Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:26 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,959,859 times

Advertisements

The green line serves more troublesome neighborhoods. You will need to be more cautious of your choice of address along the green line, generally speaking, than you will along other metro lines.

I would not recommend Anacostia or Naylor Road. There are crime and safety issues, but also quality of life issues. Crossing the Anacostia River changes things entirely, unfortunately, because there is only one metro line and few bridges that cross the river. So these neighborhoods are kind of cut off from the rest of the city. You also might want to look into travel times. WMATA has a trip planner you can use to estimate--but they are always overly optimistic, so you'll want to double whatever time they say it will take to get somewhere.

Greenbelt is pretty suburban. Although you can get from the Howard U to the metro station, once in Greenbelt you will likely need a car to get around. Mount Vernon Square and Chinatown are nice areas. Problem is they've largely been rebuilt in recent years with lots of luxury condos. I don't know that you could find an affordable apartment in these areas.

You might want to look at Columbia Heights, Mount Pleasant, Petworth, or Fort Totten. Most of Adams Morgan is an easy walk to the green line and it is a popular neighborhood for college students--cheap rent, late night coffee shops, etc.

Also remember, just because Howard is on the green line doesn't mean you have to live on the same line. Transfers are easy. I would also suggest you look at the Howard University shuttle route map to see what neighborhoods that opens up.

Last edited by kodaka; 04-06-2010 at 09:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 10:13 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,731,965 times
A lot of UMD students have apartments at this complex called Towers at University Town Center. I'm pretty sure it's right next to the PG Plaza Metro station. If you can get a roommate it's pretty cheap.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:07 PM

123 posts, read 505,427 times
Get yourself a nice little studio at the Georgian Towers (georgia ave) in Silver Spring. It'll set you back about a grand (1,000) or less. Straight shot down Georgia Ave by car/bus to HU and an easy commute by train on the red to the green. gl

Old 04-06-2010, 05:16 PM

42 posts, read 99,606 times
"Yes, you will find that Metro trains are very clean compared to NYC trains. I wouldn't dine off of them, but they're clean. They are also quite comfy if you get a seat, not so comfy if you're standing like packed cattle during rush hour. Metrorail is a fine service overall... when it runs properly, it's awesome. Sadly they've been recently plagued by service issues due to a variety of things, so that can cause some headaches especially for commuters. Overall though I like Metrorail. Metrobus is good in the city, but in suburbia it isn't so hot."

Hmm. I am a 21 year old with invisible disabilities and cannot stand on public transit. I wonder how completely awful my internship program is going to be in the winter. On the public transit here you are required to move or stand if you sit in a disabled designated seat and a disabled person gets on the bus, but since I look young and healthy I usually can't ask without being berated right off the bus for "lying."

Old 04-06-2010, 08:49 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,731,965 times
You shouldn't find it too difficult. I bet trains will still be in manual mode when you come, so they pull up to the front edge of the platform. Nobody seems to remember this, so the first car (sometimes first two) has way less people on it.

Also if the platform you're on is really crowded during rush hour, wait for a train or maybe even two trains to pass by to thin it out a little bit. They run with enough frequency.

If you can get a 'disability card' (if such things exist) that'd make it a lot easier though.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:36 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,744,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedxKiss View Post
"Yes, you will find that Metro trains are very clean compared to NYC trains. I wouldn't dine off of them, but they're clean. They are also quite comfy if you get a seat, not so comfy if you're standing like packed cattle during rush hour. Metrorail is a fine service overall... when it runs properly, it's awesome. Sadly they've been recently plagued by service issues due to a variety of things, so that can cause some headaches especially for commuters. Overall though I like Metrorail. Metrobus is good in the city, but in suburbia it isn't so hot."

Hmm. I am a 21 year old with invisible disabilities and cannot stand on public transit. I wonder how completely awful my internship program is going to be in the winter. On the public transit here you are required to move or stand if you sit in a disabled designated seat and a disabled person gets on the bus, but since I look young and healthy I usually can't ask without being berated right off the bus for "lying."
That's unfortunate. Maybe you could get a note from a doctor to show people.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:54 AM

466 posts, read 1,628,097 times
Default yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
A lot of UMD students have apartments at this complex called Towers at University Town Center. I'm pretty sure it's right next to the PG Plaza Metro station. If you can get a roommate it's pretty cheap.
I checked out Towers at University town center, and i love it. And right next to a Metro! I will move here, unless there is something better.
I currently live in student style apartments and i love how it is safe and fully furnished.

Also, it says the cheapest Georgian tower studio in Silver Spring is from $1400-1800 so i can't afford it.

anyone know of any other student type housing near a metro station? thanks for the help.

Last edited by SuperKirby; 04-07-2010 at 03:21 AM..

Old 04-07-2010, 12:27 PM

123 posts, read 505,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKirby View Post
I checked out Towers at University town center, and i love it. And right next to a Metro! I will move here, unless there is something better.
I currently live in student style apartments and i love how it is safe and fully furnished.

Also, it says the cheapest Georgian tower studio in Silver Spring is from $1400-1800 so i can't afford it.

anyone know of any other student type housing near a metro station? thanks for the help.

Thats not the only apartment complex in the area of downtown S.S There're plenty. I just named one. You can't go wrong at the town center too. Also, when you call these places ask for specials. You may just get one. gl

Old 04-07-2010, 04:01 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,967,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKirby View Post
Thanks

It turns out im going to attend Howard U instead because of cheaper tuition prices. Looks like it would be ideal to live on the Greenline? Anywhere near 7th street is good? What is Mt Vernon Square like? Is there any ideal place for a college student on the green line that is safe/okay priced?

How is the area around/in chinatown? is it safe? What are rent prices there like? I hear DC is pretty expensive. I prefer to live near all these areas because its close to HU/greenline. What are other areas near the greenline like? such as Naylor Road, Anacostia, or even more north like greenbelt or college park-u of MD?
yea take Anacostia and Naylor Road off your list, and that would go for any station east of the Anacostia river on the green, blue, or orange lines, although I would say the area around Branch Ave Station is okay, but you may need a car if venturing out into PG county and other places, but then again you have the station right there.

I agree with FT. Totten and the area around PG plaza. I'd recommend College park as well.

Last edited by BKmachine; 04-07-2010 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: More info added

Old 04-07-2010, 04:02 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,967,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
there is only one metro line and few bridges that cross the river. So these neighborhoods are kind of cut
the Orange and Blue lines cross the river too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC