Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 11:46 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,979,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Where in Turkey do you live? Freezing rain seems to be rare in drier climates.
Freezing rain is more common in places that are susceptible to inversions or locations that are further south. More northern areas don't see freezing rain all that often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 12:57 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,776,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
Freezing rain is more common in places that are susceptible to inversions or locations that are further south. More northern areas don't see freezing rain all that often.
Not really, Freezing rain is just rare in the UK (I'm assuming that's what you're considering to be a "northern area") because it's a maritime climate moderated by an extremely warm ocean. Northern continental areas see freezing rain on a relatively regular basis because the climate allows inversions to form much more easily, and with precip around rather than only on clear dry nights. Your claim that southern areas see more freezing rain makes little to no sense, the only thing necessary for freezing rain is the collision of warm and cold air masses regardless of latitude.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:01 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times
Places that see ice storms (freezing rain, sleet, etc) most often are "in between" states (states not known for cold winters, but not known for being warm either) like OK, KS, MO, KY, etc.....the I-44 corridor from OKC to St. Louis is well known for its ice storms. Places further north are often too cold, doesn't mean it doesn't happen in those places, but less often or more often in late fall or early spring.

This region often has a shallow layer of cold air at the surface from the north being overridden in middle and upper layers with warm, moist air from the Gulf - perfect recipe for ice storms.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:43 PM

2,460 posts, read 1,356,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Where in Turkey do you live? Freezing rain seems to be rare in drier climates.
İzmit, Oceanic Climate.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 422 times
1994 here in Baltimore, MD official reporting station BWI airport observed 9 straight hours of FRZ Rain with a temperature of 18. It was a mess but once in a lifetime thing to see. Everything and I mean everything was covered in ice about 3-5in thick

Old 06-28-2019, 06:06 AM

388 posts, read 212,977 times
Freezing rain is chiefly unheard-of round here; once it plummets below 2° C, it snows—it can snow occasionally warmer than 3° C, too. This is owing to the dry upper air of South-Westerly polar fronts up my way (i.e. Western NSW).

Old 06-29-2019, 12:03 PM

233 posts, read 133,656 times
On December 26, 2016 it was -10C / 14F with freezing rain in Ottawa at 12pm. We had a strong low pressure from the south with deep moist air and it hit 10C / 50F in Toronto but the warm front stayed south of Ottawa most of the day. It finally reached Ottawa in the late evening hours and the temperature at midnight was almost 30F warmer, at 6C / 42F.

Old 10-14-2020, 12:49 PM

196 posts, read 137,178 times
NYC area here. The nor'easters that we get usually start out with a quick period of freezing rain before transitioning to rain. The Mid-Atlantic as a whole is in a unique geography where the cold Canadian air is in place and then mild Atlantic air overrides it, creating brief periods of freezing rain. Then it shifts to plain rain as the maritime air takes over. Areas north of NYC like Westchester also tap into the warm ocean air but start out colder, so they see a bit more freezing rain and I have seen it there at 25ºF in rare cases. Generally though, the ocean moderates the area too much for freezing rain to last many hours.

Old 10-14-2020, 01:40 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
Thank goodness for that. We have had freezing rain 4-5 times since we have lived here (26 years) and it's nasty. Usually it's been at the end of a cold spell after a snow. In other words, heavy snow, then clear but colder (low 20's F) and then clouds come back but a warmer front, so raining but freezes when it hits the ground. One time we had been snowed in for a few days and I finally put on chains to get down the hills the next morning. I got up and dressed, went outside and my SUV was encased in 1/2" of ice, couldn't even open the doors. That was before remote starting was invented, but the roads had 1/2" or more of ice on top of the packed snow so no way I would have driven on that anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather