 01-04-2016, 08:34 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Also worth noting that Five Guys and Elevation Burger originated in the DC area - Arlington and Falls Church, respectively.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:50 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,217,234 times
Quote:
Also worth noting that Five Guys and Elevation Burger originated in the DC area - Arlington and Falls Church, respectively.
As well as &Pizza. As much as I love Ledo's and am a die-hard supporter, &Pizza is definitely a worthy rival for them.

Oh, and I think Matchbox is local to DC also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: