Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate it
A 8 18.60%
B 12 27.91%
C 9 20.93%
D 10 23.26%
F 4 9.30%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 02:11 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I like mild, warm, to hot temperatures too. However, I don't mind winters when they are short and can even enjoy them as long as they short. Tokyo falls into this category for me for one example.

However, I don't like long winters for more than 2 months and could not deal with a Calgary, Winnipeg, Minneapolis, Ottawa, Siberia Russia, Ulan Bator, Harbin type of winter. It would actually depress me to live in those severely cold and long winters.

I just hope you can see how others like different types of temperatures, and variation like that sometimes. Plenty of people like mild, warm, and hot temperatures but sometimes also like cooler temperatures.

I can understand if you like only mild, warm, hot temperatures but it just surprising short 1 to 2 month long winters bothers you so much.
I cant imagine how you feel about those cities I mentioned with 5 to 7 month long and extreme cold winters and with cities that may have mild winters but a lack to no actual summers.

Well, I lived in Ottawa for a number of years when I went to university. I truly detested the weather there to the point that it made me very depressed. Once I graduated school, I got out of there as fast as I could. So, I understand how a really long winter can make someone depressed.
I don't mind cities with mild winters but with no actual summers. My biggest beef with winter is dead vegetation and snowfall. I hate snowfall as it's very disruptive.
All that being said though, these are my personal preferences and I can certainly understand that not everyone is going to be like me and that everyone is different and has their own preferences
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,921,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Well, I lived in Ottawa for a number of years when I went to university. I truly detested the weather there to the point that it made me very depressed. Once I graduated school, I got out of there as fast as I could. So, I understand how a really long winter can make someone depressed.
I don't mind cities with mild winters but with no actual summers. My biggest beef with winter is dead vegetation and snowfall. I hate snowfall as it's very disruptive.
All that being said though, these are my personal preferences and I can certainly understand that not everyone is going to be like me and that everyone is different and has their own preferences
That sucks that Ottawa went so badly for you.
However, I think Ottawa was depressing for other reasons too other than weather.
For example, Toronto and Montreal have pretty similar winters but at least they are much better and more exciting cities that can help with the depressing winters.

Where are you originally from in Canada?

While I like mild, warm, hot temperatures for similar reasons as you I don't mind winters when they are short and can even enjoy it as long as it is short for roughly 1 to 2 months. I like snow. Especially on mountains(most of the time it just belongs on mountains). It looks pretty and can bring nice variation to weather. But I would only want to deal with snow for about one month.

When winters are longer than 1 to 2 months I end up not enjoying it and start hating it because it just is not enjoyable anymore and drags on too much.

And winters that are like 5 months and longer and as cold and severe as Minneapolis, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Harbin, Urumqi, Siberian russian cities etc.
are depressing and horrible to me. Could not deal with extreme winters like that.

I am glad you can see how people can have different weather preferences of all types also.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:54 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,962,141 times
D-, All subtropical climates get a D or below for me, unless it has a sharp winter.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:36 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,788,649 times
I give it a "B"

Summers are long and hot. Winters have lots of rain.

The only thing dragging it down is that I find the winters a bit too warm.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:42 PM

678 posts, read 1,205,609 times
Quote:

Could not deal with extreme winters like that.

I am glad you can see how people can have different weather preferences of all types also.
Unlike you, I'd feel good under extreme range of termometers. It's nice when you have 2 or 3 chilling mornings and 5 days ahead you escaped totally from bitter cold. There was one time in Sept. 2006 when I felt that. A polar cold had dropped temps. to 40F around city and 1 week later, it went up to 95F. It was insane(and pretty exciting) to me.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,921,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardobrazil View Post
Unlike you, I'd feel good under extreme range of termometers. It's nice when you have 2 or 3 chilling mornings and 5 days ahead you escaped totally from bitter cold. There was one time in Sept. 2006 when I felt that. A polar cold had dropped temps. to 40F around city and 1 week later, it went up to 95F. It was insane(and pretty exciting) to me.
No. You misinterpreted my post.

I was referring to not liking the weather in places that get very cold, long, and extreme winters such as Winnipeg, Minneapolis, Calgary, Harbin, Urumqi, Edmonton, Ottawa, Siberia Russia etc. where temperatures are routinely 25F to -50F.

I like temperature variation and variation in weather(such as the example you gave) but not like those places I mentioned.

Last edited by ; 06-04-2011 at 02:05 PM..

Old 06-04-2011, 01:59 PM

678 posts, read 1,205,609 times
Quote:
No. You misinterpreted my post.

I was referring to not liking the weather in places that get very cold, long, and extreme winters such as Winnipeg, Minneapolis, Calgary, Harbin, Urumqi, Edmonton, Ottawa, Siberia Russia etc. where temperatures are routinely 25F to -30F.

I like temperature variation and variation in weather(such as the example you gave) but not like those places I mentioned.
Got it.

I also dislike extreme cold.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:47 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I am quite the opposite and will gladly take a "real" winter (cold and snowy, but not -30 all the time of course) followed by a real summer (above 25 C - what's that, 78 F? - every day).

I also prefer -5 C (28 F?) and snow to plus 5 C (42 F?) and rain since at least in the snow you can go out and do stuff. This is especially true when you have kids. I can't imagine what kids do all winter in cool and rainy winters that hover just above freezing.

I also couldn't imagine going through a cool and rainy winter just a few degrees above freezing and then be "rewarded" with a summer where many, many days are below 20 C (68 F).

I have friends who live on the west coast of Norway and their winters are just above freezing, generally snow-free, and summers are in the 18 C (66 F?) range. Not my idea of fun.

On the other hand, I could live with temperatures above 20 C (68 F) all year round. But I always say that if it can't be above 20 C or close in the winter, it may as well be just below freezing with snow.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:09 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,656,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am quite the opposite and will gladly take a "real" winter (cold and snowy, but not -30 all the time of course) followed by a real summer (above 25 C - what's that, 78 F? - every day).

I also prefer -5 C (28 F?) and snow to plus 5 C (42 F?) and rain since at least in the snow you can go out and do stuff. This is especially true when you have kids. I can't imagine what kids do all winter in cool and rainy winters that hover just above freezing.

I also couldn't imagine going through a cool and rainy winter just a few degrees above freezing and then be "rewarded" with a summer where many, many days are below 20 C (68 F).

I have friends who live on the west coast of Norway and their winters are just above freezing, generally snow-free, and summers are in the 18 C (66 F?) range. Not my idea of fun.

On the other hand, I could live with temperatures above 20 C (68 F) all year round. But I always say that if it can't be above 20 C or close in the winter, it may as well be just below freezing with snow.
Stay indoors, unfortunately. That would explain why here at least many people 'remember' childhood winters snowier and summers sunnier than the statistics actually show - they didn't do anything worth remembering on the cool, wet days. Though saying that, our two most common sports which we invented - football and rugby, played by most children (well, boys) at some stage - can be played in our winters but can't in yours.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:36 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Stay indoors, unfortunately. That would explain why here at least many people 'remember' childhood winters snowier and summers sunnier than the statistics actually show - they didn't do anything worth remembering on the cool, wet days. Though saying that, our two most common sports which we invented - football and rugby, played by most children (well, boys) at some stage - can be played in our winters but can't in yours.
Good point. And when you think of it, cool(er) weather (say, between 8 C and 20 C), is probably best for football/rugby than scorching heat is.

Necessity is the mother of invention - historically people invented sports that were best suited to their climates and geography.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather