Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 02:06 PM

5 posts, read 11,058 times

Advertisements

I am applying for Job Corps and I am thinking I might be placed at the location in Sedro-Woolley. I have searched information about Sedro-Woolley and have not found much. Does anybody know anything about Sedro-Woolley?

Last edited by scirocco22; 09-19-2010 at 09:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 08:41 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,648,291 times
Default Sedro Woolley

Interesting place. Honestly the best part of Sedro isn't Sedro itself, but what it's reasonably close to...

North Cascades National Park
Mt. Vernon/Burlington
The San Juans
Clear Lake
Big Lake
Hiway 20 (So you can leave town.)
Hiway 9 (So you can leave town)

It's a small town with a small town mindset. Very conservative. Don't be shocked to see a Dixie Flag on the back of 4 wheel pickups.

Now here's the worst part. The dirty little secret.

It's teeming with Sex Offenders. Don't ask me why.

Skagit County Sheriff's Office OffenderWatch® sex offender management, mapping and email alert program

Old 09-18-2010, 05:09 PM

615 posts, read 1,075,301 times
Hm, it's a quiet town or very small city. Hick, yet quaint, very close to Burlington and Mt Vernon which have most stores and other services you would need. There seem to be a lot of old people there into gardening, judging from from all the old houses with very maintained gardens. There are also a lot of "at risk" young people that hang out on their street all day because they have nothing to do and no money to do it with.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:33 PM

8 posts, read 36,750 times
What do you want to know exactly?

Sedro-Woolley is fine for outdoor activites but if you're more of a city person you'll have to travel a bit.

I'm not entirely familiar with the area where the Job Corp is located but I'm pretty sure it's in the middle of nowhere, but since Sedro-Woolley doesn't exactly have a huge downtown area it doesn't really matter that you're not close to downtown (Sedro-Woolley's downtown is basically one street that pretty much consists of a couple of video stores, some small bars and resturants, a few pawnshops, plus a Burger King and grocery store by the highway).

Most of the people from Job Corp go to the two towns south of Sedro-Woolley; Burlington and Mount Vernon, Burlington has a small mall w/theater and an outlet mall, Mount Vernon has a theater that shows limited release movies, and they both have a lot more bars/resteraunts and places to shop then Sedro-Woolley.
There is also Anacortes west of Mount Vernon which is about the same size as MV, and Oak Harbor on Whidbey Island.

But if you want to go to a bigger city there are also buses that go to Everett and Bellingham, though they run less often.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,716 times
I went to high school there; it has changed alot since then (and not for the good). It has a pretty high crime rate (I could say more but won't). Protect your property; don't leave anything out. Don't wear any jewelry even moderately expensive. Keep your drapes closed and your locks locked. Get a place with a garage and keep all your things including your vehicle in it at night. I'm really sorry to have to say all this but my 79-y.o. dad still lives there and he has been "taken advantage of" more times than I can count. Take care

Old 09-21-2010, 09:02 PM

688 posts, read 1,489,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalazuu View Post
I am applying for Job Corps and I am thinking I might be placed at the location in Sedro-Woolley. I have searched information about Sedro-Woolley and have not found much. Does anybody know anything about Sedro-Woolley?
Is Sedro-Woolley anything like Sam the Sham's "Wooley Bully?"

Old 01-03-2014, 03:29 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,828,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy Rey View Post
I went to high school there; it has changed alot since then (and not for the good). It has a pretty high crime rate (I could say more but won't). Protect your property; don't leave anything out. Don't wear any jewelry even moderately expensive. Keep your drapes closed and your locks locked. Get a place with a garage and keep all your things including your vehicle in it at night. I'm really sorry to have to say all this but my 79-y.o. dad still lives there and he has been "taken advantage of" more times than I can count. Take care
Not to resurrect an old thread, but is Sedro will that bad on property crime?? Don't wear expensive jewelry? By looking at some of the expensive homes in Sedro, it appears there is no shortage of wealth in the town, you describe it as it is like some place in Mexico. I have hard Sedro can be a bit scary to some outsiders and that they still have toothless people playing banjos on the river and they run all the minorities out of town, but I seriously believe these rumors are overblown by more of the close-minded liberals who isolate themselves in their neighborhoods or towns and think any place different than theirs is automatically evil.

I am not saying what you said isn't true about the crime, but I seriously doubt it is even a fraction as bad as you state. From my experience, the so-called liberal progressive towns have no shortage of drug addicts, people hanging around with nothing to do, crime and theft as do some of these more backwoodsy places like Sedro. With all the junkies roaming the streets of Bellingham, for example, I can imagine property crime there is quite bad. Something tells me drugs are way worse in Bellingham than in Sedro.

Anyway, I'd like to look further into the situation. I agree any place surrounded by a lot of trailer parks and low income neighborhoods will suffer from theft and property crime, especially if mansions and wealth is righ next door. This was also a problem with Bend, OR. YOu have millionaire Californian immigrant neighborhoods right next to Deliverance-style Deschutes River Woods trailer park communities. It was no surprised the adjoining neighborhoods were frequently victims of theft. Although, violent crime was never an issue.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:22 PM

196 posts, read 318,800 times
Since Sedro is near Mt. Vernon, are they alike in their outlook or different? And is the Big Lake area the same?

Old 01-04-2014, 10:08 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Mt. Vernon is much more of a quaint little old town, of the two I would take Mt. Vernon any day. Northern State Hospital operated in Sedro-Woolley from the early 1900s to about 1970, and had a horrific history with electro-shock and brain surgeries in attempts to cure the insane. I think that may be currently the site of some job corps people. I wouldn't want to work or live anywhere near the place.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:21 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,828,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Mt. Vernon is much more of a quaint little old town, of the two I would take Mt. Vernon any day. Northern State Hospital operated in Sedro-Woolley from the early 1900s to about 1970, and had a horrific history with electro-shock and brain surgeries in attempts to cure the insane. I think that may be currently the site of some job corps people. I wouldn't want to work or live anywhere near the place.
So they had a mental hospital in the 1900s and because of that you don't want to live there??? Really.

Do you realize how many towns back in those days had insane asylums.. Does that fact that perhaps Native Americans were massacred on the land where the home you may be living in stands, mean you should sell your house and leave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington