Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 01:16 AM

3,103 posts, read 2,227,494 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking of a one-week driving trip through coastal WA and the Olympic peninsula in the second week of October. We have already been to the San Juan islands and Seattle already and are looking to explore this region. We have done a similar trip of OR coast earlier. Our interests are focused on enjoying the beautiful nature - coastal as well as interior and hiking.

I know that October is the start of the wet season in WA and the timing is not idea. It, however, works for our schedule in other ways and is inflexible (expect giving up and focusing on another region altogether). My questions are -
  • Is the timing somewhat doable or is it a poor idea altogether.
  • Any suggestions on places that we should focus on, possibly spend the night(s) in
  • Any areas we should explore - coast, rain forest, etc. from nature, hiking, beach/ocean view perspective
  • While our trip is really not focused on scoping out potential retirement locations and we are a bit skeptical about the medical facilities in this (Olympic peninsula) area - it would not altogether uninteresting to get a general impression from that perspective as the thought does cross our minds every so often

Any advice would be highly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 06:43 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Just be prepared for rain, usually that time of year a light misty drizzle. The nasty wind and hard rain is usually not around until November. Coastal places like Long Beach and Ocean Shores are pretty dull by then, with just cold and wind, and the coastal beauty is not the same as in Oregon. I would plan on staying at Lake Quinault, then go north and see:

Hoh Rainforest
LaPush
Hurricane Ridge

If you take a day for the first two, then stay in Port Angeles overnight and the next day at Hurricane Ridge. P.A> has a good hospital (Olympic) but for some procedures people have to go to Silverdale or Bremerton on the Kitsap peninsula. Poulsbo is a great little city to retire, with easy access to medical in both Silverdale/Bremerton and Seattle by ferry.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:06 AM

Thank you very much! This is very helpful. Gives me something to aim for in making plans!

Old 09-23-2019, 09:59 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Make sure to stop by Port Townsend and/or Sequim for a few hours. PT, and Sequim in particular, are in a rain shadow, so it rains less there. Note that I didn't say it is sunnier - it is, but only marginally - but water falls from the clouds less frequently.

Olympic Rain Shadow Map and Location

It's been raining here in the Seattle area for the past week.

Were I you, I'd keep my plans somewhat flexible. It's all beautiful, you can't go wrong.

Neah Bay has a very good tribal museum. And there's a short trail out to the northwestern-most point of the US. https://makah.com
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ashington.html

If luck has it that it is so rainy that the coast is socked in and you can't see anything, come inland a bit to Hood Canal and/or the Kitsap Peninsula. Here's an overview of looping around the entire peninsula - https://www.nationalgeographic.com/t...ton-road-trip/

You don't say where you're driving from, and most people go to Seattle first, and then over to the Olympics, as the NatGeo recommends. But approaching from the south - Astoria to Aberdeen - will take you through Grays Harbor country, my favorite corner of Washington. Lots of coastal wetlands. http://www.discovergraysharbor.com

Last edited by jacqueg; 09-23-2019 at 10:23 AM..

Old 09-23-2019, 10:07 AM

147 posts, read 167,952 times
Not home hunting related, but There are some nice beaches. Ruby beach, and 2nd beach which has a bit of a trail to get to.
Not sure about October, but there is charter fishing out of La Push.
If you need a place to stay around Forks, the Huckleberry lodge has very nice cabins for rent.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:11 AM

Thank you, jacqueg! These downs do indeed come up fairly often on this board and we are interested in looking at them. Also - quite interested in more serious hiking possibilities in the Olympic peninsula/rain shadow region for obvious reasons. [Not that we’d have the time in this short visit - but we are avid hikers and do fairly strenuous hikes quite often.]

Thanks for the links! Will check the Neah Bay museum.

Thanks again!

Old 09-23-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razmatazzy View Post
Not home hunting related, but There are some nice beaches. Ruby beach, and 2nd beach which has a bit of a trail to get to.
Not sure about October, but there is charter fishing out of La Push.
If you need a place to stay around Forks, the Huckleberry lodge has very nice cabins for rent.
Thank you, razmatazzy! I will google Ruby beach and Huckleberry Lodge.

We are not into fishing. Could be tempted by whale watching type of activity but not sure if we have the time for that.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
A week is a really long time on OP. (I would be venturing 30 min to north Oregon coast for spectacular fall sunsets (when clear).

Unlike Oregon, Much of WA coast is inaccessible / private / Native American control, be prepared for that and know the legal access points and have alternative plans / things to do.

Lodges / lakes in ONP are nice for quiet relaxing.

Probably the best medical services on OP are Harrison Hospital in Bremerton. Making Silverdale / Poulsbo an option for retirement. It is a top hospital for general care and most senior related services (Used it for the 15 yrs my elderly dad was living at Retsil.)

Your destinations as 'touring' and enjoying OP will be quite different than 'seeking retirement destination'
Quiet solitude and beauty (remote areas), vs. population and traffic.

Nice thing is that both are available on OP, but not often close to each other.
A good thing to pursue is sea / sailing / boat camping / water based senior interests (if locating to OP), otherwise it may not be worth the trouble. There are many other areas in WA with better combined access to activities and services.

YMMV - don't miss your main objective in hunt for the secondary objective.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Unlike Oregon, Much of WA coast is inaccessible / private / Native American control, be prepared for that and know the legal access points and have alternative plans / things to do.
Many thanks, StealthRabbit! How does one find out the legal access points to the coast? I’d appreciate any information on that.

We are clear on the primary objective. The secondary objective is subject to what the time permits, or what’s already on / near our path.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:27 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,374,563 times
If coming up from Astoria, October is a good month for oysters at any of the Willapa Bay's shellfish farms: https://funbeach.com/experience-willapa-bay-oysters/

There are a pair of cranberry celebrations, both on the weekend of October 12-13, the Cranberrian Fair ($5) at Long Beach and the Cranberry Harvest Festival (free) in Grayland:

https://columbiapacificheritagemuseu...nberrian-fair/

http://www.westportgrayland-chamber....-%20Events.pdf

One-third of the nation's cranberry crop is grown on the SW Washington coast. Could be a good chance to meet the locals.

A local curiosity is Washaway Beach: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...lution-n930646
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington