Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 10:53 AM

18 posts, read 70,196 times

Advertisements

I know that there's been a lot of chatter recently here about the SE and ballpark area. Are there things like grocery stores, restaurants, etc., going in? What's within walking distance of the new Jefferson & Axiom apartment buildings?

Plenty of (relatively) affordable luxury apartments are going in, I didn't know if the infrastructure was already in place or if it's coming. .

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 11:32 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,162,957 times
This website www.jdland.com highlights you eveything you need to know about the Ball Park District.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:41 AM

Thanks

Old 08-06-2008, 02:41 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,214,790 times
I stayed there a couple weeks back. I was at the Best Western on M and South Capital. There was construction EVERYWHERE. Can't wait to see what it looks like when they are finished. Walking around wasn't too bad at all. I did hear gunshots at night from my hotel, but I have no idea how close they were.

One problem I noticed was that there was not anything around there as far as food or shopping. However, I'm guessing that with all of the construction, that problem will be solved soon enough.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:19 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,088,424 times
FWIW, when I lived in SW I experienced a problem similar to what you may experience in the new ballpark area: helicopters.

The Anacostia and Potomac Rivers are helicopter 'routes' in and out of the DC. The DC Police heliport (SoCap Bridge) and the NAS Anacostia (Marine One, etc) and the Park Police Heliport (Eagle's Nest) are all right there, not to mention the transients going to places like the NSA, CIA, and the Pentagon.

I remember living down there in the 'old' days of National Airport, i.e. when everyone knew when it was 7:00am as that was when the noise restriction got lifted (and everyone woke up). But jets were nothing compared to the military Hueys and Blackhawks that go up and down the river. And if you are coming from another town you need to realize that when I say helicopters I definitely mean it in the 'plural'--there is probably more helicopter traffic right around that area than any other city in the country (except those with a military airfield next door). It can get really crazy.

If you are considering a property in the new baseball area, you may want to consider how close to the Anacostia you are (or whether say you have an exposure that looks right at it) as I would suspect you'll have some noise issues with all the choppers.

Last edited by PenguinSix; 08-06-2008 at 03:37 PM..

Old 08-06-2008, 03:35 PM

The building we like is the Jefferson at Capitol Yards, it's got great amenities, not to mention the first two months rent are waived with a year lease.

My uncle checked out the place for me today, since he works at the Navy Yards. Although the area is lacking currently, in a year or so it'll be completely different.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:30 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
I live nearby in SW (3rd & G) and really like it so far. In general, it's very safe and fairly quiet (at least, on my side). The main problem is the fact that most things in the area are "coming soon," but not actually there yet. It's an interesting thing to watch, and even with the market the way it is there still seems to be a lot of activity going on. I hear helicopters, but not to the extent that it bothers me. Occasionally I'll hear one at night, but I think most come during the day when I'm at work. Come summer time you'll hear lots of fireworks as well (for holidays on the Mall and also from the Nationals stadium).

As far as things to do in the area, your best bet for now would be to walk up South Capitol St or New Jersey Ave to Capitol Hill or over to Eastern Market. Along Pennsylvania Avenue and then 8th Street there's a bunch of restaurants, cafes, coffee shops, etc. As far as grocery stores, there's a Safeway at 4th & M Street SW, but it's very small and not worth your time. I generally go to the Harris Teeter or Safeway near 14th & Pennsylvania Avenue in Capitol Hill. Both are pretty nice, and there's also a CVS right there as well. It's a quick drive if you have a car, or a hefty walk. For metro, you can walk up to Capitol South to get on a blue or orange train, or be really lazy and take the green line over to L'Enfant and transfer.

Another place for restaurants is Penn Quarter/Chinatown. Just get on the metro at Navy Yard, and ride it for 5-10 minutes up to Archives or Gallery Place/Chinatown. You can walk, it would just be a little long. There's some other things down by the Waterfront as well (Fish Market, a few restaurants), but I haven't been down there yet so I can't really say much.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:10 AM

juniper... before I got to the bottom of your post, I was just about to ask what the Waterfront was like. I almost went over there, but decided not to.

This actually seems like it might be a good area to live if I end up working for DCFD.(PGFD would put me in their fire house.) Even though there is still a lot that has to happen yet, there is very easy access to everything else.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:18 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
juniper... before I got to the bottom of your post, I was just about to ask what the Waterfront was like. I almost went over there, but decided not to.

This actually seems like it might be a good area to live if I end up working for DCFD.(PGFD would put me in their fire house.) Even though there is still a lot that has to happen yet, there is very easy access to everything else.
Haha, I know, it's all of 4 blocks from my house and I never go. I really should work on that. I've heard good things, although much of it is under construction now. The plans look pretty impressive, though.

It's definitely worth looking into. Especially if you want to live in DC, you can't beat the price for the neighborhood's proximity to everything. That's what got me here.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:27 AM

Was looking at the apartment complexes on that site and saw a new area of rowhomes that were being built. 12 blocks of them near Eastern Market. Here's a link to a video. I guess people were camping out to get them.

Buyers Camp Out For Housing Deals - Videos - WRC

The apartments I looked at are WAY out of my price range though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC