Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 06:50 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Sydney has more rain and rainy days than London.
Exactly, Sydney may have more rain.. But in Sydney he rain pour down very heavily, and hence why isaid places like London, Seattle have long, gray misty days..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 06:52 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,599,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
, and yucky why u said places like London, Seattle have long, gray misty days..
No they don't. When it rains in London it rarely lasts longer than 30 mins. There are only about 10-20 days a year that rain all day.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:57 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
No they don't. When it rains in London it rarely lasts longer than 30 mins.
Yeah it's just sprinkling and overcast most of the time..

Old 02-20-2012, 07:00 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,599,580 times
Cloudy, yes (but there are still sunny spells on a lot of days)

Raining, no.

Example: the 14 day forecast has one day with rain falling, and 13 days with at least some sunshine.
http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weath...R=0&NOREGION=1

Old 02-20-2012, 07:15 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times
My memory of rain in SE England when I lived there is that slow, drizzly rain was very uncommon. Any rain was actually uncommon, it was a very dry place. Rain happened most in winter and autumn and could be heavy. Very few days had any misty prolonged rubbish, unlike here where it is a bit more common. Also any place I've lived in England there's no shortage of heavy convective rainfall downpours - just maybe not quite as long lasting as in places like Sydney.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:42 AM

839 posts, read 3,075,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
0F is insanely COLD

in Buenos Aires (a humid subtropical weather) we are having the coldest winter in decades and temperatures never get lower than 35f. 40f is very cold for our winter. Winter averages are between 50s and high 60s. Thats subtropical, imo.
This post is very old, but I just wanted to say:
Temperatures do get lower than 35 F in BA pretty much every winter, albeit in few occasions. The lowest every year is around 32 F. For example, in 2010 it was -1.7 C (28.9F), and in that same year it dipped below freezing one more time: -0.6 C (30.9 F). Some years the lowest low is above freezing but just by 1 or 2 C.

BTW, as to NYC being subtropical, I don't think it should be called that. If the labels in the calssification system should have some meaning for most people in the world, then NYC should be temperate.

Then, if those labels are to be selected according to some other criteria (culd be personal preferences, for instance), that's another story.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:33 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Sydney does have an Oceanic climate, or Koeppen Cfb, that much is fact (as far as that particular system goes). However it is on the hotter end when it comes to the Summer, and thus is somewhat borderline. Also year-round mist is hardly a characteristic of Cfb climates, although many Cfb places do possess that feature. There are many places such as the West Coast of the United States that have rainstorms that amount to a lot more than a typical rainstorm in some place like the U.K. or New Zealand.

London is certainly much more prototypical than Sydney when it comes to a Cfb climate, but both qualify .
My memory of US west coast ( mostly Eureka north)rainfall, was that it was light and prolonged, in comparison to rainfall around here. It got old quickly. If there was a heavy fall, I can't remember it. The heaviest I remember was around San Jose. It was only moderately heavy, but caused minor surface flooding-presumably because the ground was dry.

In contrast, when it rains around here, it is typically heavier than anything I saw there.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:29 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
My memory of US west coast ( mostly Eureka north)rainfall, was that it was light and prolonged, in comparison to rainfall around here. It got old quickly. If there was a heavy fall, I can't remember it. The heaviest I remember was around San Jose. It was only moderately heavy, but caused minor surface flooding-presumably because the ground was dry.

In contrast, when it rains around here, it is typically heavier than anything I saw there.
I was meaning something more like the Olympic Peninsula or British Columbia than Seattle. And New Zealand bucks the pattern of the mist as you noted .

Old 02-20-2012, 02:29 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Yeah it's just sprinkling and overcast most of the time..
Actually, no. Even here in Leeds, rain that lasts all day is not common at all, and in spring and summer they virtually don't exist, most if not all of our summer and spring rainfall either come from showers or overnight rainfall, that was definitely the case last summer.

Cloudy, yes, very much so, but in the case of lowland eastern England, definitely not wet, in fact, quite dry, maybe even very dry.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:31 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,017,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhitenorth View Post
I heard that pelee island in ontario is considered subtropical
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhitenorth View Post
yeah in july the average high temp is 29.5 and the low is 20.5 but in jan its -7 as a low and 0 as a high
Are you sure? Those averages seem a bit high to me.

The best I could find, 1971-2000 data from Environment Canada for Point Pelee, shows 26.7/18 C (I know that's not the island but I couldn't find any 30-year averages for stations on Pelee Island itself on the website but maybe someone's collected stats somewhere).

Station Results | Canada's National Climate Archive

It sounds a bit hard to believe that while being in the lake and thus moderated quite a bit as much as it should, the average high/low would be raised so much to 29.5/20 C.

Usually, the city of Windsor, which is nearby, is touted as the warmest summer spot in Canada overall (it's got 27.9/17.4 in July for 1971-2000, so lows a bit lower but highs a degree higher than Point Pelee), but I don't know how much it would change if we got proper data from Pelee Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather