Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: rate my ideal climate
A 6 15.38%
B 4 10.26%
C 3 7.69%
D 8 20.51%
F 18 46.15%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 10:59 AM

5,014 posts, read 7,220,428 times

Advertisements

I'll give it a B for climate but I'm sure I'd die of boredom. Interesting that it's located west of Hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 01:14 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
Let's all celebrate and toast to me finding my ideal climate finally. The place is Cold Bay, a town in the Alaskan Aleutians chains. This place is known to be the most cloudiest place in America, and possibly the world. There is an average of 304-310 days of overcast skies a year. The other 50 days that have possible sunshine are quite comfortable, based on the temperature average. The summer is just warm enough for any kinds of outdoor activities. I don't know about the sunshine stats but I hope there are less than 600 annual hours. Seeing how dark and overcast the sky is makes me cry in blissful joy. How nice is this? What does everyone think about this climate?
Cold Bay, Alaska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A. You might have a neighbor named Cambium now. lol

The daylight hours might be a deal breaker for me. I'd hate it to be 20hours of darkness most of the year..

What are the snow totals like there and how is the sunrise/sunset times?

Old 11-12-2011, 01:18 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Snowfall is 61 inches; not a huge amount more than where I live (46 inches). Much of the winter precipitation must be in the form of rain.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:38 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,798,681 times
Why do you dislike sun so much?

You don't have to like it, I'm just curious.
I'm sure my cold-sensitivity sounds interesting, however funny, to cold-lovers.

I'd rate it -Z.
With a record high of 78 F/26C,
I could wear a hooded sweatshirt on the hottest day in history,
and still not break a sweat...
perhaps while drinking a cup of hot tea too.

I'm not bashing your dream,
I'm happy you found yours,
but if you wanted to know my opinion,
I hope I at least made it entertaining for you to read.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:57 AM

914 posts, read 2,103,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Why do you dislike sun so much?

You don't have to like it, I'm just curious.
I'm sure my cold-sensitivity sounds interesting, however funny, to cold-lovers.

I'd rate it -Z.
With a record high of 78 F/26C,
I could wear a hooded sweatshirt on the hottest day in history,
and still not break a sweat...
perhaps while drinking a cup of hot tea too.

I'm not bashing your dream,
I'm happy you found yours,
but if you wanted to know my opinion,
I hope I at least made it entertaining for you to read.
A bright sun forces me to wear sunglasses and I don't like to wear them, nor sweat like a pig in them. Also, I don't like my skin getting tanned-major reason. Why do you dislike comfortably cool weather so much? what are you, a wimp ...I'm not bashing your "inability" to put on more layers or wear gloves, I just hope that my post was also entertaining to read.
- Are you a poet by occupation? Why do you type your all posts like you write poems

Old 11-13-2011, 07:19 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,798,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
A bright sun forces me to wear sunglasses and I don't like to wear them, nor sweat like a pig in them. Also, I don't like my skin getting tanned-major reason. Why do you dislike comfortably cool weather so much? what are you, a wimp ...I'm not bashing your "inability" to put on more layers or wear gloves, I just hope that my post was also entertaining to read.
- Are you a poet by occupation? Why do you type your all posts like you write poems
I can handle bright sun without sunglasses,
though I have a mild dislike for bright sun and no sunglasses.

You don't like getting tanned?... Aethetics (appearance) or other reasons?
Myself, I wouldn't complain to have ebony skin; given my climate preferences that would be convenient.

If you don't have any medical conditions making your eyes more painful in sun,
or uncommon skin conditions making it more UV sensitive...

If those are your main beefs with weather
then you are INCREDIBLY weather-insensitive and I'm very impressed.

If nothing happened at all to me in temps too cold to sweat, I might also hate heat.
But dozens of physical changes happen to me when I get cold, so I'm not that lucky.
In the heat, only two things happen to me; "thirst" and "oily skin"
For me it is so much easier having only two physical challenges at a time.

I try to make my posts easy to read.
If someone wants to make a quote on a certain idea of mine, I make it easy for them.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:10 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,557,510 times
Haha, I also noticed the odd "poetic" way you write, but it never bothered me. I think it makes it easier to follow your succession of ideas. (It's the kind of things you notice about posters, just like always writing "weather climate" instead of weather or climate, never got why )

As for climatic preferences, it is interesting that you two discuss why you love certain types of weather.

As for myself, there are two things I hate about winter, and one of them is often overlooked,

First, the discomfort of cold temps, just like ColdCanadian, deneb, and million of others, I just feel like cold temps are devoid of purpose except making you shiver and forcing you to wear layers of uncomfortable clothing,
whereas, just like CC again, and this time, unlike many people, I can perfectly withstand all the issues of warm temps and don't mind sweating (I just need to drink a lot), and I even truly enjoy 27-33°C temps

And second, which is equally important, what I hate about winter is not about comfort but about mood, atmosphere : the lack of light, grey skies, short days, bare trees are all highly depressing for yours truly.

I would prefer, with no hesitation, a -3°C day with pure white snow everywhere, a bright sun shining in a blue sky, and daylight til 7pm (such as in a cold climate in March), over a cloudy, 10°C December day in London.

Overall, I appreciate weather when it's at least bright or warm, and love when it's both, but start being seriously affected when it's neither, hence my love for tropical/equatorial climates, where you have warmth guaranteed, permanent greenery, never short days and very often bright light as a bonus.

In your case, Kaul, your dream climate would be hell on earth for me.

So, F, whether it's Cold Bay or Nome (the thing I like about Nome though is its very late solar noons)

Old 11-13-2011, 12:17 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,462,023 times
I'd have a severe drinking problem if I was forced to live in such a climate. No chance of ever feeling warm outside. Near permanent depressing gray skies. Terrible climate. F.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:08 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,359,236 times
^^ You misread his post, he was saying you are weather insensitive meaning that you can handle all kinds of weather, basically calling you tough pretty much. So he complimented you, and you insulted him as a response. lol

And I rate this a C, way too mild in winter.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:27 PM

914 posts, read 2,103,405 times
^^ Ooops...sorry ColdCanadian I misinterpreted the word "insensitive" lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather