Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 05:58 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,523,323 times

Advertisements

People need to understand that there is really no such thing as "safety". Any safety you feel is an illusion. You are not safe anywhere ever.

I still ride Metro completely worry free. If I'm meant to die in a Metro fire then that is what will happen. If I don't die by Metro I will die some other way regardless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 08:25 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,719 times
Absolutely not because I am not irrationally fearful. Driving a car regularly is much more dangerous. It is also hyper convenient for me to metro.

Do I think metro should improve...significantly. But I don't find it inherently dangerous.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:28 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,094,027 times
I try to carry bottled water, a snack (energy bar) and a mini-flashlight with me whenever I ride Metro now. I've done it ever since I got stuck on a hot, overcrowded train one morning when I'd skipped breakfast.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:11 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,569 times
I should be a journalist because I would put @unsuckdcmetro's sensationalism to shame. I have experienced a major delay on Metro like 1% of the time during rush hour (granted I avoid on weekends cuz of single tracking).

IMO a much bigger threat (although not enough to avoid Metro) are the crackheads on the trains. My mother was stalked by some druggie the other night. Gives me new appreciation for the crap women have to deal with. Of course all the professional dorks that ride Metro would never stick up for a woman so good luck counting on them. Im lucky to be a 6'6" man -- I wish I would find myself in such a situation.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:44 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,058,732 times
So a number of you are confident with metrorail...but does that include the green line.

As was told to me a few years back by a District resident: "stay off the green".

Old 05-03-2016, 07:54 AM

16 posts, read 22,253 times
For the most part yes. Since I can catch 1 bus to work and get on where I always get a seat. The thought of being stuck in a tunnel-especially a WMATA tunnel-on a train full of angry 9-5er's, pretentious gentrifiers, or unruly children makes me sick. At least I can fairly quickly hop off of a bus if needed.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:19 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,154,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
So a number of you are confident with metrorail...but does that include the green line.

As was told to me a few years back by a District resident: "stay off the green".
Never had an issue with green but never went past Navy Yard and have traveled all the way to Greenbelt. I live at Waterfront station. If you're thinking about taking the green at like 2:30 AM though, I'd cab it. Not saying it's dangerous, but how many people are really out that late on that line?

Old 05-04-2016, 06:25 PM

115 posts, read 273,796 times
I like the idea of the bus, and there are buses going where I need to go, but they are just so. much. slower. than the Metro. Necessary evil, I guess.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:44 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Quote:

You're fine on the train and even at the station itself on all the lines including the green line towards Branch. Ride it many times without any problems.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:22 AM

32 posts, read 42,179 times
Quote:

I ride the train from Pentagon City to Naylor Road on a daily basis with no issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: