Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 12:14 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times

Advertisements

Is this considered weather??? I don't know but it goes along with my love of the autumn season. I used to think that the harvest moon was in October, but found out it is whichever moon is closest to the autumnal equinox...which is usually September's. Does anyone else love a full moon like I do? My husband thinks I'm nuts but I get a kick out of them!

Anyway, shine on, harvest moon or something like that....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 12:48 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Kay, sure it's considered to be weather! Well, they say the moon affects the tides and other weather related things anyway. I like the full moon, too and the Harvest Moon is always so bright with it's reddish-orange hue. I remember when I was little my parents (who were farmers) always commenting on the Harvest Moon. It seemed to mean a lot more to people back in those days.

The only bad thing is~a full moon actually does seem to affect people. When I was 21, I worked in a bar and we dreaded those nights. People actually were rowdier and there were more barfights on full moon nights.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Kay, sure it's considered to be weather! Well, they say the moon affects the tides and other weather related things anyway. I like the full moon, too and the Harvest Moon is always so bright with it's reddish-orange hue. I remember when I was little my parents (who were farmers) always commenting on the Harvest Moon. It seemed to mean a lot more to people back in those days.

The only bad thing is~a full moon actually does seem to affect people. When I was 21, I worked in a bar and we dreaded those nights. People actually were rowdier and there were more barfights on full moon nights.
I have worked in a hospital and a bank. People always said "well, it must be a full moon...." Of course, we often said that when it wasn't a full moon too!

Old 09-27-2007, 09:16 AM

1,355 posts, read 4,184,660 times
Wow, no wonder it seemed so bright last night. I was outside on my driveway laying down and listening to my iPod watching the moon last night. I didn't even know it was last night, well...that's a nice surprise.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:02 AM

Not sure what it looked like in other parts of the country, but I was disappointed. It looked SO hazy and the moon wasn't a bright orange and beautiful like it has often been. Maybe it's next month's full moon that looks nicer here cause I was kind of bummed.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:02 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,665,537 times
I just love it when the moon is all big and bright. I walk my dog each night and get to see it in all it's splender. Harvest Moon ya say???? Hmm, dunno what it was, but was pure beautiful.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:06 AM

I'm not sure where it originated either, but I'll venture to guess it at one time had something to do with the actual harvest. I suppose it happens at different times in other parts of the country, but the farmers are about done harvesting here. Mainly what's left in the fields is corn right now.

Before there was such huge machinery, there were many farmers so that MIGHT be what gave it this name. But who knows, I could be WAY off base.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:11 AM

Default Bummed out about the moon...

Quote:
Not sure what it looked like in other parts of the country, but I was disappointed. It looked SO hazy and the moon wasn't a bright orange and beautiful like it has often been. Maybe it's next month's full moon that looks nicer here cause I was kind of bummed.
Well, I'm bummed because after posting this thread, I forgot to go out and look at it at all!

Maybe it will be better where you are tonight, Jammie! I think the harvest moon is supposed to be the brightest and it is definitely September's this year. (Something like one in four years it will be in October.) Whichever is closest to the autumnal equinox. It also may depend on what time of evening you looked at it. Isn't it bigger and brighter earlier because of where it is on the horizon???

Old 09-27-2007, 11:45 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
I'm not sure where it originated either, but I'll venture to guess it at one time had something to do with the actual harvest. I suppose it happens at different times in other parts of the country, but the farmers are about done harvesting here. Mainly what's left in the fields is corn right now.

Before there was such huge machinery, there were many farmers so that MIGHT be what gave it this name. But who knows, I could be WAY off base.
The Harvest moon is when the moon is barely on the Eastern Horizon the same time the Sun is setting in the west. this causes the moon to be larger, or brighter. The Harvest moon is actually about 4 days long and occurs in Sept which is normally during harvest season. This gave the farmers a few days of "extra light" so they could work longer bringing in their harvest. Hence the name, "Havest Moon."

Old 09-27-2007, 09:20 PM

Alright~my guess was CLOSE.

The moon is absolutely beautiful here tonight! Much nicer and more visible that it was last night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather