Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 04:19 PM

824 posts, read 689,359 times

Advertisements

C-, the winters are good but fall and spring have a ton of temperature swings, and the summers are terribly hot and humid. Luckily, the swings tend to not be too severe during the warmer parts of spring and fall, and the rainfall is at a good amount.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:05 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,297,725 times
I haven't lived here for long enough to tell and don't have enough first hand experience (looking at a chart is not enough), but so far I would probably rate it a B.

If I had to do it on my home city, which is Lyon, I would probably rate it a B as well ! B+ or B- depending on years (and sometimes C)

Both have quite similar climates, but Lyon has the advantage of being overall dryer and more varied with more swings in temperatures, while Bologna is more reliable and with more stable summers with slightly higher temperatures in that season. Lyon has more wind and changeable conditions while Bologna can have the exact same weather for two weeks straight, which is almost impossible in any place in mainland France.

For some reason I also feel it always feels a bit colder here for the same temperature, especially in the colder half of the year, because of the higher humidity which I have yet to get accustomed to. 2015 has been remarkably dry so far though.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:56 PM

158 posts, read 132,308 times
Dallas would be a B climate , lacks only in proper winter!

Old 01-12-2019, 09:54 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,190,356 times
Default Rate the climate that you live in

I'll start: Bowling Green, KY: 87.0% / B+

It must be noted that although I do not live in Bowling Green, its climate is very similar to my own; it's fairly close to where I live and is the most similar climate to mine that has an official NWS station.
Bowling Green, KY is an overall good, but not great, climate. It's biggest positives are an ideal amount of precipitation, very good summers with lots of thunderstorms and and hot, but not unbearable, temperatures, and it's prone to both extreme heat and cold on occasion. It's biggest weaknesses are too-mild average winter temperatures and a dearth of snowfall.

Winter mean / Summer mean / Seasonal range / Precip / Seasonal lag / Snowfall / Record range*

76 / 89 / 81 / 98 / 100 / 67 / 92

For comparison, Nashville, TN: 85.4% / B

Nashville is physically closer, but due to the basin it is in and the urban heat island effect, is slightly warmer than my location. By most measures, it's slightly worse than my location, but does have slightly better summers.

71 / 92 / 80 / 97 / 100 / 63 / 88

Old 01-12-2019, 10:23 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,521,383 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/weath...ntly-live.html

That said, I give Edmonton an E. The only thing saving it from being an F is that the summers are nice. They're not perfect though--not warm enough and far too short.

The real problem of course is the winters. It's not just that they're cold--other places are far colder on average--it's the variability. We are prone to low-grade thaws which do nothing but create ice build up and interfere with efforts to actually enjoy the winter. We do not get the genuine Chinooks that southern Alberta gets and which create a real break in the winter; the thaws are just a nuisance. I'd much prefer consistent winter weather.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:28 PM

895 posts, read 604,894 times
A poll on this would be interesting.

Seattle, WA: C+

I'd say Seattle is more good than bad in terms of climate but mediocre nonetheless. The main problem is that summers are too cool and dry with virtually no humidity or thunderstorm activity. Wildfires have occurred in recent years due to lack of summer rain. Spring and fall are too cool as well. Winters are too cloudy and slightly too cool. The weather overall also needs to be less boring with more changeable temperatures and heavy downpours while also having less monotonous drizzle in winter.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:02 PM

388 posts, read 213,106 times
A–

Variable, dry and stormy summers with some adequate heat—and even the occasional summer snowfall; cold, damp, squally and snowy winters, with constant >gale-force winds (>Force 9 Beaufort Scale). Splendid latitude, too.

All it needs for A+ is much hotter Summer highs; ~31° C instead of ~23° C, that is to say

Nearest BOM station to me would be Kiandra, NSW (1,395 m AMSL; 36° S); since my property only straddles 1,280 m AMSL, adding ~2° C to Kiandra's annual temperatures and decreasing ~300-400 mm of annual precipitation should be accurate enough. My record lows would also be quite a lot warmer, as Anglers Reach/Lake Eucumbene does not lie within a frost-hollow like Kiandra does:

Old 01-12-2019, 11:07 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,901,247 times
Erie, PA: A-

Overall, the climate here is very good with 4 definite seasons. Spring/Fall are both of a decent length, there is plenty of rain that is evenly distributed and the weather is changeable. There is plenty of humidity so no worries about dry skin/nosebleeds I also like the cloudiness of fall/winter/early spring. Winters are interesting with frequent lake effect snowfalls and summers with thunderstorms. The temperatures are generally comfortable much of the year if you dress for them; the only negative is that July can get outright hot at times (over 80 F) and it can be prone to heatwaves.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:12 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,521,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaminaby Angler View Post
A–

Variable, dry and stormy summers with some adequate heat—and even the occasional summer snowfall; cold, damp, squally and snowy winters, with constant >gale-force winds (>Force 9 Beaufort Scale). Splendid latitude, too.

All it needs for A+ is much hotter Summer highs; ~31° C instead of ~23° C, that is to say

Nearest BOM station to me would be Kiandra, NSW (1,395 m AMSL; 36° S); since my property only straddles 1,280 m AMSL, adding ~2° C to Kiandra's annual temperatures and decreasing ~300-400 mm of annual precipitation should be accurate enough. My record lows would also be quite a lot warmer, as Anglers Reach/Lake Eucumbene does not lie within a frost-hollow like Kiandra does:
How often do you get snow in summer?

Old 01-12-2019, 11:21 PM

388 posts, read 213,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
How often do you get snow in summer?
Not very often (perhaps every decade or so), but I've received a snowfall on the 22nd-23rd of November, 2018 not too long ago, and another back on the 5th of December, 2013—which was indeed Summer. Summer and late-season snowfalls seem to be getting more common nowadays.

Here was the relatively recent November 19th forecast of 2018 for the 22nd-23rd:

Spoiler

^Really shows how variable my springs and summers can be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.