Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 12:40 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,261,376 times

Advertisements

I would feel most comfortable with at least 2,800 hours. I can tolerate anything down to around 2,500 but I have high sunshine demands . I've spent too much of my time in cloudy climates which I know I definitely do not prefer. Long stretches of overcast days are least optimal for me.

Anything over 3,200+ would be terrific. However I am not sure how I'd find a very high level of sunshine (3,500+) and possibly could yearn for some occasional cloud for variety.

I am less bothered by temperatures though and find my current location's temp range very good most of the time (although would prefer a bit more heat in winter).

For me sunshine is a warming feeling and I appreciate the added colour it brings, particularly in the early mornings and evenings (the low evening light increases the colour range and that is when I tend to take a lot of photos!).

Interesting discussion and it appears we all have differing requirements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 12:55 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,600,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
I would feel most comfortable with at least 2,800 hours. I can tolerate anything down to around 2,500 but I have high sunshine demands . I've spent too much of my time in cloudy climates which I know I definitely do not prefer. Long stretches of overcast days are least optimal for me.

Anything over 3,200+ would be terrific. However I am not sure how I'd find a very high level of sunshine (3,500+) and possibly could yearn for some occasional cloud for variety.

I am less bothered by temperatures though and find my current location's temp range very good most of the time (although would prefer a bit more heat in winter).

For me sunshine is a warming feeling and I appreciate the added colour it brings, particularly in the early mornings and evenings (the low evening light increases the colour range and that is when I tend to take a lot of photos!).

Interesting discussion and it appears we all have differing requirements.
Good points. Within the confines of my small oceanic country it's simple - the more the better (sunniest parts are at the low end of Good, cloudiest at the low end of Poor in my system).

Old 11-11-2011, 12:56 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,656,199 times
Funny how so many of you have a minimum tolerance so far above what I'd consider normal or even what I'd consider to be too much! When I've seen long stretches of sunshine I've got bored of it, but that's because I've got the English thing of feeling you have to make the most of every possible ray - would be interesting to see what I'd think of it if I lived somewhere you could take the sun for granted.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:35 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Funny how so many of you have a minimum tolerance so far above what I'd consider normal or even what I'd consider to be too much! When I've seen long stretches of sunshine I've got bored of it, but that's because I've got the English thing of feeling you have to make the most of every possible ray - would be interesting to see what I'd think of it if I lived somewhere you could take the sun for granted.
I lived in London for a (admittedly short) while and I thought the weather was lovely! Although a bit too warm during the summer months lol.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:45 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I'm used to the opposite; I feel it's a nuisance to have to carefully plan your activities around the sun. I do here a bit, but it's not difficult.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:45 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,069,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I'd say less than 500 hours of sunlight would make me happy.
Are you a vampire or something? Do you have some medical condition that requires you avoid sunlight?

There is nowhere on earth that would be gloomy enough for you, to my knowledge. The very cloudiest places would probably be around the 600 hr mark (Campbell Island). The cloudiest inhabited places would be around 700 hrs (Grytviken).

Old 11-11-2011, 01:46 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Are you a vampire or something? Do you have some medical condition that requires you avoid sunlight?

There is nowhere on earth that would be gloomy enough for you, to my knowledge. The very cloudiest places would probably be around the 600 hr mark (Campbell Island). The cloudiest inhabited places would be around 700 hrs (Grytviken).
What is it with you and calling people vampires? Everyone has different preferences. Get over it.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
I lived in London for a (admittedly short) while and I thought the weather was lovely! Although a bit too warm during the summer months lol.
Funny, because I lived in Galicia (Vigo) for a (admittedly short) while and I enjoyed the weather there It felt strange: a clear Atlantic mode with days on end of very heavy squally showers, constant grey skies, wind, and almost no diurnal range and then a sudden switch to continental mode with warm temperatures (20-25C every day even in March, felt summerlike particularly with your later sunsets) and clear, calm, sunny skies that just went on and on for weeks, and then you wake up to mist and grey again and the cycle repeats. You've got a decent range of microclimates within quite a small geographic area over there, ditto an impressive variety of terrain. Plus I like regions that insist that they are different to elsewhere else and want to do things their way

Old 11-11-2011, 02:08 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,069,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
What is it with you and calling people vampires? Everyone has different preferences. Get over it.
Different preferences are all very well, but when someone says they want no more than 500 sunshine hours per year (a level of extreme gloominess found nowhere on earth, to my knowledge) that indicates that they pretty much never want to see the sun at all. So I have to wonder as to their reasons for this professed preference.

I understand there are certain medical conditions that may be aggravated by sunlight. I can think of no other reason for desiring such low sunshine hours. How can anyone hate the sun that much? It's kind of like how many people here claim to love temps of -40 or lower or 120 F heat indices -- it's hard to take that kind of thing seriously.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:18 PM

^^^ Lol some people on here are so easily wound up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather