Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 12:11 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,894,788 times

Advertisements

I've decided to take buses with the family instead of Metro Subway trains.
Other moms I've spoken with are doing the same thing. I am blessed that I don't need metro to commute to work. The DH commutes the subway stops no problem but has had to walk to work several times in the past year due to evacuations
I know I'll probably get into a car accident before a metro smoke emergency-its the stuck in the tunnel with no way out. There have been too many emergencies with subway stops- esp in April. I am claustrophobic so I'm scared I'll freak out with my kids during an arcing emergency.
Any other riders taking buses only?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 12:49 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,946 times
No. The Metro obviously needs a lot of backlogged maintenance but those smoke incidents are so rare, it's completely irrational to actually change your behavior for fear of them.
This is like refusing to fly because you think the plane might crash or refusing to swim in the ocean because you think you might get eaten by a shark. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if those two things were MORE likely to happen to any individual than a Metro smoke emergency.
But I've seen a lot of comments both in and on Washington Post articles to the effect of "I won't ride the Metro, it's too dangerous." It's head-smackingly stupid when you realize most of these people are probably driving instead - a mode of transportation that is many times over more dangerous than the Metro.

I get having irrational, emotional fears. I've dealt with fear of flying before. But I still will get on the plane when I need to fly somewhere, no matter how anxious I feel, because the logical side of my brain knows it's safe.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:51 PM

213 posts, read 227,913 times
I don't live in DC anymore, but I do come down every so often for work and to visit friends. I wouldn't freak out about Metro trains' safety (frankly DC and suburban drivers are far more dangerous since they refuse to yield to pedestrians). Yet I'd definitely skew my travel plans toward buses during nights and weekends because of Metro construction work.

The last time I was in DC, in November, I took Metro from Union Station to Braddock Road to visit friends. It took me almost an hour and a half to get down there - wait 20+ minutes for Red Line, take it to Gallery Place, wait 20+ minutes for Yellow Line. Screw that.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:11 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,153,639 times
The country as a whole has an aging infrastructure, putting more cars on the roads will be just as bad for the roads, highways, etc. And as another poster said, you'd more than likely get into a car accident than something happening to you on metro, but it is what it is at this point.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:09 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,991 times
No. I've sworn off driving.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:50 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Yes. This weekend I'm going to drive rather than Metro. When things get better, I will take Metro.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:20 PM

137 posts, read 252,968 times
I've sworn plenty while on Metro trains, in fact.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:25 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,384,153 times
No. Buses would be ridiculously inconvenient for me compared to the train.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:26 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
I've actually done the opposite. I recently started riding on metro again after mostly driving and taking buses for a long time.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:16 AM

32 posts, read 42,173 times
No matter how bad metro gets, it will never be as bad as driving to work in this area during rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: