Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 01:58 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I may say that the vegetation in the Pacific Northwest is adapted to dry season conditions, and the part of Western Oregon/Washington that is a temperate rainforest is not classified as Mediterranean, it has an Oceanic climate (and this is under Koeppen, not just Trewartha). The rest of the region does have a Mediterranean (Csb) climate, and that includes the cities of Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver, which are decidedly not in a temperate rainforest. Don't confuse the differing portions of Western Oregon and Washington.

I however must add that the common notion about the Pacific Northwest's climate is absurd, as the very nature of Mediterranean climates is for the summer to be dry with warm/hot conditions and for the winter or rest of the year to have oceanic-type weather (mild/cool and rain-dominated). The Pacific Northwest (well, the Seattle/Portland/Vancouver portion) is very different from actual oceanic climates. If it's otherwise like an oceanic climate but has a summer dry season, it's Mediterranean. By definition an oceanic climate has no dry season, but Seattle and Portland do have a dry season.

Just because Seattle and Portland have oceanic weather much of the year doesn't mean it's oceanic or not Mediterranean - that's precisely the point of classifying it as Csb instead of Cfb .
I am well aware of all of this. One thing that bothers me though is that the overall weather patterns and vegetation types are not at all similar to places with "typical" mediterranean climates. Some people have mentioned San Fransisco and Los Angeles. These areas tend to be rather dry, brown, and some parts of them are even classified as semi-arid. They (and other mediterranean areas) also have quite a large amount of scrubland with low-growing trees and scrappy, emaciated-looking bushes:

Compared to say, this:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 04:20 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,593,888 times
There are parts of SE England to the west of London that look like the vegetation above, but they are not Mediterranean.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:56 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Like the North Downs? Which is in Kent BTW so not west

Old 02-23-2012, 05:07 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,593,888 times
No, the heathlands of Surrey and Berkshire. Mostly short scrub and a few trees that always end up on fire sometime around May.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:13 AM

Ah right, I see what you mean.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:07 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,557,660 times
Ah the Csb/Cfb debate for vancouver, portland, seattle, etc...

As far as averages go, these cities are all Csb, technically. The S designates dry summer so they are definitely not Cfb.

From wikipedia:
Quote:
The second letter indicates the precipitation pattern: "s" represents dry summers: first, Köppen has defined a dry month as a month with less than one-third that of the wettest winter month, and with less than 30 mm of precipitations in a summer month. Some, however, use a 40 mm level.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate...ver#Statistics

The Vancouver airport is Csb but Canada Place is wet enough in the summer to be considered Cfb (>40mm in driest months...driest month is still less than a third of the wettest though).

And it looks like someone made Portland's summers resemble a more typical Mediterranean climate: Portland, Oregon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-23-2012, 11:14 PM

LOL, that's funny.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:06 PM

129 posts, read 243,750 times
Lol true also alot of the outskirts in vancouver get less precipitation

Old 02-24-2012, 09:08 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,015,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post

And it looks like someone made Portland's summers resemble a more typical Mediterranean climate: Portland, Oregon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is it the rainfall data or the sunshine that's been fiddled with?

PORTLAND/INT.,OR., UNITED STATES OF AMERICA Weather History and Climate Data

I see the rain data is a bit different, but maybe it's my ignorance that I can't pinpoint what exactly looks wrong with those stats.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:57 PM

3,187 posts, read 4,587,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
I am well aware of all of this. One thing that bothers me though is that the overall weather patterns and vegetation types are not at all similar to places with "typical" mediterranean climates. Some people have mentioned San Fransisco and Los Angeles. These areas tend to be rather dry, brown, and some parts of them are even classified as semi-arid. They (and other mediterranean areas) also have quite a large amount of scrubland with low-growing trees and scrappy, emaciated-looking bushes
The Trewartha system is a modified version of Koeppen which makes a larger distinction between the climates of southern California and the Pacific Northwest. It also tries to correct the anomaly of areas such as southern New England being in the same Cfa category as most of Florida.

Trewartha maps

Trewartha climate classification scheme - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather