Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you prefer?
Miami 53 60.92%
Brownsville 34 39.08%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 04:16 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times

Advertisements

A typical winter day in Miami is my idea of a "wet dream"
for somewhere that "isn't supposed to be tropical."

Brownsville's winters look ugly compared to Miami's.
30-35% chance of sun in the cloudiest, coolest month?
Where's the barf icon.

Miami's summers would be hot enough,
while Brownsville's summers would probably be a touch overkill.

There really is no comparison, imho
except for people who actually want cloud and chilly temps.

Classifying both cities as sub-tropical, here is my rating for their seasons:

Winter:

Miami * A+
Brownsville * B- (looses severely for such a cloudy winter season, uncharacteristic of its latitude)

Spring:

Miami * A++++
Brownsville * A+ (wilder temp swings, probably less sunshine)

Summer:

Miami * A+ (probably a touch more humid and rainy than optimum, but still quite sunny)
Brownsville * A- (perfect sunshine hours, the heat could get tedious at times)

Autumn:

Miami * A+++ (rainier and more humid than Spring?)
Brownville * A++ (probably the only closely matching season, although November probably has stronger cold fronts)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 04:18 AM

I would pick Brownsville over Savannah GA due to milder winters
but anywhere in coastal Florida is probably better, being nearly as mild and sunnier in winter.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:45 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post

Where's the barf icon.

Winter:

Miami * A+
Brownsville * B- (looses severely for such a cloudy winter season, uncharacteristic of its latitude)

Spring:

Miami * A++++

Summer:

Miami * A+ (probably a touch more humid and rainy than optimum, but still quite sunny)

Autumn:

Brownville * A++ (probably the only closely matching season, although November probably has stronger cold fronts)
"chilly temps", seriously? Bit of an exaggeration don't you think. A Jan avg high/low of 71/52F as "chilly". Maybe if you are from the hottest tropics. If that is chilly then some of the warmest bits of the Med are downright cold in winter. Seville, Spain has Jan tems of 61/41. Brownsville is actually a tad warmer than Brisbane. Brisbane has July temps of 71/50F. There are quite a few places in the UK that don't crack 70F for an avg summer high. That would classify as a chilly summer, but not winter, imo.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:11 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,539,436 times
Quote:
but anywhere in coastal Florida is probably better, being nearly as mild and sunnier in winter.
Brownsville isn't Jacksonville...

Old 12-02-2011, 02:18 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
"chilly temps", seriously? Bit of an exaggeration don't you think. A Jan avg high/low of 71/52F as "chilly". Maybe if you are from the hottest tropics. If that is chilly then some of the warmest bits of the Med are downright cold in winter. Seville, Spain has Jan tems of 61/41. Brownsville is actually a tad warmer than Brisbane. Brisbane has July temps of 71/50F. There are quite a few places in the UK that don't crack 70F for an avg summer high. That would classify as a chilly summer, but not winter, imo.
Sometimes I think ColdCanadian has some kinda medical condition if he thinks 70 degrees is chilly. One person who I knew who was from Accra, Ghana (5°N) certaintly didn't think 70 degrees was chilly after several years living here. Course, I also think he's jsut being extremely nitpicky, being the Canadian that he is with alllll those years of subzero temps

Old 12-02-2011, 02:28 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:

Where's the barf icon.

Winter:

Miami * A+

Spring:

Miami * A++++

Summer:

Autumn:

Did you really say that. I never thought I'd hear that from you.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:41 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Sometimes I think ColdCanadian has some kinda medical condition if he thinks 70 degrees is chilly. One person who I knew who was from Accra, Ghana (5°N) certaintly didn't think 70 degrees was chilly after several years living here. Course, I also think he's jsut being extremely nitpicky, being the Canadian that he is with alllll those years of subzero temps
70°F is chilly if you, umm, have no clothes on. In fact, I woke up one summer night from 70°F when I slept with no shirt, sheet and had the fan running.

The fact that people from tropical countries consider 70°F cool before several years of living here is probably a sign that there's something cold about it. I remember meeting someone from Miami (and of Northern European heritage) who thought 70°F was chilly.

Perhaps to many people from tropical countries (and ColdCanadian) chilly is anything that's not beach weather.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:47 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
70°F is chilly if you, umm, have no clothes on. In fact, I woke up one summer night from 70°F when I slept with no shirt, sheet and had the fan running.

The fact that people from tropical countries consider 70°F cool before several years of living here is probably a sign that there's something cold about it. I remember meeting someone from Miami (and of Northern European heritage) who thought 70°F was chilly.

Perhaps to many people from tropical countries (and ColdCanadian) chilly is anything that's not beach weather.
That's true. Humans cannot properly survive without any clothes or tech when the temp is under 70°F. It's true we are an equatorial species that is adapted to live in Aw, Am, and Af climates, and tropical savannah climates. But I was that way before. I'm from the tropics too, if you don't already know. I used to think 70°F was a bit on the chilly side and needed a jacket, but after several years of living in PA, 70°F is now comfortable. I feel neither hot or cold when it's 70 outside

Old 12-02-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Did you really say that. I never thought I'd hear that from you.
I love hot weather on my days off. But working in it sometimes isn't fun. (sometimes it is though )

Old 12-02-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Brownsville isn't Jacksonville...
Jacksonville averages about 60% chance of sun in winter.
Brownsville averages a very dismal 35% chance of sun.

Couple Jacksonville's sunshine patterns to monthly averages like 65/46-48 F
as well as remembering that windspeeds in Florida are usually quite calm,
then Jacksonville's winter would be quite pleasant.
Sunshine would make it cheerful too.

Savannah is more like 63/41 F, so I would probably hate most winter mornings.
Jacksonville's averages would mean that there'd be many winter mornings I wouldn't hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather