Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2019, 11:48 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,697,702 times

Advertisements

Vancouver, BC
Solid D.
Too cool year round and winters are too wet and gloomy.

Still one of the better climates in Canada IMO.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:51 PM

5,729 posts, read 3,508,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaminaby Angler View Post
Not very often (perhaps every decade or so), but I've received a snowfall on the 22nd-23rd of November, 2018 not too long ago, and another back on the 5th of December, 2013—which was indeed Summer. Summer and late-season snowfalls seem to be getting more common nowadays.

Here was the relatively recent November 19th forecast of 2018 for the 22nd-23rd:

^Really shows how variable my springs and summers can be
If you like changeable weather you would love Alberta. For example, last April in Edmonton we had a temperature range of 53.3°C: -26.0 to +27.3°C.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:51 AM

2,900 posts, read 2,001,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QIDb602 View Post
A poll on this would be interesting.

Seattle, WA: C+

I'd say Seattle is more good than bad in terms of climate but mediocre nonetheless. The main problem is that summers are too cool and dry with virtually no humidity or thunderstorm activity. Wildfires have occurred in recent years due to lack of summer rain. Spring and fall are too cool as well. Winters are too cloudy and slightly too cool. The weather overall also needs to be less boring with more changeable temperatures and heavy downpours while also having less monotonous drizzle in winter.
I strongly envied Seattle's weather until this year. Man, we had dark clouds for a week straight(central valley, calif) and it drove me crazy. First time I've ever been affected by gloom(afaik). It started to pain me to even look up at the sky by like the 5th day. Had to take off the pnw from my retirement list after this

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 01-13-2019 at 02:00 AM..

Old 01-13-2019, 04:16 AM

2,413 posts, read 1,038,982 times

I give it an E. Too dull for most of the year. Summers are delightful though.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:24 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,503,677 times
Rate the climate threads without polls are like trying to jog without running shoes...

Anyway, my climate is a C-

It has decent summers, especially in terms of sunshine and daylight. It combines that with a good snow cover chance during winter. Having said that, many months are outright miserable, especially November and early December.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:32 AM

30,425 posts, read 21,234,977 times
I give my area a F for fail. Dry summers, insane lows and dew points, warm and dry winters, super hot falls and springs.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:55 AM

1,503 posts, read 913,636 times
Bath, UK. D - generally too cool to cold year round for me. Winters very gloomy as at this latitude the days are very short and the sun quite feeble even if there are clear skies in winter. On the plus side there is usually enough rain and the extreme lows aren't that low, with comparitively little snow and ice.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:04 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,664,616 times
An A- for my climate - nice temperatures, good rainfall that tends to be heavy, even sunshine distribution.

Best summed up as climate where I can have a fresh orange juice from the trees in the garden and then head up for a ski -very few places in the world where this is so easy to do.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:42 AM

6,790 posts, read 4,233,580 times
Washington D.C. area: D-

D.C. is based on a literal swamp. If you're ever near the river in the summer, you'll quickly realize this. So summer is hot and humid to a point where outdoor activity just isn't very enjoyable, heck outdoor inactivity isn't very enjoyable either. Nothing like sitting in a ballpark with sweat pouring down your face at 9 pm in the evening, nothing like having to spend much of summer indoors with the blinds down, windows shut and AC blasting. Nighttime temperatures generally stay above 70 and often enough remain in the upper 70s. A late evening walk in July is likely just as sweat-inducing as one at 3 pm (the lower temps being offset by close to 100% humidity).

Winter is cold and unpleasant. Northern Virginia might be historically in the 'South' and may technically have a subtropical climate, but it's a lot more Northeast winter than Florida winter. Nothing mild about it. The frequent weather systems and their warm and cold fronts make for very unsteady weather with powerful cold snaps always possible. You will see very sudden temperature increases and falls. On Monday it was mid 30s, on Tuesday, it was near 60 degrees...the next day it again was just barely over 40 and temperatures dropped into the 30s thereafter. This was accompanied by very strong winds. The occasional bouts of 60+ degree weather in mid winter would deceive..you need the same clothing, same heating, same snow shovels and what else as you would if you lived in PA or NJ.

The most pleasant time of the year here are the few weeks of spring and fall that might be considered 'pleasant' at times. But one needs to be cautious there, too, because in many ways it's rare even then for conditions to be in a pleasant medium as an alternation of windy/chilly and warm/humid is quite common in the transitional seasons. It's still the most enjoyable part of the year. I like spring thunderstorms of which you do get a fair few here, and April/October are probably your best hopes for a genuinely pleasant 70-75 degree day here. It's why it's a D- and not an F.

Overall though, you spend way too much time here huddled up and longing for heating or sweating and longing for AC. It's a Northern winter and a Southern summer..worst of both worlds.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:48 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,599,478 times
south west UK, known for its mild climate and long growing season, plenty of rain but no snow, mild frosts and occasional morning fog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.