Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 02:51 PM

11 posts, read 13,273 times

Advertisements

You didn't say when you planned to come to the city, but for my money it's fall. A lot of summer tourists have left and there's no cherry blossom rush. Plus, IMO it's when the city is at its most beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 09:01 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,523,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
As well as &Pizza. As much as I love Ledo's and am a die-hard supporter, &Pizza is definitely a worthy rival for them.

Oh, and I think Matchbox is local to DC also.
The truth is, DC has a lot of unique restaurants with great food that are only found in DC. The problem is most of them are relatively new and haven't achieved "fame" yet. When tourists think "local food of a city" they are usually thinking "historic" food that has been a specialty of that city for many years to the point that the city is known for it. Besides Ben's Chili Bowl, there isn't much that qualifies in DC. Most of the food unique to DC came in the last 10 or 20 years.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:30 AM

708 posts, read 1,296,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
Hey all,

So I decided to kick of my new year by planning a trip to our nation's capital. Therefore, I'm looking for things to do while visiting the city. Aside from the obvious, national monuments, white house zoo etc, what are some cool places and neighborhoods that are a must to visit? Finally, is there a such thing as DC food? I know its large and diverse, but there must be a regional type of cuisine,,

Thanks!
Not sure if you realize that there are 19 Smithsonian Museums, a few away from the Mall, near Dulles Airport. All museums are free and the great variety is sure to appeal to you. If you coming before the middle of March it will cold, possibly snowing (slight chance) so you may want to be inside. Several of the museums are connected by an underground tunnel.

I have been going to the Smithsonian for over 50 years and I'm still not bored, primarily because the exhibits are changed on a regular basis and there have been new museums to open over time.

You need a pass to get into the White House. Check with your congressman or look up the requirements on the white house web site.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:12 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,218,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
The truth is, DC has a lot of unique restaurants with great food that are only found in DC. The problem is most of them are relatively new and haven't achieved "fame" yet. When tourists think "local food of a city" they are usually thinking "historic" food that has been a specialty of that city for many years to the point that the city is known for it. Besides Ben's Chili Bowl, there isn't much that qualifies in DC. Most of the food unique to DC came in the last 10 or 20 years.
That's definitely true but better late than never Another unique thing a few of DC's restaurants are capitalizing on but hasn't received much media attention outside of a few shows from Travel Channel such as Andrew Zimmern's Bizarre Foods America are snakeheads on the menu What better way to deal with an invasive species than to consume it, and quite a few people said it tastes pretty good. Hopefully that will become another iconic food staple for DC in the coming years.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:18 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,754,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
Hey all,

So I decided to kick of my new year by planning a trip to our nation's capital. Therefore, I'm looking for things to do while visiting the city. Aside from the obvious, national monuments, white house zoo etc, what are some cool places and neighborhoods that are a must to visit? Finally, is there a such thing as DC food? I know its large and diverse, but there must be a regional type of cuisine,,

Thanks!
Seriously. What is your idea of DC food? It's not like you haven't googled.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:34 PM

251 posts, read 342,022 times
Things to do or eat:

Crab cakes at Eastern Market
Take a spy-themed walking tour
DC has a large Ethiopian immigrant population so eating Ethiopian food here is a good idea!
For local fast food, try &pizza, sweet greens, or shophouse kitchen (Chipotle-owned Thai food)
For night life, hit up U Street/14th Street, Dupont Circle, or Adams Morgan

Old 01-07-2016, 07:22 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,218,713 times
OP should also check out Grand Trunk in the Penn Quarter neighborhood near National Archives if s/he has a taste for South Asian and Asian Fusion cuisines. The food is really good with amazing prices, awesome smoothies, and a pretty modern lounge-like atmosphere, it's one of the coolest restaurants in DC and I believe they have plans on becoming a local/regional chain. Grand Trunk is actually the world's first South Asian American fast food brand according to their website (which they should update, can only get the online menu on Yelp, Tripadvisor, Menupages, etc.).

Old 01-08-2016, 05:51 AM

219 posts, read 595,292 times
You should definitely check out Busboys and Poets (my favorite location is the one on 5th and K), which is a great DC based restaurant. I take all of my out of town guests there and they love it. The food and atmosphere is great with many different options (many options for vegans and vegetarians). Try there signature cocktail "DC Tap Water"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: