Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate would you prefer?
I'd choose Monrovia, Liberia's climate... 17 35.42%
I'd choose Lima, Peru's climate... 31 64.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 10:03 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,797,011 times

Advertisements

Sub-Arctic and Oceanic climates get their fare share of beat-downs around here for being cloudy and rainy, so I thought it might be fun to pull out two gloomy cities in the tropics and see which people would rather live in.

Monrovia, Liberia is the type of place that place that really puts the monsoon in monsoon climate: Monrovia experiences 5140mm of rain per year, most of it in an extensive April to November rainy season. More rain falls in June in Monrovia than falls in Seattle, London, or Melbourne in an entire year. It gets 182 days of rain on average, and its sunshine hours come in at a gloomy average of 1662 hours.

In terms of temperature, Monrovia is less unusual and more in keeping with the tropics: year around it has lows in the low 20sC and highs in upper 20s to lower 30s. Its average annual temperature is 25.8C.

Monrovia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Monrovia, Liberia Climate Information - ClimateTemp.info, Making Sense of Average Monthly Temperature & Weather Data with Detailed Climate Graphs That Portray Average Rainfall & Sunshine Hours

Lima, Peru is, conversely, much more dry - it's a desert, in fact - yet surprisingly, considerably more cloudy. Lima is one of the driest cities in the world, drier than desert cities like my current home, Cairo. For comparison, Las Vegas gets more than eight times as much rain; Baghdad, more than nine times as much. It gets just 13mm per year, yet it gets just 1474 hours of sunlight and has a surprisingly high number of rainy days, 124 - more than half of Monrovia's! Monrovia's rainiest month has 24 rainy days; Lima's rainiest month has 20.

Temperature wise, Lima has similarities with highland subtropical climates and its odd relatives in the form of lukewarm coastal climates elsewhere. It hovers in the mid-teens in the winter and mid- to low-twenties come summer. The average annual temperature is 19.1C.

Lima - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Peru Climate Information - ClimateTemp.info, Making Sense of Average Monthly Temperature & Weather Data with Detailed Climate Graphs That Portray Average Rainfall & Sunshine Hours

So - which would you choose? Wet or dry? Rainforest or desert? Warm or cool?

These are both great climates for sun-haters, or perdition for sun bunnies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 10:57 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
Lima in a heartbeat.. despite very dry conditions.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:28 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times
Despite Monrovia having the warmer temps, I may just have to go with Lima on this one. Monrovia just gets too much rain...

Old 10-23-2011, 11:28 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,422,619 times
Monrovia for me, 181 days of rain is still 50 or so less than Buxton England, even though a lot more falls, and it's sunnier than here. It's warmer than Lima with I assume a lot of thunderstorms and I think storms and heavy rain is exciting so I went for Monrovia.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:38 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,368,638 times
With such low sunshine hours ...both are pretty bad climates.

The low sun hrs, monsoon, and overall wet cloudy counditions make Monrovia seem worse, but who knows. Lima, while dry, is misleading (even more cloud than Monrovia!!) and the temps seem to lack any real warmth except for few months. Both are pretty bad and not anywhere I would want to live. My cut-off for low sun climates in 2200 hours (lol). Still, would like to vist both regions.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:16 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,603,228 times
Calling Lima's precip. events "rainy days" is pushing it a bit ("In Lima, Senor, the rain is not wet").

Old 10-23-2011, 12:51 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,672,495 times
Both are bad, no sun, not for me.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:00 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,542,658 times
Subarctic climates get beat down a lot on this forum? I thought it was the exact opposite. Monrovia, for me, rainfall looks insane! Who needs winter with a wet season like that? I wouldn't want to spend one day in Lima...

Old 10-23-2011, 02:13 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,748,189 times
I had to choose Lima, because Monrovia is just too hot, especially considering what I imagine is pretty awful humidity and what I imagine would be a downright inconvenient amount of rainfall. However, Lima looks pretty awful as well, and I don't think I could stand that little precipitation. The cloudiness of either isn't really an issue for me, since other aspects of each climate would be far worse, IMO.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:44 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,533,552 times
LIMA, by far.

Despite both being unsunny, Lima has mild, pleasant temperatures, while Moldavia is very hot and rainy, ouch. Lima, despite being unsunny and lacking variation, is not that bad actually, cause the range of temperatures is a pleasant one, not very hot or cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather