Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 06:05 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,572,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKirby View Post
thanks. so out of Columbia Heights, Mount Pleasant, Petworth, Fort Totten, and Adams Morgan, how would you rate what is safest to walk at night (I dont have a car)?
I know i will do lots of study sessions with classmates around town/on campus/library, and tend to go home late, as I always did in undergrad.
Would you rate Adams Morgans as safest overall?
(reminder, im going to HU)
Probably Adams-Morgan, it's generally fine. Mount Pleasant is fine, too. Petworth and Ft. Totten I'm not as familiar with, since I'm rarely in those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 11:57 PM

466 posts, read 1,626,567 times
how about walking home at night at Prince George plaza station in MD? i heard its pretty unsafe.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:11 PM

54 posts, read 202,300 times
I love being in the district. Because of the government there is always work. I have worked in several fields effortlessly and could walk away from a job and immediately get another.Gentrification has occured for close to 10 years from what I've seen. Since 02 everything has changed. I suggest living close to a station. When I first moved on my own I moved next door to a green line station to make sure I didn't have to wander around in the neighborhood plus it's safer that way...Pretty much in any city...It's best to make sure you have a direct route home. Anyway you'll like it here. A lot is going on downtown. Adam's Morgan and Connecticut Ave has things everywhere and there are even lounges etc being built in your area. Howard is on an extremely busy street..Gentrification is a bit slow there but you'rwe lucky to have things close by. Apartments near howard can be affordable. They even have apartment lists where home investors specifically rent to students for less money. Just ask abotu the howard apartment board list where property owners post rental apartments.

You'll like it. Oh and check apartmentratings.com for wherever you decide to go.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:15 PM

54 posts, read 202,300 times
Quote:
how about walking home at night at Prince George plaza station in MD? i heard its pretty unsafe.
5 years ago I dated someone and used to walk around PG Plaza. There are millions of buses that travel through the area. I suggest taking a bus or cab. But if you're going to go to Howard... LIVE IN THE CITY! you should find a place close by so you can go out and have fun. if you're gonna be in pg county it's going to require more effort. Just get a place in NE DC. The east side is cheaper and NE and nicer than SE and it closely rivals NW which is the most expensive quadrant. Any apt in NE DC or even NW on georgia ave would be cool. You can get a 1 bedroom for under 1000 which is good for a college student's budget. Hell you can so a studio for around 800 somewhere nearby. if you need any help just send me a message

Old 05-12-2010, 03:31 PM

thanks for the info. You're right, i decided to live in the city and bike to school.
what is the area around columbia heights metro station like? safe to walk around at night? is biking to Howard from columbia heights metro station area safe?

Old 05-12-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
thanks for the info. You're right, i decided to live in the city and bike to school.
what is the area around columbia heights metro station like? safe to walk around at night? is biking to Howard from columbia heights metro station area safe?
Around the Metro station you're going to be fine--lots of traffic (car and pedestrian) so not much riff-raff. The residential streets are hit and miss. Some are fine, others are best avoided. Personally, I'd feel OK biking between the two points, but everyone's level of personal safety and comfort is going to change depending upon their own preferences.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Around the Metro station you're going to be fine--lots of traffic (car and pedestrian) so not much riff-raff. The residential streets are hit and miss. Some are fine, others are best avoided. Personally, I'd feel OK biking between the two points, but everyone's level of personal safety and comfort is going to change depending upon their own preferences.
Thanks. Do you think biking from chinatown to Howard is safer? I was thinking of living in chinatown area, or columbia heights metro station area.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:00 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,255,603 times
Quote:
Thanks. Do you think biking from chinatown to Howard is safer? I was thinking of living in chinatown area, or columbia heights metro station area.
The thing about Columbia Heights is that its still transitioning I guess you could say. So as mentioned there are good blocks and not so good blocks. The area immediately around the metro station is pretty quiet. I've met plenty of young college grads and students who live in Columbia Heights and do fine but you just have to be careful with some of the cheaper apartments usually cheaper for a reason. Mt. Pleasant is a better alternative in my opinion. Also Petworth is an option too less excitement but not as pricey.

Chinatown covers an extremely small area so it probably isn't Chinatown proper but yeah that area is okay. If money was a concern I'd pick Capitol Hill over either of those neighborhoods but that's not as convenient if one is biking though.

Petworth is an option. Don't know much about that area only went there one time but it seemed quiet enough.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Petworth is an option. Don't know much about that area only went there one time but it seemed quiet enough.
Petworth's definitely less expensive, and less noisy. And less amenities.

Pretty much less of everything, lol.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:17 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,255,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Petworth's definitely less expensive, and less noisy. And less amenities.

Pretty much less of everything, lol.
That's a point. I only mentioned Petworth because it's an option for someone who wants to be in the city but finds the more popular neighborhoods cost prohibitive.

I have a friend who's gaga about the house he's buying in Brightwood which is also very quiet and away from the excitement but still in the city. I don't know I think there's something to be said for a little hush hush.

That's def what I like about where I live. If I want a nice restaurant Shirlington is just a mile down the hill and the bright lights of the city are just a 10-15 minute drive but my street itself is shhhh...be quiet. Not that I'd recommend my neighborhood for someone without a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC