Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 09:18 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,668,019 times

Advertisements

I just re-read all these posts, and I have reached a somewhat different conclusion than I had earlier. Perhaps the OP is destined for a place like Forks. Perhaps she will be very happy there. Who are we to judge? Let her (or him), make the decision and deal with the consequences. Atleast, there was some warning however it ends up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 07:20 AM

6 posts, read 16,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Really? There's been multiple mentions of Port Angeles just on this thread alone. If your want is strictly to be on the peninsula, there's also Sequim ("Skwim"), Port Townsend, Hansville, Kingston, Poulsbo, Bremerton, Port Orchards, Keyport. Bainbridge Island if you can afford it.

Out of all of them, I like Port Angeles, Port Townsend and Poulsbo the best. The rest isn't bad at all, and a whole lot more vibrant than Fork, even if that town is sleepy.
Thanks for the suggestions... I do watch those areas also. Western Port Angeles attracts me.. Sequim... hmmmm... isnt Sequim really just a suburb of Los Angeles ? jk.. (I have heard that the population of Sequim is mostly retired SoCalers...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforest338 View Post
What kind of fishing are you into? If it involves saltwater I would look at Sekiu. The freshwater fishing in the Forks area can be called good, but tends to be declining a little every year. Part of that is due to it being better than most of the state....so the rest of the state closes early. As a result the fisherman droves head to Forks for the last few months and pound it. Just a few years ago I could have the Hoh river all to myself for the day...now I see maybe twenty boats and each bank spot has a few cars. It's not combat fishing yet, but is heading that way.
If the peninsula is not a requirement, I'd look at Kingston, Poulsbo, Whidbey Is (Freeland), Skagit County, etc. If you like a bit more sun and seasons with the fishing (freshwater) might look at Leavenworth or even Winthrop.
I like all fishing... but I LOVE salt water fishing...
A million years ago (in 1979 and 1980) I worked across the strait in Ucluelet and in Sooke on a commercial salmon troller .. this is where I learned to love the PNW!

Again..thank you to all who responded.. I have more Q's, but I dont want to hijack this thread.. so I guess I'll start a new one...

R

Old 01-24-2013, 04:29 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,478,798 times
I always get a kick about people who are fascinated with Forks. Do they think the woods are occupied with werewolves and vampires? I've never seen a Twilight movie. What do they make of Forks' reputation as the Rain Capital of the 48 states?

Old 01-25-2013, 10:45 AM

611 posts, read 1,205,196 times
RBart, I would second what another poster mentioned about Hoodsport. I haven't spent much time in Union, but you might find it similar to Hoodsport as well. Hoodsport is a small town right on Hood Canal. It is just below some great hiking in the Olympics and Lake Cushman is very close as well. I think it is a beautiful area. Liliwap is close by as well which might be another possibility for you. One thing you have to watch out for in the PNW is how some of these little towns become meth havens. It seems worse than other parts of the country. Hoodsport still seems to be pretty nice even with its proximity to Shelton which has had its problems. You might give Harstine Island a look in the Shelton area. That is a pretty little area and it should have plenty of fishing opportunities.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:55 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
RBart, you should also look into Anacortes and Bellingham as well. While not on the peninsula, these towns are right on the water. They both have charming downtown cores and are small towns.

Bellingham though, is the bigger town and has much more people coming in (from Canada, cheaper and tax-free shopping for them)-- so you'll have all your stores. If you're curious about what it looks like, go to the WA pic thread (which is at the top of the forums) and look up the poster Lamplight who tends to take lots of pictures around. My favorite part of Bellingham is Fairhaven which is just superbly beautiful and charming.

Anacortes is a waterfront town, very small and would require you trek over to the mainland (there is a bridge connecting) to the big box stores. But the charm is there and its very... airy and open.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:53 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
RBart, you should also look into Anacortes and Bellingham as well. While not on the peninsula, these towns are right on the water. They both have charming downtown cores and are small towns.

Bellingham though, is the bigger town and has much more people coming in (from Canada, cheaper and tax-free shopping for them)-- so you'll have all your stores....My favorite part of Bellingham is Fairhaven which is just superbly beautiful and charming.

Anacortes is a waterfront town, very small and would require you trek over to the mainland (there is a bridge connecting) to the big box stores. But the charm is there and its very... airy and open.
I second those suggestions, as well as Port Townsend (where I live) and Poulsbo, which have charming downtowns and are on the water. You might check Bainbridge Island, too. Parts of it are woodsy and uncrowded, but Winslow, by the ferry dock for the Seattle ferry, has a lot of trendy little shops and major shopping can be done in Seattle or Silverdale, a little south of Poulsbo.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:34 PM

5 posts, read 13,816 times
I lived in Forks for 10 months. I was not happy. I learned that if I can do 10 months in Forks then I could do hard time, no sweat. Thats was years ago and I am sure things have changed.
I believe that Forks has the highest annual rainfall in the contiguous US; and also the highest rate of alocholism- coincidence? I had lived in Bellingham prior to that and found it odd that the 2 Indian Tribes did not care for each other at all- and that the local ( mostly) loggers hated everyone else. It is amazingly beautiful and sits almost at the beach of the Pacific- there is the rainforest and it is worth a trip at least or a short vacation. If would maybe go to Forks to escape a stalker.... but only maybe...

Old 06-18-2013, 10:41 AM

6,229 posts, read 3,411,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleespinozabee View Post
I'm just wondering about jobs in the forks area. Making a big move from Tx. Im optimistic that life there will be better than this hot sunny state.
If you are a Latino and want to pick Salal you will fit right in but if you aren't look at other options.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady fern View Post
RBart, I would second what another poster mentioned about Hoodsport. I haven't spent much time in Union, but you might find it similar to Hoodsport as well. Hoodsport is a small town right on Hood Canal. It is just below some great hiking in the Olympics and Lake Cushman is very close as well. I think it is a beautiful area. Liliwap is close by as well which might be another possibility for you. One thing you have to watch out for in the PNW is how some of these little towns become meth havens. It seems worse than other parts of the country. Hoodsport still seems to be pretty nice even with its proximity to Shelton which has had its problems. You might give Harstine Island a look in the Shelton area. That is a pretty little area and it should have plenty of fishing opportunities.
I take it you never been to the west side of Hood Canal in the winter. Its rains almost as much as it does in Forks (almost) it has to be one of the most depressing places from Oct-May. Any place where summer people come and buy property in the summer and want to slit their throats when they visit in the winter months. Not surprisingly so many home are back on the market come spring.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBart View Post
Thanks for the suggestions... I do watch those areas also. Western Port Angeles attracts me.. Sequim... hmmmm... isnt Sequim really just a suburb of Los Angeles ? jk.. (I have heard that the population of Sequim is mostly retired SoCalers...)
Not entirely true, some Californian do retire here, but a lot of people who have lived here most of their lives, Boeing people and ex-military are here as well. You would be surprised by how many people from Oregon and the East live here in retirement.
Sequim doesn't even have a single four lane road and the so-called 'Freeway' (bypass) is only two lane. The whole town area has only eight traffic lights (five on the main drag).
The Sequim area has probably more parks square footage per resident than any city in the whole state.

The mountains are only a few minutes drive as are the beaches on the Straight, and I do mean minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington