Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2022, 05:57 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,705,824 times

Advertisements

Yes the singular is apparently taboo but you can say the plural as many times as you want lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2022, 09:31 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
Tonight north of Everett there's a high wind warning of 30-40 mph sustained winds and up to 60 mph gusts. This isn't supposed to affect Whatcom County or Seattle to that extent. It's the same small area that gets this every few years (and unfortunately this is my area). Widespread power outages and trees down are expected. If you're traveling through the area on I5, traffic might be a mess though, especially for taller vehicles like trucks and that messes it up for everyone.
Thank you. I'll be checking back in here Monday. Was planning to head up to Anacortes Tues. to take a ferry.

Old 11-04-2022, 09:32 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Before the farmers farmed the land and altered the rivers with dikes, the land was wetlands, estuaries and habitat for salmon, so part of the problem was farming it and building these dikes to keep the rivers out of the fields and old agricultural towns (built along rivers where they are to this day). Before it was farmed, the rivers could change course and flood without causing issues.

In Stanwood, they removed a **** a farmer built around 100 years ago on Leque Island and let the river flood the area as it used to do (for salmon habitat) and rebuilt the **** in a more ecological place.

Edit- a word got starred out lol. Substitute a berm of earth that holds back water.
Very interesting. Thanks again.

Old 11-05-2022, 09:12 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,072,220 times
We had it rough last night with storm winds.
I thought we lost our StarLink dish it was blowing so hard.
I had to catch an early flight this morning.
It took some time to clear a path out to the road and that didn’t look much better
This is what our driveway looked like.
Attached Thumbnails
Washington Weather - Daily Weather pics and reports!-4d069351-bd5e-4284-86d1-d9995ec8b1d4.jpeg  

Old 11-05-2022, 10:31 AM

14,460 posts, read 12,090,641 times
Yikes. More firewood to split, looks like!

I confess to have slept right though this, which is unusual for me and wind events.

We have reports of trees down around town, so I know it blew here also.

Old 11-05-2022, 10:42 AM

14,460 posts, read 12,090,641 times
Quote:
Before the farmers farmed the land and altered the rivers with dikes, the land was wetlands, estuaries and habitat for salmon, so part of the problem was farming it and building these dikes to keep the rivers out of the fields and old agricultural towns (built along rivers where they are to this day). Before it was farmed, the rivers could change course and flood without causing issues.

In Stanwood, they removed a **** a farmer built around 100 years ago on Leque Island and let the river flood the area as it used to do (for salmon habitat) and rebuilt the **** in a more ecological place.

Edit- a word got starred out lol. Substitute a berm of earth that holds back water.
Funny thing about the censorship

Rivers may have dikes in town to try to control flood, but most of our more rural agricultural flood plains are very natural banks, and flooding IS without consequence as long as it's not developed.

One big exception it the Nisqually delta estuary which was diked years ago to make that estuary usable as pasture. The dikes kept the salt water out at high tide. It was donated back to the state, and those with ecology goals breached the dikes some years back now and it's all natural, unusable mud flat at low tide and flooded at high tide, that I'm still not convinced is a net gain for habitat. It is certainly no longer usable for anything BUT waterfowl.

Old 11-05-2022, 11:55 AM

2,859 posts, read 1,804,521 times
Sequim, live in downtown; family who live near Sunny Farms, came for breakfast, power still out. Over Evans Road, power lines across the road ? !

Old 11-05-2022, 02:08 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,705,824 times
There's over 100,000 people still without power in Snohomish County. It was more than double that during the night. The winds were crazy! Tons of damage around the area but we've had enough of these storms to have everything anchored and not much mess other than lots of tree branches.

Old 11-05-2022, 03:29 PM

1,824 posts, read 797,831 times
Crazy wind & rain on my spot on the OP last night. A huge campaign sign blew onto my property, but from where?

Old 11-05-2022, 08:29 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
We got the crazy wind yesterday which calmed today. It rained this morning and then we got some sun breaks in the afternoon. It was a nice reprieve between storms. You gotta get out and seize the day this time of year when they come.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington