Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2008, 11:15 AM

3 posts, read 11,051 times

Advertisements

We're moving up from So. California to the Seattle area in a few weeks. Can anyone compare the lifestyles of Gig Harbor and Edmonds. We want to get away from suburbia yet not be rural. I'd like to live in the city but that's too urban for my husband. We want good restaurants, a sense of community - be able to walk to get a cup of coffe/meal and not have to get in the car to do everything. What is commuting time from these two areas into Seattle? I'd appreciate any info. Thanks.
P.S. I read a few posts from an MD called Pugetsoundman - I think you were thinking of same areas - I'd appreciate your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 11:31 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
It's much easier to commute from Edmonds into Seattle than from Gig Harbor, and the Sounder commuter train goes from Edmonds into downtown Seattle, and is a pretty ride mostly along the waterfront.
They are both nice towns. Edmonds has more shopping, and in both you can walk to coffee, etc...
What I'm curious is: What about these two towns appeal to you? Seems like having water nearby is important? What else would you want in an ideal world?

Old 06-08-2008, 12:23 PM

Default Gig harbor v Edmonds

Thanks for your interest. It is just the two of us and our two older dogs & outside cat- our children are grown up. Well, we're looking for somewhere with character (and characters!), friendly but not nosy, sophisticated, liberal, not too snobby, not suburban, a sense of community, picturesque, non-homogenous population, arty but not "arty-farty" and yes, not land-locked. Somewhere we can rent for a couple of years to make sure we're in the right place....not that we are fussy!!!

Old 06-08-2008, 12:25 PM

P.S. my husband will commute (some days) into Seattle and Tacoma? but he likes driving so and hour's commute is okay.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:17 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,707,654 times
Edmonds is lovely and you can walk to shops and restaurants if you live near downtown. The town is well-kept and somewhat upscale (but I wouldn't say snobby). You'll find many people in your age range there and should be able to find community.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:59 PM

392 posts, read 1,557,071 times
In order to avoid using the car in Gig Harbor, you'd have to buy near downtown or the Uptown Center. We're lacking a good variety of restaurants. Gig Harbor is a great, quiet town, wonderful for walking and relaxing. Not much of a social scene or nightlife. Commute to Tacoma is a breeze, Seattle would be 60-75min. If you're a city fan, Gig Harbor may not be right for you.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,355 times
I can vouch for Gig Harbor -- nice quiet town -- we actually have an updated two bedroom condo for sale or lease walking distance to restaurants, coffee, water, etc.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:09 PM

43 posts, read 161,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmundyrosner View Post
We're moving up from So. California to the Seattle area in a few weeks. Can anyone compare the lifestyles of Gig Harbor and Edmonds. We want to get away from suburbia yet not be rural. I'd like to live in the city but that's too urban for my husband. We want good restaurants, a sense of community - be able to walk to get a cup of coffe/meal and not have to get in the car to do everything. What is commuting time from these two areas into Seattle? I'd appreciate any info. Thanks.
P.S. I read a few posts from an MD called Pugetsoundman - I think you were thinking of same areas - I'd appreciate your input.
Edmonds is your dream city from what you wrote...down in the Edmonds "bowl" area near the ferry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington