Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer, Washington DC or Melbourne?
Washington, DC 28 39.44%
Melbourne 33 46.48%
No preference 7 9.86%
I am here to spoil this poll 3 4.23%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 08:06 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,456,014 times

Advertisements

Washington DC because I hate dry heat more than snow. There are consequently more thunderstorms there.

Melbourne is one of the worst places for a lightning enthusiast, just ask Full Polar Overcast Nuclear Chicken Wings...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 08:11 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,905 times
Easy easy win for Melbourne. DC is very mediocre in comparison. The humidity is lower during a very pleasant summer. People that want hot summers but hide inside AC homes should just slap themselves in the face.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:45 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,275,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Easy easy win for Melbourne. DC is very mediocre in comparison. The humidity is lower during a very pleasant summer. People that want hot summers but hide inside AC homes should just slap themselves in the face.
Agree. A very easy win for Melbourne...cooler summer, warmer winter, win-win.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:35 AM

865 posts, read 1,077,298 times
Washington. I would enjoy the extremes and the precipitation. I spent a lot of time in Melbourne. The temperature was highly variable from one day to the next, but I didn't get to experience any dramatic thunderstorms, which was disappointing. Winters are just depressing, with mild temperatures and no chance of snow or even frost.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:32 PM

13,486 posts, read 9,030,344 times
Melbourne, DC is far too cold in winter...

Old 07-28-2014, 02:40 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,690,601 times
Washington DC - a more interesting climate, humid warm and thundery summers.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:00 PM

115 posts, read 145,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
Washington DC - a more interesting climate, humid warm and thundery summers.
Not only is the more tropical summers of Washington more interesting (thundery, humid....etc)...but the number of rain days in Washington (114 ) seems just right. The 151 rain days in Melbourne tells me that sun is often hidden behind clouds on many days - the bane of oceanic climates.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:51 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomaster2004 View Post
Not only is the more tropical summers of Washington more interesting (thundery, humid....etc)...but the number of rain days in Washington (114 ) seems just right. The 151 rain days in Melbourne tells me that sun is often hidden behind clouds on many days - the bane of oceanic climates.
There does seem to be some doubt about the accuracy of US sunshine stats, and given that DC has about 2530 hours, and parts of Melbourne around 2400 hours. it's possible that the sun hours are little different.

DC rain does look heavier, but probably little different to many Oceanic climates.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:25 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,410,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
There does seem to be some doubt about the accuracy of US sunshine stats, and given that DC has about 2530 hours, and parts of Melbourne around 2400 hours. it's possible that the sun hours are little different.

DC rain does look heavier, but probably little different to many Oceanic climates.
Yes - this.

Sunshine stats are probably higher in parts of Melbourne compared to D.C if you use international sunshine measuring stats

Old 07-28-2014, 07:45 PM

115 posts, read 145,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post

Numbers are helpful, but I tend to go by what travelers (or those well traveled) recant about trips abroad. Additionally, those whom have lived in several parts of the world, also get the advantage of comparing climates that numbers often can’t show. Still, something tells me the hrs of sunshine between Washington and Melbourne are not all that close.

It has been noted to me several times how Melbourne can periodically be quite overcast and even “raw” is a term I’ve heard several times. This comes as quite a shock, as unlike New Zealand of course, much of Australia is hot desert or hot tropical/subtropical. Also, Melbourne is much more ocean controlled than Washington of course, especially in winter. More mild and moist air mass impact Melbourne, and few cold air mass impact Melbourne. In Washington DC in the three winter months can see fairly cold temps. In general, cold air masses are often dry and sunny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather