Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 01:56 PM

567 posts, read 890,223 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

So I decided to kick of my new year by planning a trip to our nation's capital. Therefore, I'm looking for things to do while visiting the city. Aside from the obvious, national monuments, white house zoo etc, what are some cool places and neighborhoods that are a must to visit? Finally, is there a such thing as DC food? I know its large and diverse, but there must be a regional type of cuisine,,

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 02:37 PM

56 posts, read 46,958 times
Thai Food.

Old 12-26-2015, 02:56 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
There is no DC food outside of Ben's Chili bowl and Georgetown cupcake (or Baked & Wired). But there are lots of good food choices. Just eat what you like.

Some cool neighborhoods and areas to walk through are Dupont, U Street, 14th Street, Georgetown, Chinatown and City Center/K Street.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:17 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,447,096 times
Make sure you have a half smoke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-smoke

Old 12-26-2015, 11:10 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
In terms of ethnic food...Ethiopian. The place to get it is Downtown Silver Spring (MD).

But DC is not really known for anything locally. Baltimore is better for crabs. We have crabcakes too.

We have good restaurants, but this is not going to Chicago for Italian Beef, or Philly for Cheesesteaks.
Neighborhoods are a bit easier, U St, Adams-Morgan, Dupont Circle, 14th St, Eastern Market/Barracks Row, Capital Hill, etc. Tourists like Georgetown, but most people who live in the city avoid it. Most people like Old Town Alexandria (Virginia). DC has really great neighborhoods these days. Every couple of years I have to add another to the growing list.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:29 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
Hey all,

So I decided to kick of my new year by planning a trip to our nation's capital. Therefore, I'm looking for things to do while visiting the city. Aside from the obvious, national monuments, white house zoo etc, what are some cool places and neighborhoods that are a must to visit? Finally, is there a such thing as DC food? I know its large and diverse, but there must be a regional type of cuisine,,

Thanks!
You have to be specific in your interests and we can pin point some places. Give us a timeline in terms of morning, afternoon, and evening. This is how I like to plan my trips. There are too many personalities with different interests that it will take pages before you can agree with someone that pairs with your interests.

Ok fine, you visit a neighborhood. But what do you plan to do- take pictures of cobble stones or looking for historic homes to visit? (not being sarcastic)

I'm not a foodie but I have never heard about any DC cuisine or go to favorite places as I have in other cities.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:22 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,630,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
Hey all,

Thanks!
For a weekend trip I would just stick to the touristy things like the National Mall area. As far as food goes I'll tell anyone to go to Old Ebbitt since its the oldest restaurant in DC and right across from the Treasury and White House. Ben's Chili Bowl is just a hot dog place and nothing special.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:50 AM

213 posts, read 227,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
In terms of ethnic food...Ethiopian. The place to get it is Downtown Silver Spring (MD).
Actually, there are some excellent Ethiopian places in the District as well. My personal favorite these days is Ethiopic on H St, NE. Prices are a bit on the plush side, but the food is outstanding:

Ethiopic - 160 Photos - Ethiopian - H Street Corridor/Atlas District/Near Northeast - Washington, DC - Reviews - Menu - Yelp

Dukem on U St, NW is also great:

Dukem Ethiopian Restaurant - 145 Photos - Ethiopian - U Street Corridor - Washington, DC - Reviews - Menu - Yelp

Both restaurants are also in busy nightlife areas, so you could hit up a bar or two afterwards if you wanted.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:56 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,360,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Moonstone View Post
Actually, there are some excellent Ethiopian places in the District as well. My personal favorite these days is Ethiopic on H St, NE. Prices are a bit on the plush side, but the food is outstanding:

Ethiopic - 160 Photos - Ethiopian - H Street Corridor/Atlas District/Near Northeast - Washington, DC - Reviews - Menu - Yelp

Dukem on U St, NW is also great:

Dukem Ethiopian Restaurant - 145 Photos - Ethiopian - U Street Corridor - Washington, DC - Reviews - Menu - Yelp

Both restaurants are also in busy nightlife areas, so you could hit up a bar or two afterwards if you wanted.

Add Selam to the list, 15th and U . Amazing food.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:52 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,217,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post

But DC is not really known for anything locally. Baltimore is better for crabs. We have crabcakes too.

We have good restaurants, but this is not going to Chicago for Italian Beef, or Philly for Cheesesteaks.
Neighborhoods are a bit easier, U St, Adams-Morgan, Dupont Circle, 14th St, Eastern Market/Barracks Row, Capital Hill, etc. Tourists like Georgetown, but most people who live in the city avoid it. Most people like Old Town Alexandria (Virginia). DC has really great neighborhoods these days. Every couple of years I have to add another to the growing list.
There's also great Ethiopian to be had around Park View, Shaw, U Street, 9th Street/Little Ethiopia, and Adams Morgan.

A personal favorite of mine is Zenebach Injera, which is a hole-in-the-wall on T Street NW in Shaw, less than a block from Howard Theater going towards LeDroit Park. The food is amazing and you'll find a good amount of seating (this is even more true during warmer seasons since the restaurant has outdoor seating). Enjoy the people-watching!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: