Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 07:53 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,646,943 times

Advertisements

Once I got a "running a red light" ticket on K Street because my front bumper was 6 inches over the line when I was stopped at a red light.

I saw the pic and I was literally just sitting there.

Yeah, I'm all for DC traffic cameras, but only if they're reasonable. Ticketing you for going 3 mph over the limit or your bumper sticking out is a tad bit ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2020, 10:38 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
He doesn't have any to prove the point being made as things relate to DC or he would have posted some. All talk and no substance.
You guys are being a bit ridiculous. Just do a google search.

His post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Red light cameras absolutely make us safer. About a thousand people a year are killed in this country due to people running red lights.
https://www.npr.org/2019/08/29/75544...aa-study-finds

"The study looked at fatalities from 2008 to 2017, the most recent year data are available. Drivers blowing through red lights killed 939 people in 2017. That's an increase of 31% from a low in 2009, when 715 people were killed."

Old 02-28-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Once I got a "running a red light" ticket on K Street because my front bumper was 6 inches over the line when I was stopped at a red light.

I saw the pic and I was literally just sitting there.

Yeah, I'm all for DC traffic cameras, but only if they're reasonable. Ticketing you for going 3 mph over the limit or your bumper sticking out is a tad bit ridiculous.
The same thing happened to me. Right on 14th and K. I was sitting at a stop light, but the front end of my car crossed the white line by 3 feet. $150 ticket in the mail.

Old 02-28-2020, 11:49 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,564,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
The same thing happened to me. Right on 14th and K. I was sitting at a stop light, but the front end of my car crossed the white line by 3 feet. $150 ticket in the mail.
At least the school bus cameras have video. The red light cams should have video too. At least it would prove that you had actually stopped.

Old 02-28-2020, 02:45 PM

30,617 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
You guys are being a bit ridiculous. Just do a google search.

His post:

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/29/75544...aa-study-finds

"The study looked at fatalities from 2008 to 2017, the most recent year data are available. Drivers blowing through red lights killed 939 people in 2017. That's an increase of 31% from a low in 2009, when 715 people were killed."
I refused to do any research on the matter as I wasn't making the assertion that red light cameras make us safer. DCforever made that assertion, so the onus was on him to provide evidence to support that claim.

Of course, that the number of people killed by red light cameras has increased over the years (this doesn't mean much, alone, though as we also have more people in the country and behind the wheel today than we did ten years ago, so a proportional analysis is necessary at the very least) tells me nothing about how things were in DC.

Per the DC government's own mouth, they haven't studied whether the cameras have been efficient, which should be criminal. You don't enact policies just for the money-making hell of it.

Old 02-28-2020, 06:24 PM

^^^ Putting up cameras to monitor people break the law is not "enacting policy". It's simple just don't break the law. Again I say this as someone who has been ticketed in DC. I do feel however the fines are entirely too steep for what infraction takes place. That is where the city goes way overboard with it. $150 for being parked outside a white line, or crossing into a crosswalk by 3 feet at a red light is ridiculous in terms of fine.

Old 03-02-2020, 06:31 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,217,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
U dont have the authority to say who comes and goes into DC.....If I had my way johnny come lately gentrifiers wouldnt be able to file noise comolaints when long time residents play their gogo music, esp on 7th and Florida but hey i cant stop those botch arses from doing that.shoot DC city govt needs permission from congress to make most of their decisions so what makes u think youre the end all be all on who comes and goes? just stop
Yep, that post sounds like another entitled yuppie. Little do they know, a lot of the people driving in DC from elsewhere probably lived in DC before they moved here or at least have been driving in DC before they moved here and demanded the city submit to their whims.

Old 03-02-2020, 06:36 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,217,380 times
Haha this does remind of a time I was working for a small HvAC business and had to service the Wachovia (right before the recession) in Georgetown. I come out and see parking enforcement writing a ticket, I sneak around to the driver side of my work van and peel off. I could hear them telling me to stop, I said forget that lol. Stop for a ticket, you gotta be kidding me.

I felt a little redemption from that considering the month before that my van was booted in Capitol Hill, due to the person who had the van before me racking up parking tickets. It is definitely hard to park service vehicles in DC and haul that equipment lol.

Old 03-02-2020, 10:19 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
Pretty easy to avoid the cameras. I would guess that most of those that get tickets are tourists or commuters that don't know the area.

Old 07-05-2023, 05:18 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,564,472 times
What's the take on DC lowering the speeding limit to 25mph in various locations? I see the new signs posted and my god it's like you're crawling. Especially on 4 lane roads where the speed limit used to be 35mph.

Do you think this will increase traffic? (slowing the flow) Good or bad? What's next? 20mph?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: