Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 06:44 AM

66 posts, read 283,076 times

Advertisements

My son is hoping to get a job soon with uniformed secret service. He and his wife will be looking for an apartment in a safe area with a commute of less than an hour. He doesn't mind the suburbs (Maryland or Virginia is fine) as they are homebodies and don't require restaurants or nightlife nearby. They would like to be near a metro stop.

I know this is a broad question but they live the Cherry Hill/Philadelphia area and don't know much about DC.

Any neighborhood suggestions?

Thank you very much.

Anne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 07:22 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,238,152 times
You need to define "not too expensive" first. What do they prefer to spend, and what's their upper limit?

Old 01-29-2011, 07:25 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,706,032 times
Silver Spring would be a great bet, if they get an apartment near the Metro there. Living near the Pentagon or Crystal City Metros wouldn't be bad either.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:55 PM

66 posts, read 283,076 times
Rent that was about $1200-$1500 a month? Does that seem doable?

Old 01-29-2011, 04:12 PM

423 posts, read 647,742 times
Its a possibility that you can do Logan Circle, search around on craigslist a bit.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:11 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,238,152 times
There are many neighborhoods in Virginia to choose from, with prices going lower the farther away from DC you go. But I think that it pays to be closer to work - especially for people in apartments who don't need a house with big yard or aren't looking for the best schools for kids.

Considering the close-to-work value, I second Pentagon City and Crystal City in Arlington, Virginia - it is doable for a 1 bedroom apartment under $1500. It's a very safe area, there is plenty of shopping close by, and income tax is less in VA than DC. If they really like city living, I'd recommend living in DC, but from your description it sounds like Virginia would suit them. It's an easy commute into DC. There is a Metrorail stop at Pentagon City, and another at Crystal City.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:03 AM

104 posts, read 208,239 times
This map shows the underground metro stations that remain open during heavy snowstorms (good for "essential employees" to consider)-

Metro - Getting Around - Safety & Security - Using Metro in a Snowstorm

The areas around the underground metro stations in Virginia probably have the best combination of safety/reasonable price.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:47 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,922,339 times
Secret service work is not just located at the White House. Your son could be assigned to the white house, or any number of executive buildings, or be assigned to protect foreign dignitaries somewhere else in the city or the country.

The secret service fleet, for example, is housed in SW DC, sort of between Smithsonian metro station and L'Enfant Plaza, when not in use. You can still get there from any of the areas mentioned above, but it is perhaps wise to consider that your son's commute may not be to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue every morning.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:01 PM

384 posts, read 1,030,286 times
To be quite frank, I think that budget is quite low if you want to live close in, near metro, and in a safe area. I guess there may be a one bedroom or efficiency in that price range.

I am going to recommend a few Virginia neighborhoods that you may want to take a look at:
Huntington (Alexandria), Kingstowne (Fairfax), Rosemont (Alexandria), and parts of Springfield/Franconia around the metro. If you take the metro or the bus, the commutes from those neighborhoods are roughly about 35-50 minutes. It can take longer due to weather, metro delay, or just a bad commuting day here.

I do like Pentagon City and Crystal City alot. If they see something in that price range, snap it up.
I think the Logan Circle suggestion was a good one. Walking to your job site is really the best commute of them all. There are new buildings in SW DC near the stadium that look really nice as well. In DC, I would look at Logan Circle, Woodley Park, or SW stadium area.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:43 PM

671 posts, read 1,120,356 times
I hope he has secured the job before he commits to an area. Unless he is making a regional departmental transfer this could be an issue. I don't think White House security takes random walk up candidates.

May I ask why Mom is posting for information for a grown man and his wife? This could pose a problem if they move into the district-there are helicopter restrictions in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC