Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 01:01 AM

1,369 posts, read 717,184 times

Advertisements

Covid spreads most easily when you are in a confined space for a long time with a lot of other people. Gyms and restaurants where people are unmasked for hours (or masked but still breathing hard) are places where having everyone vaxxed would really help save lives.

Gas, groceries, not so much.

It makes sense to me and follows the science. I don’t find it nefarious at all. You aren’t even ‘showing your papers’ to the government. You are just showing proof of vaccination to some random person who isn’t even recording it.

Showing your papers to a government official involves them tracking you, regulating you and manipulating you. In this case, no one really cares what you do, as long as you are not putting yourself in the way of spreading a malicious disease during a pandemic. It’s only sort of enforced and there are no consequences if you don’t comply besides being asked to leave.

In a police state, if you don’t show your papers, you are arrested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2021, 10:26 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,097,859 times
You can sugar coat it all you want but you are still required to show your papers.
I have had to do that a couple of times and they also wanted to see my driver’s license that has my address printed on it.
You might be fine with that but I don’t like it at all.
As far as not being carded from a government official that doesn’t matter it is still tyranny.

One thing that the pro mandate people seem get wrong is that it’s not all hardcore conservatives that are against these mandates.

There are plenty of people from all of the different groups that can think for themselves and know this is the wrong approach.

How many Democrats do you think voted out that bad idea guy in Virginia?
It surely wasn’t all Republicans.
It was people with common sense.
Common sense should never cow down to politics.

Old 11-04-2021, 11:14 AM

I agree that it’s not desirable. But it’s the same as being carded when buying drugs. There’s a valid health reason. It’s Constitutional. If we can’t do what’s constitutional during a health crisis, what’s the point of having a constitution?

People may have strong libertarian tendencies but that’s not how the country is set up. There is a big gap between how people perceive their rights and their actual rights, as per the constitution.

And the election results aren’t surprising. Covid levels just coming down, no obvious end in sight. People clamoring that Covid be over, but also clamoring that the government stop doing anything to fight Covid. It’s a confused nation with mixed priorities. In an off year election. And even in the best of times, the majority party almost always loses in midterms. Happened to the GOP these last few cycles.

Old 11-04-2021, 12:54 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,745,335 times
Several things lead me not to trust the government and the vax:

-Biden mandated the vaccine but excluded Congress from it.
-The vaccine was rushed through and didn't go through longer term testing for side effects.
-Big Pharma was released from any and all liability for any side effects/disability/deaths as a result of vaccine.
-A fund supposedly setup to help those permanently affected by the vaccine (stroke, nervous system damage, etc) was set up by the federal gov't but has denied every single applicant.
-The vaccine DOES NOT prevent one from being able to pass it onto someone else. One can get the vaccine, and still become infected and pass Covid on to their Grandma.
-Most in my family who got Covid before the vaccine was out, had minor symptoms and have had much worse bouts of the flu. Some just experienced being tired for a couple days with loss of taste/smell. My cousins "other side" of the family is Mexican however and had worse symptoms with two of their middle aged husbands being hospitalized and put on ventilators. One before the vaccine, and the other AFTER having the vaccine and their whole family still got Delta anyway.

Old 11-05-2021, 07:39 PM

368 posts, read 307,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
Covid spreads most easily when you are in a confined space for a long time with a lot of other people. Gyms and restaurants where people are unmasked for hours (or masked but still breathing hard) are places where having everyone vaxxed would really help save lives.

Gas, groceries, not so much.

It makes sense to me and follows the science.
I don’t find it nefarious at all. You aren’t even ‘showing your papers’ to the government. You are just showing proof of vaccination to some random person who isn’t even recording it.

Showing your papers to a government official involves them tracking you, regulating you and manipulating you. In this case, no one really cares what you do, as long as you are not putting yourself in the way of spreading a malicious disease during a pandemic. It’s only sort of enforced and there are no consequences if you don’t comply besides being asked to leave.

In a police state, if you don’t show your papers, you are arrested.
Huh? What “the science” is that and how is it different from this “the science”?

https://khn.org/news/making-gyms-saf...than-in-a-bar/

Quote:
The resultant report said that the overall “visits to virus” ratio of 0.002% is “statistically irrelevant” because only 1,155 cases of coronavirus were reported among more than 49 million gym visits. Similarly, data collected from gyms in the United Kingdom found only 17 cases out of more than 8 million visits in the weeks after gyms reopened there.
The gym crowd is normally 18-55, age groups at MUCH lower risk to SARS-CoV-2 than the true high risk group (age 65+), unless you count in fatties, but they normally aren’t at the gym. So, closing gyms solved nothing. It resulted in millions actually becoming less healthy. Requiring vaccinations for gym-goers is absolute absurdity, again, because of the extreme low risk of susceptibility to SARS-CoV-2, much less the actual chances of catching COVID-19 from being in a gym setting with lots of young, healthy people.

How many times have you gone to the gym and seen someone dreadfully sick running 8mph on the treadmill or squatting 225+?

Old 11-06-2021, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerp View Post
Huh? What “the science” is that and how is it different from this “the science”?

https://khn.org/news/making-gyms-saf...than-in-a-bar/

The gym crowd is normally 18-55, age groups at MUCH lower risk to SARS-CoV-2 than the true high risk group (age 65+), unless you count in fatties, but they normally aren’t at the gym. So, closing gyms solved nothing. It resulted in millions actually becoming less healthy. Requiring vaccinations for gym-goers is absolute absurdity, again, because of the extreme low risk of susceptibility to SARS-CoV-2, much less the actual chances of catching COVID-19 from being in a gym setting with lots of young, healthy people.

How many times have you gone to the gym and seen someone dreadfully sick running 8mph on the treadmill or squatting 225+?
I read the article you posted as well as the secondary article with the British information. Thank you. Both are useful, but from 2020. Unfortunately, the delta variant has changed the calculation and the data cited are out date. The primary article also gathers data from self reporting without any accountability… no one is obligated to report and there aren’t consequences if they don’t. If I were a gym owner I’d think twice about revealing that there had been a Covid outbreak at my facility.

I don’t think you’ve proven your point. Seems like gyms should continue to require vaccination. Basic health precaution.

As for the last statement, you should know that the transmission by presymptomatic and asymptomatic people if the problem. If Covid were only transmissible when symptoms appeared there wouldn’t be a pandemic anymore. And those younger, fit people may mostly be ok but the disease then spreads to others who are less fortunate and boom… hospitals full again.

Also, I don’t appreciate your cheap shot at people who are trying to lose weight. I admire seeing them at the gym the most. They’re really trying. No need to be insulting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington