Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 03:48 AM

193 posts, read 376,881 times

Advertisements

I love winter, freezing temperatures (air feels so fresh and invigorating) and snow but don't think I could stick it for months on end. I was getting fed up with it (the snow/ice) this winter after only a few weeks. If I lived in a town/city which could cope with snow and especially ICE then I'd probably enjoy it more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 05:47 PM

776 posts, read 1,673,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicislife.glee View Post
Every winter we hear people complain, complain, and complain about winter and cold weather, even if there is no snow on the ground.
Are there any people that are not part of that group? That actually like winter?
There must be many more than we think with no desire to escape winter for good or Florida and southern Arizona would be doing much better than they are these days. Having lived extended periods in very different climates I must say I hate long periods of heat and humidity as much as long periods of cold and grey weather.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:54 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
I love, love, LOVE snow, cold and ice! I spent a year in Spain and I couldn't stand it, the heat came too early and I ended up getting heat stroke. Winters were dull. Snow is lovely and I can't think of living in a climate where no snow is present and sun is 24/7.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:29 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,656,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I love, love, LOVE snow, cold and ice! I spent a year in Spain and I couldn't stand it, the heat came too early and I ended up getting heat stroke. Winters were dull. Snow is lovely and I can't think of living in a climate where no snow is present and sun is 24/7.
Snow sure is lovely but do you love the month after month of grey skies, lack of daylight, wind and rain that Leeds winters are more normally like? I'd like our winters to be just a few degrees colder like central Europe if we could cope with it (I'm not holding my breath on that though) as stuff like cross-country skiing, skating on canals, sledging and ice sculpture festivals sound a lot more fun than spending weekends sitting indoors watching rain being blown against the windows.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:37 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Snow sure is lovely but do you love the month after month of grey skies, lack of daylight, wind and rain that Leeds winters are more normally like? I'd like our winters to be just a few degrees colder like central Europe if we could cope with it (I'm not holding my breath on that though) as stuff like cross-country skiing, skating on canals, sledging and ice sculpture festivals sound a lot more fun than spending weekends sitting indoors watching rain being blown against the windows.
Where I live, Wyoming, we get lots of snow, but we don't have days on end of grey skys. We'll have a day or two of snow and grey, but then it'll clear up and be so bright it's almost blinding. I don't think I'd like the grey if it stuck around, but it's not a problem here. We actually get more grey in the spring when the rains come.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:00 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,656,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Where I live, Wyoming, we get lots of snow, but we don't have days on end of grey skys. We'll have a day or two of snow and grey, but then it'll clear up and be so bright it's almost blinding. I don't think I'd like the grey if it stuck around, but it's not a problem here. We actually get more grey in the spring when the rains come.
Yep, that's another positive about snow, how it reflects more light at the time of year when there isn't so much. To give one example, if there's no snow on the ground then in the front room at my parents' house in midwinter even at midday it's normally too dark to comfortably be able to read a newspaper if the sky is cloudy, but if there's snow in the front garden, then voila! I've heard that in northern cities like Stockholm the mild winters are actually the most depressing, because when it's just that little bit too mild for sustained snow cover then not only is everything a slushy horrible mess but half the brightness goes.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:00 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post

I LOVE all of what you are describing. Perfect weather to hop in my plane and go flying to maintain my instrument flying skills!!

I wish I lived somewhere it was in the 40's or 50' with wind driven rain and fog for weeks if not months on end!

Old 03-22-2011, 01:38 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,590,488 times
I love the winter and snow. I moved from Texas to Colorado for 4 seasons. I'd have to say Fall is probably my best season up here, but Winter is a very close 2nd. I hate summer and even up here, it's my least favorite season. I don't care if it snows until May, but it would be inbetween some warm temps so you get the best of both worlds. Yesterday we got to 79°F after a morning of 36°F.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:53 PM

79 posts, read 205,021 times
I miss having the nice long winters and massive amounts of snow in my home city of Syracuse,NY!!!

I love snow, preferably lots of it. Fall and winter are definitely my favorite seasons. I enjoy the snowstorms, months of cloudy weather, and everything about winters in Syracuse.

If I could, I would move some of Syracuse's weather down here to Kentucky so I would enjoy the climate a bit more

Old 03-24-2011, 04:30 PM

7 posts, read 10,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicislife.glee View Post
Every winter we hear people complain, complain, and complain about winter and cold weather, even if there is no snow on the ground.
Are there any people that are not part of that group? That actually like winter?
Kids that don't shovel....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather