Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 03:56 PM

753 posts, read 839,927 times

Advertisements

Vancouver:

Favorite
:
-Relatively comfortable temperatures year round
-Green all year round thanks to the climate
-Diurnal range is generally low, and the climate is fairly stable
-Humidity is at a comfortable level most of the year (winter can be a bit dry though)

Least Favorite:
-Still too chilly in the winter for my liking, despite a lack of real cold
-Too much rain in the winter. I like having a good amount of rain and clouds, but I don't like it during the winter, as it makes the already chilly temperatures feel worse. Would much rather have a hot, rainy summer than a chilly, rainy winter
-The climate's stability can predictability can make it a bit boring at times
-Summers are comfortably warm, but I would prefer if they were hotter at times and had some more humidity
-Almost no thunderstorms at all

Saskatoon:

Favorite:
-Awesome summers - very comfortable temperatures with a handful of hot, humid days
-Awesome thunderstorms in the summer - vivid and incredible to watch, but without being really destructive or dangerous (in the city, at least - probably more of a concern when you're in a rural area or small town)
-Vivid skies all year long
-Wild, unstable climate prone to extremes and wild deviations from average at all times of the year - certainly makes things interesting

Least Favorite:
-The cold season is way too long - temperatures are below freezing for about 5 months a year, and even in the shoulder seasons you still have below freezing nights and days can get chilly at times
-Too sunny at times - I like sunshine but sometimes it can be excessive, such as in September last year when we had almost no rain or clouds at all the entire month
-Too dry - humidity is really low most of the year, particularly in winter. I get really cracked, dry, irritated hands and lips for most of the year. June to August are about the only months where the humidity is at a comfortable level for me (and even then I'd still like to have a greater number of humid days than we generally get)
-Monotonous and lacking in color - winter features five months of plain white snow cover on the ground. After the snow melts we have nearly two months of monotonous brown/yellow barren scenery, and about one month of it after the fall colors and before the permanent snow

Those are my thoughts on those two climates. They both have their ups and downs and I can handle living in either one, but neither one is really ideal for me. I absolutely love summertime in Saskatoon, but it's just a few months of nice weather followed by a very long cold season. Vancouver never gets as awesome at any point in the year as summertime is in Saskatoon, but it's almost always above freezing, and nice and green year round, so that counts for something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 06:59 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,993,687 times
Favourite:

*Good mix of sunshine and some rain
*Dry heat (not that I like heat, but it's better than humid)
*Uniform rainfall/sunshine hours all year round
*Chance of dust storms

Least favourite:

*Winters can be a bit cold, especially here inland
*Summers can be hot, inland again
*Thunderstorms can be startlingly annoying

Old 11-17-2014, 07:12 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,363,275 times
Favorite:
- Variation
- Occasional storms
- Fairly high rainfall
- Decent sunshine

Least favorite
- Summers have excessive heat at times and not enough thunderstorms to my liking.
- Winter averages are too high and too little snow.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:13 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,284,930 times
Favorite
-Quite sunny, though not extremely so
-Pleasant winters with potential for frost
-Plants can be grown all year because of year-long growing season and abundant precipitation
Least favorite
-Long, hot, humid, cloudy, and rainy summers
-Usually predictable and boring
-About 10F too warm year round

Old 11-17-2014, 07:20 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,586,744 times
The overcast period of mid October to mid March!

Old 11-17-2014, 08:41 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,468,125 times
Favorite:

Least Favorite:
Winters are neither cold enough nor snowy enough
Summers are too humid and long; thunderstorms are uncommon
Too much sunshine

Old 11-17-2014, 08:52 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,183,172 times
Favorite: stability. Winters in the 60s and summers in the 80s so we get some seasonal variation but it's all comfortable weather. No hurricanes or tornadoes or black ice or any life-threatening type of conditions. Cool nights for most of summer for comfortable open windows vs. blasted AC. Occasional warm balmy nights in late summer for a change.

Least Favorite: too dry in spring, summer, and fall although winter rainfall is perfect for me. Very little warm rain, and thunderstorms, and SST are too low. Rainfall often comes in the form of cloudy days with light rainfall on and off rather than heavy downpours followed by clearing that day. Microclimates can provide some variety but it's a bit bothersome when we have cooler than average summers and the beaches are too cold to really enjoy.

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 11-17-2014 at 10:14 PM..

Old 11-17-2014, 09:52 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,471,184 times
Favorite:
-Potential of high humidity and some quality thunderstorms in summer

Least Favorite:
-Frigid winters
-Invasions of dry high pressure during summer
-Sunshine and rainfall pattern is the reverse of what I prefer
-Too much diurnal range (cool nights) year round

Old 11-18-2014, 02:52 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,665,398 times
I'm in the tropics, 0.6N near sea level, so
Fav : Mild mornings (hope like that for the high/25C), sunny middle of year
Least : Cloud early in the year combined by late sunrises!!! And too warm and humid high (90F with 60-70% humid by solar noon or so)

Hope : Timezone change 60 min back, so I ca get earlier sunrises, no later than 5:30, it means bright enough in the 6am even for the cloudiest and latest sunrise temps (Jan-Feb), cut off 4-7 C (7-12F) so it feels like Bandung/Malang.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:11 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,307,655 times
I was raised in one place and live in another

Lyon, France:

Favorite:

- seasonality, more pronounced than in most french climates. We actually have 4 seasons
- warm summers with occasional hot spells
- cold winters but nothin too harsh
- dynamic climate: It changes every 4 or 5 days
- wind, storms, thunderstorms, hail or heavy snow are all possible, yet none of them makes a lot of damages, as the weather changes fast.
- rain comes in downpours more than in drizzles. We get 30 cm more rain than Paris but it rains less often.

Least favorite:

- Depending on the years, the continentality can suffer a bit and our climate can become more oceanic and thus some summers are way too cool with long periods of cool days under 25c and clouds/rain, but mostly it's the winters than have a tendancy to become extremely warm in the recent years with many days above 10c and almost no frost, let alone snow.

- colder periods in winter are usually the dryest, which limits the chances of snow. Fortunately, we have mountains in the area so we can still see snow if we want, but we rarely get more than 50 cm in the whole winter, with some winters only a few cm.

-may and june or september can be warmer than july and august on some years. 2007 or 2014 are good examples.

Bologna, Italy:

Favorite:

-4 distinct seasons. Summers can become really hot, yet those winters are not mild.
- summer lows remain quite high, so no need to bring a jacket or wear jeans on summer nights (usually)
- heavy snow is possible in winter due to the high humidity. Almost one meter of snow fell in february 2012 in the city, which is something impossible in my hometown.

Least Favorite:

- too humid, most of the time, most of the year. Relative Humidity above 80% is quite normal. As a consequence, the weather is often uncomfortable, especially in spring and fall when temperatures are just mild but in reality do not feel mild at all. Very sweaty climate, which makes me shiver a lot. As a result I have a hard time understanding how to dress even if the diurnal range is much lower here than where I'm from. I often get either too cold or too warm but don't succeed to get it right. Winters also can feel horrifically cold even if the temperature is above 5c, just because we live in a permanent fog

- No wind. Well, there's a bit of breeze here and there once every three weeks, but that's about it.

- Can get boring at times because it can stay the same for two weeks.

- permanent haze / fog on very humid days, even if it's sunny.

- heavy pollution

Last edited by forgotten username; 11-18-2014 at 03:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather