Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 05:42 PM

76 posts, read 103,266 times

Advertisements

Dude, being a native of the DMV, I hear you. Currently in Arlington (its a mixed bag), will probably grab property in the city this year in a newly gentrified area. What I don't get is why you give 2 sh**ty rats asses about what SOME of your white neighbors think of you. I know who and what I am, and if you're bold enough to mean mug me in a building I'm paying market rate for, both of our moods are gonna be jacked.

MAN UP. I've had to check more then one neighbor. Even gave one guy above me--who did doggy olympics a couple times a week--the benefit of the doubt (before going to management)...explaining how bad the sound proofing was. When he flipped to douche mode, my PG county came out, and we haven't had any problems since. Give as good as you get, and enjoy your space. You payed for it with your hard earned money. Stop giving ignorant, suburban, first time city dwellers power over your mental health dude...come on cuz.

Unless someone has a material effect on your life, give em a real DC welcome and keep it moving.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:49 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,397,613 times
I see an equal amount of “racism” from both sides in DC.

Being a white latino (Brazilian), white Caucasian people confide all of their grievances, Behind closed doors who on social media are hardcore BLM and stuff, say their typical “thug” and criminal comments. Sometimes they even say a demeaning things about Latin people and they just want to die when they realize i an latin. And I’m from the North of Brazil, where African influence is large.

And on the flip side, I see a lot of openly racist tirades against White people very frequently on metro. Mostly teenagers to probably 33 years old. Randomly yelling at White people, using profanity and just going on and on. At L’enfant, there were some black girls sitting on the escalator that I was walking down. So I just stopped mostly because I was just tired, I wasn’t in a rush, exhausted. Minding my own business and next thing you know People are calling me a white ****, “white b’s too scared to ask a black person to move” and on and on.

And then there’s just dumb people in general who think they’re important or they’re just crabby people.

In any event. There are obnoxious, rude and racist people. I personally don’t think any particular race in DC overall is more racist than another. It feels very odd to me to move to an area I’m in love with and see people lament that white people are moving in. I don’t really know how to respond or how to feel when I read an OpEd in the WaPo lamenting White people coming back to the city. I think overall, people in Washington are very accepting. I didn’t say country or even the metro, strictly talking about DC in this case.

If you have douchebag neighbors, you have douchbag neighbors. White people are just difficult neighbors sometimes, lol. I say that with love, but I have some friends out in Loudon & Fairfax. Those HOA’s and the pettiness and drama of grown adults over the dumbest crap. Getting angry for no reason. Geez.

I hope you can enjoy your place and your neighborhood. It’s a great area. Don’t let them take that away from you.

Old 07-16-2020, 09:07 PM

48 posts, read 32,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I see an equal amount of “racism” from both sides in DC.

Being a white latino (Brazilian), white Caucasian people confide all of their grievances, Behind closed doors who on social media are hardcore BLM and stuff, say their typical “thug” and criminal comments. Sometimes they even say a demeaning things about Latin people and they just want to die when they realize i an latin. And I’m from the North of Brazil, where African influence is large.

And on the flip side, I see a lot of openly racist tirades against White people very frequently on metro. Mostly teenagers to probably 33 years old. Randomly yelling at White people, using profanity and just going on and on. At L’enfant, there were some black girls sitting on the escalator that I was walking down. So I just stopped mostly because I was just tired, I wasn’t in a rush, exhausted. Minding my own business and next thing you know People are calling me a white ****, “white b’s too scared to ask a black person to move” and on and on.

And then there’s just dumb people in general who think they’re important or they’re just crabby people.

In any event. There are obnoxious, rude and racist people. I personally don’t think any particular race in DC overall is more racist than another. It feels very odd to me to move to an area I’m in love with and see people lament that white people are moving in. I don’t really know how to respond or how to feel when I read an OpEd in the WaPo lamenting White people coming back to the city. I think overall, people in Washington are very accepting. I didn’t say country or even the metro, strictly talking about DC in this case.

If you have douchebag neighbors, you have douchbag neighbors. White people are just difficult neighbors sometimes, lol. I say that with love, but I have some friends out in Loudon & Fairfax. Those HOA’s and the pettiness and drama of grown adults over the dumbest crap. Getting angry for no reason. Geez.

I hope you can enjoy your place and your neighborhood. It’s a great area. Don’t let them take that away from you.
I wish that white people were honest and open about their racism. If you hate black people, just say it so that you can be exposed. I’m going to start posting the pictures of all of the people in the building who act in a racist manner toward me. Social media always has a way of making people regretful for their actions.

Old 07-17-2020, 08:57 AM

27,578 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Why exactly is it HIS responsibility to influence what other neighbors think of him? They aren’t helping to pay his rent so I’d say their opinion is irrelevant.

I think OP would be wise to let his idiot neighbors sit in their ignorance if they want to adopt that attitude. He has no responsibility to assure others he ain’t from the hood, like that is a bad thing anyway.
When a person moves into a luxury apartment in a tony neighborhood, it is a good idea to play the part or at least act like it.

People who live in most of Northwest DC consider themselves to be rather successful in life generally. This is regardless of race.

Old 07-18-2020, 08:50 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,753,437 times
I definitely understand what you are dealing with OP. I am also black and own my home in a mostly white neighborhood and I get the microaggression a lot mostly from the white "progressives" (and even other races) that are suppose to be open minded. I will get stares around my neighborhood when walking or when I get invited to parties will get ignored. I went to a next door neighbor's party and one of the guest assumed I was renting a room.

I hate to say it, but you cant control what people think. I just avoid those *******s or confront them and make them look ridiculous. Like I will say "and hello to you too Ken" if I get ignored or "uhmm I actually own my house, what makes you think I would rent a room?". Make them look foolish. Unfortunately the DC area has a lot of these "types".

Old 07-18-2020, 10:19 AM

48 posts, read 32,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
I definitely understand what you are dealing with OP. I am also black and own my home in a mostly white neighborhood and I get the microaggression a lot mostly from the white "progressives" (and even other races) that are suppose to be open minded. I will get stares around my neighborhood when walking or when I get invited to parties will get ignored. I went to a next door neighbor's party and one of the guest assumed I was renting a room.

I hate to say it, but you cant control what people think. I just avoid those *******s or confront them and make them look ridiculous. Like I will say "and hello to you too Ken" if I get ignored or "uhmm I actually own my house, what makes you think I would rent a room?". Make them look foolish. Unfortunately the DC area has a lot of these "types".
I’m sorry to hear that you’re dealing with that. It isn’t easy dealing with these people. It’s funny that these white “progressives” and their supporters from other races claim to be liberal, but are actually the most racist people around. I’m going to keep embarrassing these people in my building and shaming them. The leasing office sent out a memo to all residents in response to the flyers that I distributed. It essentially said that the community was an inclusive place and discrimination will not tolerated.

Old 07-18-2020, 02:49 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
OP, I think you fail to make the distinction between bias and discrimination.

All of us have biases, and yours are showing.

Looking at you is not being discriminatory. Trying to prevent you from using the facilities in your building, such as common areas or a pool or laundry facilities would be.

Your bias is the assumption that every white person you see is racist. Sadly, that will prevent you from ever getting to know those of us white folks who really do not give a hoot if you are black and would love to see if we share interests with you, from sports teams to any hobbies you might have.

Also, for those who are biased against blacks, doing things like the flyer will just strengthen it. Your community can only be inclusive if you are willing to be included.

Just my two cents worth.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:32 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,649,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCBlackDude View Post
I recently moved into one of the luxury apartments in Logan Circle on 14th Street. It seems like there’s some white person being disrespectful to me every single day that I’ve been here. Mind you, there’s only 5 other black people in the building. It almost feels like these white folks are threatened and upset that a black guy lives in the building.
I am black and used to live in DC. And this was my experience while living in a nice condo in DC that was 95% gentrified and white. I had a guy who stopped me from going into my own parking garage and blamed it on lots of thefts in the area...even though I'd been living there for a year.

Some of these white liberals are the most racist people I've come across.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:12 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
When a person moves into a luxury apartment in a tony neighborhood, it is a good idea to play the part or at least act like it.

People who live in most of Northwest DC consider themselves to be rather successful in life generally. This is regardless of race.
He plays the part when he pays his rent. It is not his responsibility to correct someone else’s ignorant judgements.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:14 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,630,503 times
You all need to stop feeding into this BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: