Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 10:14 AM

584 posts, read 1,689,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Houston TROPICAL? I wish. Winters here get very cold (I'll avoid saying they are subarctic to avoid controversy), always down to the 20s and 30s*F for a few days every winter, occasionally even high teens! Highs in the 60s*F is hardly tropical. We even get snow once or twice a decade! No coconut palms here!

I think New York City should be classified as a maritime warm temperate climate, people don't move there for warmer temperatures like they do in the south.
Don't worry about that, Houston is SUBTROPICAL. Perhaps Santa could change Houston from subtropical to tropical

Even Fort Myers FL is at the borderline of tropical and subtropical, it would be zillion years before Houston became tropical !
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 10:26 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat lover View Post
Wrong. Anchorage has 5 months averaging 50+, and falls under USDA hardiness zone 4, same as Minneapolis. Regardless of how long the winter is, a climate should not be considered subpolar unless it belongs to hardiness zone 1.

I think they ought to get rid of the Mediterranean climate group. While it is appropriate to classify Rome and Athens as Mediterranean, places that do not border the Mediterranean, like the California coast, should not be called Mediterranean.
Anchorage only has three months with an average temperature of 50F.. not 5.. what planet do you live on?

Old 12-08-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Houston slightly cooler then Honolulu in winter? LOL. Houston's average January temperature is Honolulu's record low!
I agree with you, Houston is much colder than Honolulu in the winter.

Why would people want to make Houston tropical ?

Houston is SUBTROPICAL !

Old 12-08-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Houston's average January temperature: 54*F
Hilo's record low: 53*F

Houston's average January high: 63*F
Hilo's average January high: 79*F

10 degrees?
Houston's Jan AVERAGE (54F) is well below the required 64.4F (18C) monthly average MINIMUM to qualify as tropical.

Why would people want to make Houston tropical ? To give snowbirds the elusion that Houston is palmy, filled with royal palm trees, and even coconut trees ? To attract snowbirds to Houston ?

I think one of the guidelines is to use coconut trees to classify tropical:
(1) Tropical: Coconut trees are thriving such as Southeast Florida (West Palm Beach all the way down to Miami, the Florida keys), Naples, Bonita Springs and Fort Myers in Southwest Florida.
(2) Marginally tropical or borderline or transition zone of tropical: Coconut trees survive but don't grow that fast or might die if there's a record cold spell such as areas just North of Fort Myers such as Port Charlotte (coconut trees survive along the river/harbour).

Another guideline is how green the grass is in Dec/Jan/Feb:
- Orlando: Subtropical because the grass in Dec/Jan/Feb is yellow as opposed to Fort Myers FL where you will see green grass in Dec/Jan/Feb

The 3rd guideline is leaves on trees in Dec/Jan/Feb: Full of leaves, flowers are thriving in Dec/Jan/Feb at places such as Southeast Florida (West Palm Beach and South), Florida Keys of course, Naples (beautiful flowers on Dec 31), Bonita Springs, Fort Myers FL as opposed to Orlando (no leaves in Dec/Jan/Feb), I don't notice flowers in Orlando in Dec. Well except inside theme parks (Disney, Universal where flowers and grass are taken cared of and also sheltered by buildings/people).

Does anyone know if Houston or Brownsville TX have coconut trees and green grass in Dec/Jan/Feb ?

Last edited by Snowbird100; 12-08-2011 at 12:03 PM..

Old 12-08-2011, 11:12 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,566,536 times
Yeah, Houston is not tropical by any stretch of the imagination.

IMO :

Delhi is classified as subtropical because that's what it fits technically, but it should rather be some kind of "Hot desert with monsoon" e.g. May has an average high of 40°C with very little rainfall there, that doesn't feel like subtropical weather to me. I've been to Delhi several times around Jul/Aug and even then it felt like an arid place, with sand on the ground, most days 35-38°C+, clear, dry, sunny... With, that's right, a minority of overcast 25-27°C days with brutal downpours. And that's the two wettest months of the year, from mid-Sep to mid-June there's close to no rain.

NYC should be continental IMO.

I've been thinking for a while about creating a new climate classification, it makes me think I should create a thread about it

Old 12-08-2011, 11:45 AM

That's right, subtropical doesn't fit NYC at all !

NYC is very similar to cities in Southern Ontario Canada, perhaps a few degrees warmer. If NYC was subtropical, perhaps some cities in Southern Ontario was also subtropical, say Pelee island in lake Erie or even Point Pelee, a small town at the Southern most tip of Canada.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Houston's average January temperature: 54*F
Hilo's record low: 53*F

Houston's average January high: 63*F
Hilo's average January high: 79*F

10 degrees?
If Houston (average Jan 54F) qualified as tropical (requirement: Average monthly for ALL 12 months is 64.4F MINIMUM), then why wouldn't Port Charlotte FL (Jan average 63.4F) just North of Fort Myers FL qualify as tropical ?

Port Charlotte just missed the qualification mark of 64.4F by 1F.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 12-28-2011 at 05:11 AM..

Old 12-09-2011, 01:13 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat lover View Post
I repeat again, Houston January average high is Hilo's average low. There are places in the tropics that are just as cool as Houston on average, nothing shocking.
Houston is nowhere near tropical. Tropical to me suggests warm to hot temperatures all year, never getting cold. Of course alpine tropical climates overlap between tropical and alpine climates.

Comparing Southern hemisphere and Northern hemisphere climates complicates things. Sydney is on the edge of being sub-tropical, as is NY, on the basis of it's relatively cool summers. NYC on the basis of it's warm summers. Subjectively NYC seems well into the temperate zone to me: certainly more temperate than most of Southern Australia is. When I think sub-tropical I think New Orleans or Brisbane; predominantly warm to hot climates with a somewhat cool/mild winter and occasional cold spells. NYC certainly isn't tropical-feeling most of the year.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:05 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,566,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Houston is nowhere near tropical. Tropical to me suggests warm to hot temperatures all year, never getting cold. Of course alpine tropical climates overlap between tropical and alpine climates.

Comparing Southern hemisphere and Northern hemisphere climates complicates things. Sydney is on the edge of being sub-tropical, as is NY, on the basis of it's relatively cool summers. NYC on the basis of it's warm summers. Subjectively NYC seems well into the temperate zone to me: certainly more temperate than most of Southern Australia is. When I think sub-tropical I think New Orleans or Brisbane; predominantly warm to hot climates with a somewhat cool/mild winter and occasional cold spells. NYC certainly isn't tropical-feeling most of the year.
I fully agree

Old 12-09-2011, 08:10 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,422,619 times
BUXTON Derbyshire, bloody Subarctic, Boreal whatever the hell, sure ain't temperate or close to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather