Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 10:37 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,464,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
got a link for that one?
It turns out I was wrong about my speculation about the HIV rate in DC, but here are a couple of links for the second statement.

Aidsmap | Genital herpes common in African American men

http://www.cdc.gov/nchstp/dstd/Press...ricans2000.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 01:13 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Obviously I am familiar with HIV/AIDS, but I have not studied the disease in depth, so maybe someone can answer my question: Isn't HIV/AIDS a disease that is generally propogated by derelict behavior (e.g. drug use/unprotected sex)?

I'll try not to let my conservative views get in the way, but it seems that it would be more prudent to just stop the behavior. Yes, I know, that's not a practical solution. But guess what, I highly doubt that i'll ever contract the disease. Why? Because I don't engage in derelict behavior!

Now incurable cancers, that's a cause that I can support dropping billions of dollars of research into.

I've got my gear on...let the flaming begin!

Old 03-19-2009, 02:50 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,389,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Obviously I am familiar with HIV/AIDS, but I have not studied the disease in depth, so maybe someone can answer my question: Isn't HIV/AIDS a disease that is generally propogated by derelict behavior (e.g. drug use/unprotected sex)?

I'll try not to let my conservative views get in the way, but it seems that it would be more prudent to just stop the behavior. Yes, I know, that's not a practical solution. But guess what, I highly doubt that i'll ever contract the disease. Why? Because I don't engage in derelict behavior!

Now incurable cancers, that's a cause that I can support dropping billions of dollars of research into.

I've got my gear on...let the flaming begin!
So Mr. Conservative- hypathetically speaking what if a young lady was raped by someone who had aids- she contracted it and got pregnant from the rap as well- She (being conservative also) didn't believe in abortion and gave birth to a child with the disease because of the circumstances. What can be done about this situation? Sure children born with Aids in the United States is a rarity, but in 3rd world countries it's common and a reality. Sure people should be more responsible for their actions, and sometimes one person mistake jepordizes someone else (in this case children). Shouldn't there be a cure for people who contracted the disease with no fault of there own?

Old 03-19-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
So Mr. Conservative- hypathetically speaking what if a young lady was raped by someone who had aids- she contracted it and got pregnant from the rap as well- She (being conservative also) didn't believe in abortion and gave birth to a child with the disease because of the circumstances. What can be done about this situation? Sure children born with Aids in the United States is a rarity, but in 3rd world countries it's common and a reality. Sure people should be more responsible for their actions, and sometimes one person mistake jepordizes someone else (in this case children). Shouldn't there be a cure for people who contracted the disease with no fault of there own?
I do not disagree with you at all, and I have total sympathy for those in that situation. A cure would absolutely be a step in the right direction. However, third-world countries are in a league of their own, and a solution to the disease problems there are rooted in their culture and are very complex.

In the United States however, there is no excuse in my opinion. HIV/AIDS-related rape is likely a rarity, and unfortunately, doesn't grab the public's attention beyond pulling on heart-strings. That leaves derelict behavior to be the prime spreading of the disease. The key, to me, is personal responsibility. You reap what you sow. I speed, I get a speeding ticket. I eat Big Mac's daily, I get fat. I have unprotected sex or use dirty needles, I get AIDS. It's time for American's to take responsibility for their actions. Funding for a cure is certainly a start, but wouldn't it be alot easier if people could gain a little control of themselves?

Mr. Conservative

Old 03-19-2009, 04:43 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,389,774 times
^ fair enough

Old 03-19-2009, 06:23 PM

573 posts, read 2,505,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Funding for a cure is certainly a start, but wouldn't it be alot easier if people could gain a little control of themselves?
I totally agree, I'm all about safe sex but there will always be some chance of getting it, even if it is only like 1%. So unless America suddenly abandons having sex (haha) there is no 100% positive way to not contract it.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:23 AM

180 posts, read 667,011 times
I say, more than a change in behavior, really aggressive testing is the answer. It typically spreads because people don't know they have it. I mean, honestly, how many people will intentionally spread AIDS?

Test every time a person goes to the doctor/ER. Test at the DMV when renewing DLs. Test in churches. Test when you apply for unemployment, food stamps, disability, social security, or anything else. If you make testing frequent and mandatory, you take away the stigma of getting tested and would seriously curb the transmission - saving lives. DC has started testing everyone when they go into and leave jail/prison (which actually accounts for much of the spike in DC's statistics recently). Once you know, you can get treatment and would likely change you behavior.

If you wanted to go a step beyond that, we already know how to eliminate HIV/AIDS in about 2 generations. It's just expensive and would require worldwide cooperation, so nobody is seriously considering it. See, if you catch HIV early enough, there is actually treatment that will keep you from spreading it. If everybody were routinely tested and put into treatment when it's caught, the spread would completely end. When all the infected do eventually die, they would take the virus with them.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejamon View Post
I say, more than a change in behavior, really aggressive testing is the answer. It typically spreads because people don't know they have it. I mean, honestly, how many people will intentionally spread AIDS?

Test every time a person goes to the doctor/ER. Test at the DMV when renewing DLs. Test in churches. Test when you apply for unemployment, food stamps, disability, social security, or anything else. If you make testing frequent and mandatory, you take away the stigma of getting tested and would seriously curb the transmission - saving lives. DC has started testing everyone when they go into and leave jail/prison (which actually accounts for much of the spike in DC's statistics recently). Once you know, you can get treatment and would likely change you behavior.

If you wanted to go a step beyond that, we already know how to eliminate HIV/AIDS in about 2 generations. It's just expensive and would require worldwide cooperation, so nobody is seriously considering it. See, if you catch HIV early enough, there is actually treatment that will keep you from spreading it. If everybody were routinely tested and put into treatment when it's caught, the spread would completely end. When all the infected do eventually die, they would take the virus with them.
Sounds reasonable to me. I suspect our good friend the ACLU would have a difficult time accepting it, but then again, they've never been what I would call reasonable to begin with.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:41 PM

57 posts, read 386,100 times
Quote:
Test every time a person goes to the doctor/ER. Test at the DMV when renewing DLs. Test in churches. Test when you apply for unemployment, food stamps, disability, social security, or anything else. If you make testing frequent and mandatory, you take away the stigma of getting tested and would seriously curb the transmission - saving lives.
That would be very unfair to people who are in monogamous relationships and those who are not engaging in illicit sexual or drug-related activities. To make routine testing mandatory for everyone would only punish those who live responsibly.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:58 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,641,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedanderson View Post
That would be very unfair to people who are in monogamous relationships and those who are not engaging in illicit sexual or drug-related activities. To make routine testing mandatory for everyone would only punish those who live responsibly.
It's not a punishment at all to get tested. If the person is hiding something from his.her mate then I can see someone refuse but if they're in a legit relationship/marriage there shouldn't be a problem with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC