Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 03:31 PM

68 posts, read 317,815 times

Advertisements

Thought I'd weigh in.

I've lived in Washington for my entire 24 years (aside from a couple summers spent in Montana), in a couple different places, and I've seen a good portion of the state. While I'm not old enough to know much about property taxes, cost of living, and things of that nature, I do know a bit.

Right now, I'm living in SeaTac, WA, and don't care for it much. It's not terrible or anything, but it's got kind of a grimy feel to it that you'd expect out of a town that sprung up beneath an airport. A lot of low-income housing, that sort of thing.

I grew up in Burien, WA, which is actually just on the other side of the airport. It's a typical suburb - some nice things, some bad things, as you might expect. I think it's gone downhill a bit since I was a kid, but then again, hindsight is always rosier. Still, it wasn't a bad place to raise a family, and I think it's still pretty good if you want a job close to Seattle. Nice parks, lots of schools, things like that.

I spent a year at Seattle University before a bad experience with a professor had me transferring. If you can afford to live in downtown Seattle and like the bustling city scene...well, be my guest. Not my cup of tea.

I went to 3 or so years of college at WWU in Bellingham, WA (I graduated a bit over a year ago). I'm a little surprised to see how little it's mentioned in this thread. It's got a nice downtown scene, the historic Fairhaven district is a blast to walk around, and if you want to get away, Whatcom County has some gorgeous scenery. I'm not much of an outdoorsy person, but there's still so much to do that it doesn't matter.

It's got a bit more of a liberal bent then most places - even for Washington - but even though I consider myself more centerish, I didn't mind. There are a lot of independent stores downtown - restaurants and bakeries and breweries, things of that nature. Since Whatcom County is a big agricultural center, there's a thriving Farmer's Market scene.

It's not all good. Real Estate prices are pretty high (could someone tell me why? I can't figure it out. It's a nice town, but not *that* nice), and the job market is really rough. They're still trying to clean up the waterfront after the old pulp mill got closed down - its pretty ugly as is. And some people say that there's a bit of a demographic problem, with the town mostly consisting of 20-35 year old college students and 60+ seniors in retirement (Though I never noticed this myself while I was there).

Still, I'd move back after I've seen a bit more of the world. And earned some cash to pay the high prices for real estate :P

Anyway, that's my .2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 11:05 PM

473 posts, read 1,702,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickinit View Post
The Political Climate in and around the big cities in Western Washington and Oregon is alot like California. The Smaller Communities or more rural areas are not so much.
Well then I would probably prefer the rural areas with less neighbors around.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf14016 View Post
Thought I'd weigh in.

I've lived in Washington for my entire 24 years (aside from a couple summers spent in Montana), in a couple different places, and I've seen a good portion of the state. While I'm not old enough to know much about property taxes, cost of living, and things of that nature, I do know a bit.

Right now, I'm living in SeaTac, WA, and don't care for it much. It's not terrible or anything, but it's got kind of a grimy feel to it that you'd expect out of a town that sprung up beneath an airport. A lot of low-income housing, that sort of thing.

I grew up in Burien, WA, which is actually just on the other side of the airport. It's a typical suburb - some nice things, some bad things, as you might expect. I think it's gone downhill a bit since I was a kid, but then again, hindsight is always rosier. Still, it wasn't a bad place to raise a family, and I think it's still pretty good if you want a job close to Seattle. Nice parks, lots of schools, things like that.

I spent a year at Seattle University before a bad experience with a professor had me transferring. If you can afford to live in downtown Seattle and like the bustling city scene...well, be my guest. Not my cup of tea.

I went to 3 or so years of college at WWU in Bellingham, WA (I graduated a bit over a year ago). I'm a little surprised to see how little it's mentioned in this thread. It's got a nice downtown scene, the historic Fairhaven district is a blast to walk around, and if you want to get away, Whatcom County has some gorgeous scenery. I'm not much of an outdoorsy person, but there's still so much to do that it doesn't matter.

It's got a bit more of a liberal bent then most places - even for Washington - but even though I consider myself more centerish, I didn't mind. There are a lot of independent stores downtown - restaurants and bakeries and breweries, things of that nature. Since Whatcom County is a big agricultural center, there's a thriving Farmer's Market scene.

It's not all good. Real Estate prices are pretty high (could someone tell me why? I can't figure it out. It's a nice town, but not *that* nice), and the job market is really rough. They're still trying to clean up the waterfront after the old pulp mill got closed down - its pretty ugly as is. And some people say that there's a bit of a demographic problem, with the town mostly consisting of 20-35 year old college students and 60+ seniors in retirement (Though I never noticed this myself while I was there).

Still, I'd move back after I've seen a bit more of the world. And earned some cash to pay the high prices for real estate :P

Anyway, that's my .2 cents.
I would avoid Seattle seems alot like SF and also avoid major urban centers in Washington, Bellingham, Ferndale whatever they are. Again I think up north towards the Canadian border is ideal if it is still rural up there with lots of trees and privacy. Hopefully they haven't built the area up like they have here in CA.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:23 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,192,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray427 View Post
I would avoid Seattle seems alot like SF and also avoid major urban centers in Washington, Bellingham, Ferndale whatever they are. Again I think up north towards the Canadian border is ideal if it is still rural up there with lots of trees and privacy. Hopefully they haven't built the area up like they have here in CA.
I've heard a lot of people refer to Seattle (and Portland, too) as "SF North".

Each to his own.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
I've heard a lot of people refer to Seattle (and Portland, too) as "SF North".

Each to his own.
That's too bad.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:55 AM

229 posts, read 416,533 times
Quote:
Well then I would probably prefer the rural areas with less neighbors around.
Yes.. I am sure you would.
I noticed you mentioned that in an earlier post, that you would like to be far from neighbors. (I am the same way)
I lived 23 years in Washington State, near Portland, Oregon.
I lived in Montana for 4 years, Arizona for 13 years and now Georgia.
I have traveled ALOT on Long road trips around the Western US with my children. (camping for over 40 days at a time)
Our Favorite Place EVER is Bandon, Oregon. (near Coos Bay-Southern Oregon Coast)
Southern Oregon is very unpopulated.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickinit View Post
Yes.. I am sure you would.
I noticed you mentioned that in an earlier post, that you would like to be far from neighbors. (I am the same way)
I lived 23 years in Washington State, near Portland, Oregon.
I lived in Montana for 4 years, Arizona for 13 years and now Georgia.
I have traveled ALOT on Long road trips around the Western US with my children. (camping for over 40 days at a time)
Our Favorite Place EVER is Bandon, Oregon. (near Coos Bay-Southern Oregon Coast)
Southern Oregon is very unpopulated.
Maybe Southern Oregon is another possibility if the property tax situation isn't as grim as Washington. I believe Oregon doesn't have the crazy property taxes as Washington does but does have sales tax with outrageous property taxes.
Isn't southern Oregon mostly desert?

Old 09-01-2010, 12:53 PM

41 posts, read 146,531 times
So. Oregon in the valleys has indeed a desert like climate and it gets hot and dry in the summers.
If you stay along the coast, say from Gold Beach to the Ca. border the weather stays like 20 degrees cooler.
Our objective was to find a property with at least an acre and low taxes which resulted in us buying in the rural area with a 1994 manufactured home on a permanent foundation; less than $700 prop. tax per year for 2 years now. We were also able to get it financed. Close to all amenities in Grants Pass.
On top of this we find the people here REAL and very friendly!

Old 09-01-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewvdt View Post
So. Oregon in the valleys has indeed a desert like climate and it gets hot and dry in the summers.
If you stay along the coast, say from Gold Beach to the Ca. border the weather stays like 20 degrees cooler.
Our objective was to find a property with at least an acre and low taxes which resulted in us buying in the rural area with a 1994 manufactured home on a permanent foundation; less than $700 prop. tax per year for 2 years now. We were also able to get it financed. Close to all amenities in Grants Pass.
On top of this we find the people here REAL and very friendly!
Forget desert heat I can't tolerate anything more than 77 degrees. I'm used to San Francisco weather and the fog is fine. I don't really care for too much sun.
$700 a year? In Oregon?

Old 09-01-2010, 07:14 PM

229 posts, read 416,533 times
Quote:
Maybe Southern Oregon is another possibility if the property tax situation isn't as grim as Washington. I believe Oregon doesn't have the crazy property taxes as Washington does but does have sales tax with outrageous property taxes.
Isn't southern Oregon mostly desert?
South/Western Oregon is definately NOT Desert! Eastern Oregon is.
South/Western Oregon is alot like the rest of the Pacific Northwest, but not quite as rainy. It is still very wet and rainy (along the coast especially), but not quite as green, mossy, or moldy. Bandon Oregon gets about as much rain as Portland does. The north coast nearer to Portland (Astoria, Oregon) gets alot more rain than Portland does.
There is NO sales Tax in Oregon. I am not sure about property taxes.
The Oregon State Parks are Awesome. The Whole Oregon Coast is 100% Public. (California- 5% Public) So in Oregon the beaches are clean, secluded and SOOOO Peaceful. They take great pride in their State Parks & you will certainly notice the difference as you go along the coast from California to Oregon to Washington. Growing up in Washington, we NEVER went to the Washington beaches. We ALWAYS went to the Oregon Beaches.
If you want to be around nature and away from people and you like Rain and water, Southern Oregon Coast is definately a place you will want to check out. Bandon, Oregon was listed in the top ten coolest small towns in America for 2010. It has a population of approx. 3000.
It is also near the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area. Beautiful dunes consisting of 36 lakes. You can rent quads and ride to the ocean.

Our favorite thing is to gather drift wood & build a fire on the beach!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington