Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 12:44 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
They were dead on for your area. I'm not talking about the 1 or 2 temp maps I posted which showed teens. I'm talking about the carve out of the trough into the east which is making the TN valley the heart of it and Northeast just seasonable. Pretty accurate from a week out.

If you're looking for details to be exact from 5-10 days out we'll always be disappointed. The general scope of the cooler weather was on target and not over.

The trough just got in place yesterday so you shouldn't see above normal temps from now on until next week at least.

More importantly this type of setup always makes for interesting weather
No they were not. The temps were forecasted to be in the low 20's for the morning low on Sunday morning. Guess what the temp is right now at 2:30am? It is 33F and overcast. We will not get anywhere near their forecasted temps. It really is no big deal and not anywhere as dramatic as you make it out to seem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 01:04 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,879,512 times
Yesterday's blizzard brought about 15 cm of fresh snow, nicely covering up the dirty old snow from weeks before. There have been disappointingly few snowstorms this winter, this was a nice change.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:38 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Cloudy again.

Lets hope palm beach is hot we are hoping to head out again in july. Fed up of this crap. I will be buying 20 tubs of coolwhip and shoving then in my suitcase.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:39 AM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Spoke to some relatives last night and they said heavy coats were being worn down in Florida. I bet you those coats will be worn this morning too.

March 3, 2013 morning temps. Normal lows are mid 50s Florida and 40s elsewhere and 30s north of the southern Gulf states..

Random pick on the map Little Rock Arkansas. Normal low is 39, they are at 25 degrees. And these arent the actual lows (but close to it)

Old 03-03-2013, 04:53 AM

March 5-6-7, 2013 Major Winter Storm Update:

Well, it's almost a lock now. Consistancy isnt changing much that the storm will stay south of NYC and north of South Carolina. Virginia seems to be the target for the bullseye. Sure we can get a shift north next couple days, but consensus continues to show this type of snowfall in these areas.

Widespread 12-18" over Virginia and a small area of 18-24". Also note... mountains will have higher snow ratios so its possible they see 2 feet+ on the summits.

This is based on the latest Euro model

Starts Tuesday afternoon in the Ohio valley and then Wednesday into the Mid Atlantic

Old 03-03-2013, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
No they were not. The temps were forecasted to be in the low 20's for the morning low on Sunday morning. Guess what the temp is right now at 2:30am? It is 33F and overcast. We will not get anywhere near their forecasted temps. It really is no big deal and not anywhere as dramatic as you make it out to seem.
Probably that heat island effect models cant pick up. Low at PHL was 30 last night. Meanwhile dropped to 20s around them in NJ, PA, MD. Baltimore didnt. Big city effect.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:03 AM

Something tom77falcons needs to see..

Euro from over a week ago... 20s to gulf states, 30s into Florida. Bingo. Dead on. If you want every single location to be accurate you'll always be dissapointed. I assure you that.

Models were dead on in this cold snap. Proof is in the pudding. Take a look

Old 03-03-2013, 05:10 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
Quote:

Well, it's almost a lock now. Consistancy isnt changing much that the storm will stay south of NYC and north of South Carolina. Virginia seems to be the target for the bullseye. Sure we can get a shift north next couple days, but consensus continues to show this type of snowfall in these areas.

Widespread 12-18" over Virginia and a small area of 18-24". Also note... mountains will have higher snow ratios so its possible they see 2 feet+ on the summits.
Not looking forward to that much snow at all here in Sw VA. At least I've got a couple of days for prep since we'd likely lose power too. That means no water from the well, no heat from the heat pump, etc. So water jugs will get refilled, kerosene will get purchased, the Kindle will get fully charged up and plenty of wood will be brought in to the house. May have to cancel on the plans for trapping and fixing a bunch of feral cats since they would be coming back from the clinic 30 miles away on Wednesday.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:16 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times
Quote:
Spoke to some relatives last night and they said heavy coats were being worn down in Florida. I bet you those coats will be worn this morning too.
Heavy coats when it's 30's and 40's? If your relatives are most comfortable in heavy coats at those temperatures, I certainly wouldn't argue with them, but it always strikes me as strange, considering that I wear a vest at such temperatures (at most; if it's sunny and calm I wear a short sleeve shirt only). Of course this is assuming dry weather - blizzard conditions with 35F is vastly different from 35F and sunny.

Quote:

There is fairly strong model consensus for a big snow on the I-81 corridor, with most models showing a bulls-eye near Stuart's Draft, Virginia. Every model has at least 12 inches in the bulls-eye, with about half of the models showing 18-26 inches. Since it is 4 days out and since it is an upper-level low (with more uncertainty than a typical system), it isn't a sure thing, but when the models have this kind of consensus you'd better believe it.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:41 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:

This is based on the latest Euro model

Starts Tuesday afternoon in the Ohio valley and then Wednesday into the Mid Atlantic
Whats the point in getting all that snow when it will melt the next day? Waste of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather