Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2012, 09:12 PM

129 posts, read 243,856 times

Advertisements

yeah but its coldest months average is -2.9
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 04:13 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,003,060 times
Notice -2.9C is 0.1 degrees warmer than -3C, so it's Cfa. .

Old 03-18-2012, 10:11 AM

637 posts, read 1,027,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhitenorth View Post
I think that Amherstburg ontario should be considered subtropical
Amherstburg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Good find, greatwhitenorth

I'm trying to make sense of Candle's response ,
Amherstburg's coldest month has a mean temperature warmer than -3c
but even using Koppen's -3c minimum threshold, Candle would still considerate it Dfa (why because it's in Canada?)

Amherstburg,ON's 10c average annual temperature is interesting too.
I always thought in Canada only BC had places with 10c or more mean annual temps. Weather station at Vancouver harbour has an annual temperature of 11.1c, Powell River, BC annual average is near 11c too.
Warmest place (I could find) in January in Canada is Amphitrite Point,BC avg high 8.4c avg /avg low 3.9c
giving it a January mean temp of 6.1c (balmy by Canadian standards) FYI it is located on west coast of Vancouver Island near Tofino/Pacific Rim National Park area.

Last edited by burloak; 03-18-2012 at 10:26 AM..

Old 03-18-2012, 10:41 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,019,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burloak View Post
Good find, greatwhitenorth

I'm trying to make sense of Candle's response ,
Amherstburg's coldest month has a mean temperature warmer than -3c
but even using Koppen's -3c minimum threshold, Candle would still considerate it Dfa (why because it's in Canada?)

Amherstburg,ON's 10c average annual temperature is interesting too.
I always thought in Canada only BC had places with 10c or more mean annual temps. Weather station at Vancouver harbour has an annual temperature of 11.1c, Powell River, BC annual average is near 11c too.
Warmest place (I could find) in January in Canada is Amphitrite Point,BC avg high 8.4c avg /avg low 3.9c
giving it a January mean temp of 6.1c (balmy by Canadian standards) FYI it is located on west coast of Vancouver Island near Tofino/Pacific Rim National Park area.
Yeah, that's a nice find. I notice the source was the Weather Network. I haven't seen that station from Environment Canada so maybe it's not a government station (I also thought if it was, I would have heard of it, since there are well-known stats from Environment Canada on hottest/coldest/wettest/driest/(insert stat) etc. cities and usually Windsor makes the top category in Ontario in the warmth list).

Old 03-18-2012, 10:52 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Yeah, that's a nice find. I notice the source was the Weather Network. I haven't seen that station from Environment Canada so maybe it's not a government station (I also thought if it was, I would have heard of it, since there are well-known stats from Environment Canada on hottest/coldest/wettest/driest/(insert stat) etc. cities and usually Windsor makes the top category in Ontario in the warmth list).
Amherstburg is a relatively small place.. perhaps they overlooked it and just lumped it in with Windsor instead

Old 03-18-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Amherstburg is a relatively small place.. perhaps they overlooked it and just lumped it in with Windsor instead
I'm curious though that it seems the stats are quite different for such a short distance (that little bit of warmth that nudges it into the -3C average in coldest month territory). Windsor is still closer -4.5C, if I'm reading the stats right.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:18 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
Amherstburg is suspicious, just look at the climate data for Pelee Island, further south in the middle of the lake

Pelee, Ontario - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-18-2012, 03:38 PM

Hmm... I'm thinking maybe it was a new station (ie. doesn't have the 30 years of data that is used as convention).

If it took off relatively recently so that it contained mainly stats from the past decade (which was full of some warm years), that might explain why the numbers are so high for winter.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Hmm... I'm thinking maybe it was a new station (ie. doesn't have the 30 years of data that is used as convention).

If it took off relatively recently so that it contained mainly stats from the past decade (which was full of some warm years), that might explain why the numbers are so high for winter.
Wait, no the source does say it covers 30 years.

"The sampling period for this data covers 30 years."

From the Weather Network site.

Statistics: Amherstburg, ON, Canada - The Weather Network

Still odd and puzzling if true.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:32 PM

129 posts, read 243,856 times
Yeah its really weird but you could technically classify it as subtropical
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather