Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 12:32 AM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times

Advertisements

Southwest Ohio, USA. Grade: D

Summers are hot and humid. Fall/spring and achingly too short. Winter is long, gloomy and decidedly unpleasant, often becoming quite brutal with "polar vortices". Summers are influenced by Caribbean patterns, and winters by Canadian ones. Why couldn't it be the reverse?

Throughout the year, it's far too humid and too rainy. The place is notorious for weather-variability, both from day to day, and year to year. I'd prefer more consistent, steady patterns. Then there's the nasty seasonal lag... there might be snow in mid-April, while mid-October can have days in the 80s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIDb602 View Post
Seattle, WA: C+

I'd say Seattle is more good than bad in terms of climate but mediocre nonetheless. The main problem is that summers are too cool and dry with virtually no humidity or thunderstorm activity. Wildfires have occurred in recent years due to lack of summer rain. Spring and fall are too cool as well. Winters are too cloudy and slightly too cool. The weather overall also needs to be less boring with more changeable temperatures and heavy downpours while also having less monotonous drizzle in winter.
Wow - I'd give that climate at least an A-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Washington D.C. area: D-

D.C. is based on a literal swamp. If you're ever near the river in the summer, you'll quickly realize this. So summer is hot and humid to a point where outdoor activity just isn't very enjoyable, heck outdoor inactivity isn't very enjoyable either. ...

Winter is cold and unpleasant. ...
Having lived in Northern VA (Fairfax County) and SW Ohio, I find the Ohio winters to be considerably more severe than in Northern VA. Mean temperatures are colder, there's more apparent humidity, and the occasional extremes are truly horrendous. Summers in SW Ohio are slightly cooler, than in Northern VA, but only slightly. Transitional seasons in Northern VA are longer, as winter comes later, and spring comes earlier.

Virginia also has much more beautiful fall foliage. Winter skies offer a cloud-pattern, while in Ohio the winter sky is imperturbably somber-gray and solidly cloudy. So, if SW Ohio deserves a D, I'd give Northern VA a C or even C+.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:59 AM

895 posts, read 604,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
While I'd give Cincinnati a B. I guess people always find something to complain about in their climate no matter what. Summers are too cool and too short and too dry here; it always starts on July 5 and ends with wildfire smoke. It actually did literally start on July 5 last year. And it ended with wildfire smoke. Most of the year is better in Cincinnati IMO. Pretty much the only good thing I can say about Seattle's summers is that A/C is unnecessary. Although I enjoy the heat and storms when they arrive and it's still the nicest season, however much that says.

Last edited by arcleo; 01-14-2019 at 01:09 AM..

Old 01-14-2019, 01:24 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
Cincinnati clocks in at an 88.1% / B+ on my grading scale, with every factor scoring an A or a B. Good climate.

Winter mean / Summer mean / Seasonal range / Precip / Seasonal lag / Snowfall / Record range*

88 / 82 / 84 / 91 / 100 / 81 / 92

Old 01-14-2019, 10:47 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
Weirton WV, been here four years now, so far all the winters have been mild, very little snow and summers only have a maybe ten really hot days. Overall it is probably a B to B+

Old 01-14-2019, 12:19 PM

6,798 posts, read 4,243,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Southwest Ohio, USA. Grade: D

Summers are hot and humid. Fall/spring and achingly too short. Winter is long, gloomy and decidedly unpleasant, often becoming quite brutal with "polar vortices". Summers are influenced by Caribbean patterns, and winters by Canadian ones. Why couldn't it be the reverse?

Throughout the year, it's far too humid and too rainy. The place is notorious for weather-variability, both from day to day, and year to year. I'd prefer more consistent, steady patterns. Then there's the nasty seasonal lag... there might be snow in mid-April, while mid-October can have days in the 80s.

Having lived in Northern VA (Fairfax County) and SW Ohio, I find the Ohio winters to be considerably more severe than in Northern VA. Mean temperatures are colder, there's more apparent humidity, and the occasional extremes are truly horrendous. Summers in SW Ohio are slightly cooler, than in Northern VA, but only slightly. Transitional seasons in Northern VA are longer, as winter comes later, and spring comes earlier.

Virginia also has much more beautiful fall foliage. Winter skies offer a cloud-pattern, while in Ohio the winter sky is imperturbably somber-gray and solidly cloudy. So, if SW Ohio deserves a D, I'd give Northern VA a C or even C+.

I think summer in D.C. is probably a bit more humid and a bit hotter as well. Not that I doubt that it's pretty bad in Ohio, too. I am familiar with summer in Michigan and it was a lot more pleasant than D.C. for sure but that's a lot further north than Cincinnati, too. But I will fully concede that an Upper Midwest winter would not be pleasant by any means.

Climate-wise I want a summer that is fairly warm (highs between 75 and 85) but not very humid, a winter that's fairly reliably mild with highs between 50 and 70. Southern California is the ideal climate for sure, but in absence of that I'd prefer a climate where at least one of winter or summer is actually enjoyable. Out here it feels like in summer you just get sick of sweating so much, in winter you get sick of freezing so much. And the transition seems to be so fast it's a blur.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:15 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QIDb602 View Post
While I'd give Cincinnati a B. I guess people always find something to complain about in their climate no matter what. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Cincinnati clocks in at an 88.1% / B+ on my grading scale, with every factor scoring an A or a B. Good climate.
Several clichés and hackneyed adages come to mind… grass is greener on the other side, familiarity breeds contempt, … I fully concede this.

But I notice another thing: extremes and large changes are popular on this Forum. Many folks like heavy snow, thunderstorms, exotic wind-patterns, scorching summers changes in ambient density and so forth. A steady mildness is dismissed as being insipid and monotonous.

For persons who like SW Ohio weather, the good news is that it’s broadly common throughout America. From Minneapolis down to Memphis, from Oklahoma City to Cleveland, a vast swath of America has hot and humid summers, cold winters, short transitional seasons and highly variable weather. Exceptions to the rule hug the coasts: West Coast, East Coast, Gulf Coast… and even much of the East Coast, at DC and further north, resemble the aforementioned midsection. Sure, it’s going to be colder in January in Minnesota than in Arkansas, but the Polar Vortex reaches far. I’m more comfortable when it’s 27 deg F, than when it’s 0 deg F, but both are going to require a heavy jacket.

Contrast this with Europe, and in particular Western and Southern Europe, where both winters and summers are milder, humidity is lower, and transitional seasons are longer.

My ideal climate would be Southeastern England… hard to replicate in North America!

Old 01-14-2019, 04:40 PM

6,798 posts, read 4,243,396 times
The thing is in Europe the warm air in summer comes form the deserts and prairies of North Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia..in the East of North America it comes from the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean. In Europe it's a hot, dry blast tempered by the Alps, the Pyrenees, the Carpathians and/or the chilly waters of the North Atlantic. In eastern North America it's a humid, hot airflow not tempered by much of anything. A toned down blow dryer vs a steam bath. It's a difference that often goes unnoticed.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:14 PM

1,049 posts, read 653,746 times
I live in what I would call the "Ohio-Valley Variant" of a Humid Subtropical Climate that would consider covering SE MO, S IL, S IN, OH south of I-70, all of KY, TN (north of I-40 and below 2000ft), and directly adjacent parts of NE Arkansas and West Virginia. Characterized by hot and humid summers that can rival the South at times, short but present springs and falls, and winters that are like Forrest Gumps' box of chocolates.

I would give the whole "Ohio-Valley Variant Subtropical Climate" a grade of C+ (which would be a 78 or 79% out of 100 points).

The +'s are the four seasons, the eventful weather to track, and the pretty display of the springs and falls even though they have been getting a bit more short-lived here recently.

The main - is the humidity which makes both the cold and the heat feel worse than they really are. Summers are also a tad bit too long for my liking. The winter and early spring can get pretty cloudy and gloomy (it has been 34F/1C and cloudy all day today) which I don't mind too much but for some that can be pretty miserable.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:23 PM

963 posts, read 855,532 times
Lima, Perú
C+
Would be B/B+ if not for lack of rain and lack of sunlight
Very high humidity (especially in winter) doesn't help either

Old 01-14-2019, 06:33 PM

895 posts, read 604,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe3797 View Post
Lima, Perú
C+
Would be B/B+ if not for lack of rain and lack of sunlight
Very high humidity (especially in winter) doesn't help either
I thought you liked high humidity. Any reason why you don't like it Lima?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.