Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 8,918 times

Advertisements

I am the sole person on the lease to my apartment. I have a flat-mate who rents a room from me in the same apartment. When flat-mate moved in, I offered flat-mate a subleasing agreement (which my lease allows, and which my landlord verbally consented to). Flat-mate opted out of a sublease, and agreed to pay month to month. Now, for compelling personal reasons (I feel threatened), I want flat-mate out of my apartment. Can I give flat-mate a month's notice demanding him to move out?

More details: Flat-mate doesn't pay rent to the landlord. He pays is directly to me and I pay the landlord. The only thing in flat-mate's name is the Comcast bill. Also, I'm happy to give flat-mate 30 days notice -- I have his security deposit, so that covers that loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 01:50 PM

470 posts, read 2,096,069 times
My real estate license expired years ago, but it seems to me you have every right to ask him to be gone in 30 days.

In fact, since he didn't request a lease for his own protection, you could tell him to be out tomorrow I'd imagine.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 8,918 times
Thanks very much for your response. I appreciate it.

Eager to hear legal advice from anyone out there as well.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:35 PM

32 posts, read 143,293 times
Be very careful about your safety!!! This happened to my family once -- we rented a room in our house to a guy who claimed to be a PhD student. He had his name on the cable bill and a fake ID and everything. Turned out he was a homeless alcoholic bum (as well as an incredibly good & manipulative liar). He refused to pay rent once he moved in, stole our possessions, and hacked into our computers. When we asked him to leave, he pretended to pack his things, promising to leave in an hour, and then returned to the house with a gun. Thankfully, nobody was hurt, but he trashed his room and caused over $3000 of damage. (I like how he had no money for rent, but had plenty of money for guns and booze ::sarcasm intended).

If your unwanted roommate is in ANY WAY violent, make sure you can protect yourself, and get some reinforcement (landlord, friend, etc.). You don't want him going psycho on you.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:49 PM

27 posts, read 146,131 times
Question? Do you live in DC? If so the laws are very iffy. You can give him a 30 day notice however; if he wanted to be ugly and take you to court, it could drag out for months. Hopefully, he will leave after being served the 30 day notice. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC