Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 04:52 PM

23 posts, read 41,687 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Washington this summer. Need opinions on best place to live with Elem and Middle School aged children. Both of my kids have been taking classes a grade ahead so we are looking for a good academic public school. Husband will be at JBLM for work and we are considering Gig Harbor, University Place, Tacoma, or Lacey. Should I be looking at any other areas with good schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 06:12 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Gig Harbor to JBLM is not a good commute... you have a $6 toll Eastbound each day.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:52 PM

Thanks Diana,

I have heard about the toll. Factoring that into our decision with Gig Harbor. We know a lot of military pilots that live that way and do the drive. They say the quality of life is worth it out that way. My only downfall with living out there is having to drive into Tacoma all week for ballet or music lessons. Would prefer to live somewhere that doesn't require me to be running back and forth but if it's worth it I would do it.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:52 PM

329 posts, read 470,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughterqueen View Post
Thanks Diana,

I have heard about the toll. Factoring that into our decision with Gig Harbor. We know a lot of military pilots that live that way and do the drive. They say the quality of life is worth it out that way. My only downfall with living out there is having to drive into Tacoma all week for ballet or music lessons. Would prefer to live somewhere that doesn't require me to be running back and forth but if it's worth it I would do it.
I fell in love with Gig Harbor on my trip there in Jan.. I bet you could find ballet and music lessons there or even Silverdale.. That would be my first choice out of your list..
We are going soon to check it out, well show my husband.. it will either be there or in Olympia which I loved too.. ( you should check that out as well).

Old 03-23-2017, 08:08 PM

Thanks Therese,

Can you tell me what it is that made you fall in <3 with it? Having not seen the area, I'm going off what everyone else has said.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:42 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
It is true that there has been a lot of business development around Gig Harbor, and folk don't need to go across the bridge for everything any more.

We love Gig Harbor too, have a family beach house there. It has a touristy feel down by the water, lots of shops and restaurants. A frequent destination for boaters, so very pedestrian friendly. The big box stores are all up on what used to be the outskirts of town, up by the freeway. This protects the small town feel of the old part of town.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughterqueen View Post
Thanks Therese,

Can you tell me what it is that made you fall in <3 with it? Having not seen the area, I'm going off what everyone else has said.
I drove over the bridge to GH and screamed with excitement because it was amazing.. That day was foggy but it added to the atmosphere.. We drove down to the harbor and had lunch at Tides Tavern.. They were so friendly that our waitress had the manager come over to the table to welcome us and hoped we would move there too..
We walked around, it was beautiful.. Then we took a drive to the "shopping" and loved how you had beauty and shopping so close LOL..
We are going back next month to show my husband ♥
I saw this video and knew I wanted to go see it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMI-nMLMg5M&t=43s

Old 08-19-2017, 12:17 AM

29 posts, read 32,588 times
I couldn't agree more! Gig Harbor is just too perfect to be true. I have researched so many locations for a long time and nothing matches it's beauty. We sold our house up in Blaine because it was a ghost town compared to Gig Harbor. Tides Tavern is our go to place as well. Can't beat that beautiful view while dining. The food is very good too. Love the roasted vegetable salad and fish and chips. We are having a house built nearby in south Port Orchard not far from the Purdy bridge so we are about 15 minutes to the waterfront area. Using it for a getaway home but will retire there in about 5-7 years. Wish I could move there tomorrow. It has a little bit of everything I love from Waterfront shops, box stores, plenty of restaurants and water activities. I like that Gig Harbor and Port Orchard have lots of summer activities as well with weekly summer concerts and farmer's market. Sure is a gem. Hope you found the home of your dreams therese marie.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:13 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,297,963 times
Tacoma/University Place use to be really mellow but now it's all the same. I grew up in University Place and apparently it's got so big it's no longer Tacoma but now University Place.

Live across the bridge in Gig Harbor. You will be surprised how nice it is. It's got everything but the gangs and stuff like that. The commute isn't bad. You get a Good to GO card and then it's $5 to go over. Gig Harbor is kind of like a yuppie town with benefits. Very clean and friendly people. Also, all your healthcare needs are met with a hospital/ER and CHI Franciscan clinics. Schools are all common core so there's no worry about wanting more education and earning college credits prior to graduating; a nice little bus system as well.

Lacey, I don't know about but I would move to Gig Harbor (my sister lives there). We all moved out of Universtiy Place to get away from the drugs and gangs and went across the bridge to move to the country. Not saying there aren't drugs in Gig Harbor but not as much as across the bridge.

I would be very surprised if you couldn't find ballet lessons in Gig Harbor or somewhere on the Kitsap County side or anything else for that matter.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzg View Post
I couldn't agree more! Gig Harbor is just too perfect to be true. I have researched so many locations for a long time and nothing matches it's beauty. We sold our house up in Blaine because it was a ghost town compared to Gig Harbor. Tides Tavern is our go to place as well. Can't beat that beautiful view while dining. The food is very good too. Love the roasted vegetable salad and fish and chips. We are having a house built nearby in south Port Orchard not far from the Purdy bridge so we are about 15 minutes to the waterfront area. Using it for a getaway home but will retire there in about 5-7 years. Wish I could move there tomorrow. It has a little bit of everything I love from Waterfront shops, box stores, plenty of restaurants and water activities. I like that Gig Harbor and Port Orchard have lots of summer activities as well with weekly summer concerts and farmer's market. Sure is a gem. Hope you found the home of your dreams therese marie.
Our plans got pushed up to November for husband retirement.. Our home is up for sale now so as soon as it sells, we will be there .. so excited and can't wait ♥
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington