Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 11:22 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,603,228 times

Advertisements

I don't like those subjective terms. Only sunshine hours do it for me. BTW, Quillayute gets only 33% of possible sun, and Juneau only 30% (data through 2008 or 2009 or thereabouts), so they're both a long way below the 1600 mark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 05:40 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,659,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I'm surprised Yuma has 52 cloudy days a year. Then again, that still leaves over "300 days with sunshine".

I hear much of the UK is stark as far as landscape, so based on that, I'm sure I would prefer an overcast day here compared to there. I love the look of evergreens/forests against a cloudy sky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Actually I love overcast days in England. To me they have a whole different look to an overcast day here. It's something about the landscape and architecture I think. I'm not trying to disparage the climate in the UK. I just thought those numbers looked crazy. I could never live in Yuma with all that harsh sunlight. But I realize that many people, maybe most, prefer sun over cloud. I think a warm cloudy day, which London can get in summer, is really nice.
To me overcast is just the default weather setting, though I do come from somewhere even cloudier than London. To take an example of how a day which isn't technically overcast still really is in real life, look at the sun data for my local station in August 2007 - four days technically overcast with no sun, 11 days didn't make it to three hours (which would just about match the 80% cloudy definition the US uses for overcast), 15 didn't make it to six hours and 23 didn't make it to nine and no day was sunny all day long - and yet in the summary it mentions long sunny periods, and this is (albeit a poor) summer!
http://www.weather-uk.com/hampstead/0708M.html

Old 02-17-2011, 06:31 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,229,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
To me overcast is just the default weather setting, though I do come from somewhere even cloudier than London. To take an example of how a day which isn't technically overcast still really is in real life, look at the sun data for my local station in August 2007 - four days technically overcast with no sun, 11 days didn't make it to three hours (which would just about match the 80% cloudy definition the US uses for overcast), 15 didn't make it to six hours and 23 didn't make it to nine and no day was sunny all day long - and yet in the summary it mentions long sunny periods, and this is (albeit a poor) summer!
Nice weather summary. Cloudy and comfortable temperatures. Still managed eight days with nine hours of sun which isn't bad, IMO.

Most days without sun around here I can recall in recent memory is maybe 3-5 days and it was actually in August, one of the more sunnier months here in the northeast.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:13 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
Quote:
I see what you mean about the cloudy def in the US as compared to England. I notice that your average temp for August that year, which was around 1.4F below normal, would equal around May 7th/Oct 7th daily averages here.

I think previous poster means stark as in not large forested areas. I like the green rolling hills with a tree here or there as I've seen in the UK.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:21 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Quote:
I'm surprised Yuma has 52 cloudy days a year. Then again, that still leaves over "300 days with sunshine".

I hear much of the UK is stark as far as landscape, so based on that, I'm sure I would prefer an overcast day here compared to there. I love the look of evergreens/forests against a cloudy sky.
From looking at the stats of cloudy days for stations all over Oz, I believe 40-50 was the lowest I could find, in the Pilbara of Western Australia. This still equates to perhaps 1.2-1.4 cloudy, when you really think about it is paltry. This still leaves at least 29 days per month with significant sunshine. I'm guessing Yuma gets at least 240-250 clear days a year, when you actually live through such sunniness that seems awful sunny. Even Perth's summer average is about 17 clear, 8 partly cloudy and 5 cloudy days, and it FEELS like it's sunny 8 days out of 10!

Old 02-17-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
From looking at the stats of cloudy days for stations all over Oz, I believe 40-50 was the lowest I could find, in the Pilbara of Western Australia. This still equates to perhaps 1.2-1.4 cloudy, when you really think about it is paltry. This still leaves at least 29 days per month with significant sunshine. I'm guessing Yuma gets at least 240-250 clear days a year, when you actually live through such sunniness that seems awful sunny. Even Perth's summer average is about 17 clear, 8 partly cloudy and 5 cloudy days, and it FEELS like it's sunny 8 days out of 10!
That's true. Seeing "52", "cloudy", and "Yuma" in the same sentence caught me off guard. I'm use to hearing how sunny places like this are.

Clear and partly cloudy may as well be the same, IMO. Still usually very sunny on both types of days. My area averages about 2500 sunshine hours per year, but sunshine data isn't widely available here for some reason.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:10 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,659,576 times
Quote:

Depends on your definition of stark, I suppose. Generally the landscape is quite green and gentle and fertile, but gets more rugged the further north and west you go, though particularly up north a lot of overcast winter days look stark and bleak. You only have to go up as far as about 1000-1200ft to get stark, moorland landscapes with peat bogs and heather that look a lot higher up than 1000ft anywhere else I've been. Here are some overcast pictures of the Yorkshire countryside, some starker than others:
Attached Thumbnails
Compare Seattle weather vs Columbus, OH weather-picture-072.jpg   Compare Seattle weather vs Columbus, OH weather-picture-063.jpg   Compare Seattle weather vs Columbus, OH weather-picture-142.jpg   Compare Seattle weather vs Columbus, OH weather-picture-146.jpg   Compare Seattle weather vs Columbus, OH weather-013.jpg  

Compare Seattle weather vs Columbus, OH weather-015.jpg   Compare Seattle weather vs Columbus, OH weather-025.jpg   Compare Seattle weather vs Columbus, OH weather-027.jpg   Compare Seattle weather vs Columbus, OH weather-028.jpg   Compare Seattle weather vs Columbus, OH weather-049.jpg  

Compare Seattle weather vs Columbus, OH weather-050.jpg   Compare Seattle weather vs Columbus, OH weather-053.jpg   Compare Seattle weather vs Columbus, OH weather-picture-004.jpg   Compare Seattle weather vs Columbus, OH weather-picture-006.jpg   Compare Seattle weather vs Columbus, OH weather-picture-007.jpg  

Compare Seattle weather vs Columbus, OH weather-picture-008.jpg  

Old 02-17-2011, 10:21 AM

578 posts, read 1,189,184 times
August 2007 was a pretty dreadful summer month, but August 2008 was the dullest August on record (even Feb of that year recorded more sunshine; 110 hrs vs 135 hrs).

London's annual sun average is 38%.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Depends on your definition of stark, I suppose. Generally the landscape is quite green and gentle and fertile, but gets more rugged the further north and west you go, though particularly up north a lot of overcast winter days look stark and bleak. You only have to go up as far as about 1000-1200ft to get stark, moorland landscapes with peat bogs and heather that look a lot higher up than 1000ft anywhere else I've been. Here are some overcast pictures of the Yorkshire countryside, some starker than others:
Nice pictures. Some were stark, but still a decent number of trees in some of the pictures. I'll definitely take cloudy with stark landscape over sunny with stark landscape.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:32 AM

497 posts, read 1,088,515 times
Quote:
Nice. Looks like "Last of the Summer Wine" country. How brown does it get during summer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather