Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 12:45 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshie79 View Post
Differences do exist, thats why I feel it should be split. Id imagine your climate would be subcontinental too (note I haven't used the term "oceanic", as I dont believe its a full climate category). As opposed to a cool temperate climate which is Dunedin or Invercargill, or most of the rest of Britain.

(Temperate: all months between 0 and 18C but at least one over 10C. Warm temperate if coldest month over 8C, cool temperate if coldest below 8C but warmest over 13C, cold temperate if warmest below 13C).
My climate only has a 10C annual rang, which is very similar to Invercargill/Dunedin. I don't think that it could be considered even remotely Continental.

I think Oceanic type does exist, but primarily as a description of the overall cause and effect of the climate -exposure to westerlies, which increase winter warmth, while decreasing summer warmth (relative to similar latitudes), and the high degree to which polar fronts impact on the climate throughout the entire year (again, relative to latitude)

I think that describes the overall climate of Oceanic climates well. In terms of day to day weather, I would never use a classification when assessing a climate, just stats.

Last edited by Joe90; 06-15-2014 at 01:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
What's all three month's averages? The average of all three months in London is 22.6. I must have been looking at different data then. But really what is the difference between 23.5 and 23.8 after all.
23.2C for all 3 months.

I know it's not much of a difference, and London is warmer overall. My original comment was just in relation to the sub-continental climate, having a lower yearly range than my own oceanic climate.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:56 PM

607 posts, read 649,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
23.2C for all 3 months.

I know it's not much of a difference, and London is warmer overall. My original comment was just in relation to the sub-continental climate, having a lower yearly range than my own oceanic climate.
The reliably warm summers are one defining feature of the sub-continental compared to temperate ("oceanic") climates, as well as the temperature range. While it's true that some of the SC climates have lower ranges than some temperate ones, that's true of Koppen' s D versus C as well. A good indicator to me is vineyards- they do well in subcontinental climates but struggle in the cooler summers of temperate ones. And New Zealand red wine is amazing.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshie79 View Post
The reliably warm summers are one defining feature of the sub-continental compared to temperate ("oceanic") climates, as well as the temperature range. While it's true that some of the SC climates have lower ranges than some temperate ones, that's true of Koppen' s D versus C as well. A good indicator to me is vineyards- they do well in subcontinental climates but struggle in the cooler summers of temperate ones. And New Zealand red wine is amazing.
Yep, the wine isn't a bad drop.

I still think it makes more sense to regard them as Oceanic climates, as that best describes the climate throughout the year.

Using plants can be tricky. Here has vineyards, but also olive, avocado, citrus and guava orchards. How true would that be of other sub continental areas?

Any advantages that the warmer oceanic climates have, is from being closer to a subtropical climate, than to a continental one. Your SC group implies that a move towards a continental climate would mean a bigger range of crops able to be grown, whereas my climate would grow a smaller range, if it was more continental.

Last edited by Joe90; 06-15-2014 at 02:58 PM..

Old 06-16-2014, 03:22 PM

15 posts, read 20,707 times
Kuwait City should be classified from "hot desert climate" (BWh) to "Burning Hell". Seriously, the country's climate is unbelievable. It goes over 122F more frequently now than it used to do.I MISS SEATTLE!! BTW, I'm new here and I really think it's a rad forum.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:34 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemhaFeta View Post
Kuwait City should be classified from "hot desert climate" (BWh) to "Burning Hell". Seriously, the country's climate is unbelievable. It goes over 122F more frequently now than it used to do.I MISS SEATTLE!! BTW, I'm new here and I really think it's a rad forum.
If it gets to 122 more frequently, I would miss Houston weather let alone Seattle. That entire area of Basra to Dubai is nope for me. I like heat but not furnace heat.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:34 AM

15 posts, read 20,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
If it gets to 122 more frequently, I would miss Houston weather let alone Seattle. That entire area of Basra to Dubai is nope for me. I like heat but not furnace heat.
True, but Kuwait is the hottest country in the region. Dubai is usually cooler than Kuwait in several degrees.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:51 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,604,174 times
Over the past 30 years, Heathrow has seen the following climate types.

Cfa: 1
Cfb: 14
Csb: 14
Dfb: 1

We average out to Cfb, but on a year to year basis it's just as common to be Csb (the definition is the same as Cfb but with the wettest winter month having 3x the rainfall of the driest summer month, which must be below 30mm itself).

Old 03-23-2016, 02:29 AM

22 posts, read 19,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat lover View Post
NYC is very subtropical, just like Houston is very tropical in my view. There are allowable degrees of variance within each climate group. Houston is just another variation of a tropical climate, by a small degree, being only a few marks cooler than an equatorial climate. Even Anchorage and Oymyakon are group into the same subarctic category, despite one being 60 degrees colder , they are two totally different worlds apart. NYC is only 5 degrees cooler than Oklahoma City in the summer, hence subtropical. In the winter, Oklahoma city is much colder than NYC. Regarding to Houston, it is only slightly cooler than Honolulu during the winter, why would it not be tropical?
youre crazy and stupid if you say Houston is tropical, i live in tropical whole my life.. the true tropical at sea level (like Houston) temperature never below 20C(68F) its always above 25C(77F).. temperature are only between 24C(75F)-33C(92F) temperature can be below 68F but its very very very very rare.. so houston is so not tropic.... if its in highland (between 100m-800m(328ft.-2624ft.)) Temperature may below 20C(68F) but yet still above 15C(59F) and the true tropical never had below freezing and having snow.. if its snowing here, alot of tropical flora & fauna will die.. true tropical can grow banana trees... when i go to a highland (above 1000m(3280ft.) I never see a single banana tree because its too cool to plant that.. understand? In Asia there is place having tropical climate but also having dry season along with cooler temperature(usually 20 degrees above equator), it is Kaohsiung City (Aw climate) its have very short and warm winter and its nothing like Miami because it never get snow or temperature below 32F..

Old 03-23-2016, 03:30 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,296,223 times
I don't think Koppen is really satisfying, so rather than moving a place from a category to another I think it would be more interesting to create subcategories, especially for Cfa and Cfb climates.

For Europe especially, these classifications are poor, because it looks like most places are considered either as oceanic or as mediterranean, with a few patches of continental here and there,

In reality it gives a false impression of the climates there, especially from a Northern American point of view, because neither the oceanic and mediterranean climates of the US west coast are found in Europe (or very marginally) and also because what North Americans consider the posterchild "subtropical" climate does not really exist in Europe either.

On the other end Europe has many types of moderate continental climates, like most of central Europe, and other types of warmer oceanic climates, or mediterranean climates with a rather large amplitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather