Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2020, 09:28 PM

857 posts, read 1,200,843 times

Advertisements

Saw this on automotive forum so Im sharing the link here. Personally ive said this for years but its good to know someone like AAA sees what i see. I know alot of u are like "well no one should drive in DC anyway! use the metro or the buses" but that only holds so much validity when the metro is nowhere near as reliable as it once was and privileged entitled gentrifiers wanna hog all the access to reliable public transit lines to themselves. Personally, my observations show the cameras make traffic worse, and more accident prone, esp on 295. Puttin cameras on every major thoroughfare (esp New York Ave) which slows down traffic flow to that of a highly viscous fluid and on 295 people speed between cameras and then slam their brakes to avoid triggering them, causing even more accidents......I only cut through DC now bc Waze tells u where all the cameras are.....

https://wjla.com/features/7-on-your-...arking-tickets

WASHINGTON (WJLA/ABC7) – D.C. has long been considered one of the most onerous places in the country for traffic fines, seeing a steady climb year to year in tickets issued and revenue generated. But recently the District broke into stunning new territory, issuing more than $1 billion in tickets in just three years.

I don't know another local jurisdiction in the entire nation that has generated as much money from traffic tickets, parking tickets and moving violations," said John Townsend, Public Relations Manager of AAA Mid-Atlantic. “That tells us that things are out of control and out of hand in the District of Columbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2020, 01:01 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Given that I utilize WAZE, which maps out speed traps and red light cameras, I haven't been caught up in the mess yet. I highly encourage others to use the app

Old 02-24-2020, 06:54 AM

i mentioned the fact that i use Waze to bypass them...

Old 02-24-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
i mentioned the fact that i use Waze to bypass them...
It really is a great app.

Have you seen the empty police cars on the side of the freeways that have what appear to be speed cameras hooked to the front of the vehicles?

I'm not sure if these are actual speed cameras or if they are cameras in a testing phase to determine whether to put actual cameras in that location

Old 02-24-2020, 10:41 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,628,386 times
One of the main things I don't miss about DC is all the tickets I got throughout the years living there. Between parking and speeding tickets I'm guessing I spent at least $3,000, and I'm thinking that's low. It's the only city I've been to where cameras are everywhere to nail you for something and if you're a minute late feeding a meter you'll have a ticket on your windshield.

Old 02-24-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
One of the main things I don't miss about DC is all the tickets I got throughout the years living there. Between parking and speeding tickets I'm guessing I spent at least $3,000, and I'm thinking that's low. It's the only city I've been to where cameras are everywhere to nail you for something and if you're a minute late feeding a meter you'll have a ticket on your windshield.
they use to issue me tickets on streets i wasnt even parked on....

Old 02-24-2020, 08:41 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,992,465 times
All you have to do is obey the law.

Old 02-25-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
While this is a point well taken, there is also something to be said about enacting laws that actually solve problems, as opposed to merely lining the government's pockets. If speed cameras and red light cameras actually made us safer, then I'd say keep them. Hell, even increase the fees. But this doesn't seem to be the case, so I will continue to call out government greed here.

Old 02-25-2020, 07:25 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,569,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post

Some laws are meant to extract extra tax from the public in the guise of (fees). People called it when cameras were being installed. Ten years ago, we called all the fees and tickets DC started dishing out, the "DC visitor tax". Now we encourage all of our friends and family to valet. Parking is too risky.

And now that Uber is here, it is safer to Uber into DC. No risk of speed, red light, or parking fees. And as some valet fees are $20, Uber comes out the cheapest option. Or Metro if you live near a station.

Old 02-25-2020, 12:59 PM

209 posts, read 235,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While this is a point well taken, there is also something to be said about enacting laws that actually solve problems, as opposed to merely lining the government's pockets. If speed cameras and red light cameras actually made us safer, then I'd say keep them. Hell, even increase the fees. But this doesn't seem to be the case, so I will continue to call out government greed here.
Honestly, this is just a way for the city to collect tolls or pricing commuters, especially from the suburbs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: