Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:15 PM

414 posts, read 798,498 times

Advertisements

Two that spring to mind:

* Singapore
* The Gambia (highest point just 53 m according to The Gambia Map and Basic Facts)

Both of these are tropical with no highland areas to mitigate heat. Contrast this with a place like Sri Lanka, very tropical but has the oasis of Nuwara Eliya. Similarly, Saudi Arabia has a few surprisingly tolerable areas like Abha despite being a truly hot country.

At the other end of the scale, Greenland has no real warm areas but Nuuk is more tolerable to me than a perpetualy hot and humid climate like Singapore. Since Antarctica isn't a country in the independent "nation state" sense, we can leave it out of this discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 09:17 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
Singapore
The Gambia
Sierra Leone
Brunei

Old 05-01-2012, 09:33 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times
Finland, Sweden, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus, Greenland, Mongolia and Kazakhstan are countries that come to mind that get an F from me because they have no locations to my knowledge where all 12 months of the year average above freezing.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:35 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,533,552 times
Yes, singapore!

and probably those dunno what to put here mentioned, too.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:48 PM

3,187 posts, read 4,590,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxnerd86 View Post

At the other end of the scale, Greenland has no real warm areas but Nuuk is more tolerable to me than a perpetualy hot and humid climate like Singapore. Since Antarctica isn't a country in the independent "nation state" sense, we can leave it out of this discussion.
Greenland is what immediately sprung to my mind when I saw the thread title. Tropical and perpetually hot climates won't usually get an F from me as they are often accompanied by plentiful rainfall and storms and I think I'd prefer year-round heat than cold (though neither is desirable to me).

Qaqortoq in southern Greenland is possibly the mildest of all locations there but is still far too cold, particularly in the summer for me. I can't think of any other country that I'd give an F for in it's entirety, Faroe Islands could come close for meek temps/cloudiness.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:50 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,561,148 times
Definitely Chad and Niger.

Those countries have far worse climates than Singapore.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:55 PM

414 posts, read 798,498 times
According to this map there are a few elevated areas in Chad, and even a few above 3000 m!

Chad Physical Map | Physical Map of Chad

These northern peaks would be very dry though being in the Sahara, but at least they would be relatively cool.

Niger also has a mountain, Mount Greboun, 1944 m ASL. Not enough height to totally escape the heat, but some months would be OK:

Physical Map of Niger

So Chad and Niger would escape an F because of these highland areas.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:17 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,467,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
Definitely Chad and Niger.

Those countries have far worse climates than Singapore.
Yep. The entire Sahel area is just horrible.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:24 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,603,228 times
Given the range of subjective preferences on this forum, I see no point in even examining the responses.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:27 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,797,011 times
This is tricky for me, but I'm going to say no. The very closest true nation to being F all over is Iceland, but I'll grudgingly give the south-west coast a D- for lack of true wintry harshness. If one includes dependencies then Greenland is on my F list.

However, there are quite a few countries that fail to escape a D:

In terms of cold, all of Scandinavia, the Baltics, Poland, Belarus, Moldova, the alpine states of Andorra and Lichtenstein, Kazakhstan, and Mongolia fail to have any climate pleasant enough for me to consider it a C climate.

In terms of heat, the only ones I can safely rule out are Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain, and the UAE, as hot places tend to have upland cities that reach into my comfort zone. But I'd add Djibuti, Sudan, South Sudan, Chad, Niger, Birkina Faso, and Mali, as they have, as far as I've seen, no climate to offer without a Hellish hot season. ( And given I'm a heat lover, feel free, heat loathers, to add those countries to your list ). The Sahel is, in my view, the very worst of the tropics.

Actually, given the sweat seasons of places inland, I'm kind of surprised poor Gambia got singled out. Banjul has nothing on places like Niamey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather