Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 12:54 PM

250 posts, read 336,070 times

Advertisements

In the real estate industry, one sees all sides of the city... its people, money, living and crime. If I had a choice, there is no way I would live in Tacoma. It is a sh$%hole and a ball of filth. I have watched it for 35 years now and while the downtown areas are nicer, that does not improve the number of unwanted people who drive residential areas for quick and profitable opportunities. Only Seattle's southside areas have as bad a problem as Tacoma. Seattle's northside is much better, but much pricier. I would not choose to live in either city proper. Commuting from TAC to SEA has become much better though with the recent addition of commuter trains. They are about the only thing that WA state has done right in transportation for decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 01:02 PM

307 posts, read 1,421,554 times
In a City as large as Tacoma I would assume that there are areas where crime is high. It seems inevitable in a big city. I don't think, however, that this would lead most people to rule out living in the nice areas of Tacoma. ????? That's like judging all of Los Angeles on downtown's 6th street (lots of drug deals and homeless).

Old 10-06-2007, 09:53 AM

11 posts, read 36,503 times
Default Olympia and Tacoma are great places.

concorde, what are you talking about? Olympia and Tacoma are poor places to rent and buy a home?

When was the last time you visited these areas? Olympia is a stunning, gorgeous place--with an extremely vibrant, bustling art, music, outdoor scene. Tacoma is becoming a great city--with a beautiful waterfront and natural areas that are some of the most beautiful in the nation.

The South Sound is a great place and only becoming better. There's a reason why the south sounder's make the trip to Portland rather than going north to Seattle.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:24 AM

307 posts, read 1,421,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos_definately View Post
concorde, what are you talking about? Olympia and Tacoma are poor places to rent and buy a home?

When was the last time you visited these areas? Olympia is a stunning, gorgeous place--with an extremely vibrant, bustling art, music, outdoor scene. Tacoma is becoming a great city--with a beautiful waterfront and natural areas that are some of the most beautiful in the nation.

The South Sound is a great place and only becoming better. There's a reason why the south sounder's make the trip to Portland rather than going north to Seattle.
I think concorde might ahve been saying that the housing is expensive in those places, in her opinion. I'll let concorde clear that up, but that's how I took it.

I personally think that Olympia is a very good place to buy a home, especially for people with kids. It seems that the neighborhoods are very family friendly. Tacoma has areas that are a really good investment right now. Whole blocks that are being revitalized as we speak. You can always find a great deal in an up and coming neighborhood......you just have to make sure it continues to move upwards instead of sliding back down. There are areas of Tacoma that are already really nice, but they are pricier. I personally prefer some of the communities that surround Tacoma that are lower crime, a little bit less expensive, and are a little less urban....places like Steilacoom and Ruston. And of course, my favorite, Gig Harbor. First choice if DH and I finally make the move.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:18 PM

417 posts, read 1,282,403 times
Default Shootings, all over

Yes, crime is all over the United States:

A woman was shot in a trendy Manhattan neighborhood. (July 2007)
curlio.com: NYC rapper Remy Ma arraigned for Saturday Shooting

Young woman, eight months pregnant, shot and killed in Chicago. (September 2007) Chicago News for September 2007 - [domain blocked due to spam]

Four men and an 18 month old were shot in four separate shootings in Philadelphia. (September 2007) Philadelphia News for September 2007 - [domain blocked due to spam]

There was a shooting (Sept. 16, 2007) inside the Target Center—thankfully, no one was injured and the gunman fled the scene. (Minneapolis-St. Paul,Sept 2007) www.blog.lib.umn.edu/hanx0161/3121news/2007/09/ (broken link)

Winter Park police arrest man in shooting death. (Orlando Sentinel, Sept 2007) www.blogs.orlandosentinel.com/news_local_orlandocrime/2007/10/man-arrested-in.html (broken link)

Old 10-20-2007, 04:13 PM

67 posts, read 256,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2sa View Post
I'm surprised by the many comments from people on here about how bad Tacoma is. I've only lived here for a little more than 2 years but I really don't think it's bad. Are there areas of Tacoma that are bad? Sure. There's areas of every city that are bad. I feel very comfortable leaving my house after dark. I go to downtown Tacoma at night *gasp* to eat dinner at the many great restaurants down there as well. I don't feel scared! I love the shops and restaurants on 6th Ave too. I see many families walking in the afternoons and evenings pushing babies in strollers all throughout Tacoma.

I feel safe here. There are some school districts that I would rather live in but again, I think that is common for all cities. I'm just getting annoyed by the Tacoma bashing going on most likely from people that do not live here or haven't lived here in 10+ years.
ty so much for saying such good things about my city!!...I can't believe the things people on here say about it..they must have come from heaven..cause that's the only other place i could see better then Tacoma..lol

Old 10-20-2007, 04:44 PM

850 posts, read 3,717,536 times
The majority of Tacoma is a bad area. I've grew up in Gig Harbor, which is across from the Narrows Bridge, and the only nice area in Tacoma is the north end.

South Tacoma is atrocious! Stay away from that area!!

Old 02-02-2008, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 6,398 times
Default Living around Tacoma:Are you frightened people out of touch with reality

I work in Tacoma and live just out side of the city. I have lived all over the United States (east, west, north, south, middle), Europe, and a lot of other countries. There are shootings and rapes everywhere. The frequency is less in rural areas but, horrible crimes are commited everywhere. I worked in a trauma hospital. Most trauma is associated with alcohol or drug use and occurs between 10:00 PM and 02:00 AM. There are unfortunate individuals who are injured to no fault of their own--some or in the wrong place at the wrong time. So, yes avoid many places in Tacoma late at night and avoid people and places associated with drug use. Anyone can live in Tacoma safely. I do not avoid Stadium area, down town Tacoma or most areas of Tacoma in the evening for dinner, theater, events or a movie. I do not wander around by my self in the dark either and park where there is light. Just use common sence and keep you eyes open like everyone everywhere should.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:29 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
For what it's worth, you can go to the FBI crime stats... divide the total population by the number of whatever crime you are worried about to get a ratio of the number of that particular crime per 1000 population, and then compare it to other cities...

Federal Bureau of Investigation - Uniform Crime Reports

Tacoma seems bad just by looking at the stats alone when compared to Seattle and especially bad when compared to cities on the Eastside. Yet, it's nowhere near as bad as many other cities - Detroit, anybody? LA?

It seems like the most prevalent crime out here, regardless of where you are, is property crime. So just be smart. There are websites you can go to which have precautionary lists of things to do, and things not to do, and ways to be more aware.

King County Sheriff's Office - Crime Prevention (http://www.metrokc.gov/sheriff/prevention/ - broken link)

We haven't even lived here an entire year yet, and we have already had some scary things happen to us. To us, this place feels unsafe compared to where we've come from, but like others have said - bad things happen everywhere. I'm trying really hard to overlook the horrible things, and just pay more attention so that more bad things don't happen to us while we're here.

Listen to your instincts. Educate yourself.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:21 PM

5 posts, read 19,280 times
i really hate it wen people say good things about there ctiy cuz they live in it plz im tellin u i lived everyewhere in tacoma only go to the northend bcuz the rest of tacoma is just bad for rasing children anything we moved to a house in the hill top had our car stolen 6 times and vandalism 23 i dont want anyone comin from a good neighbor hood to leave it for a worse life and go through eveyrthing me and my family had ot go through
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington