Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2012, 05:10 PM

83,566 posts, read 75,505,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Those thunderstorm cells look much smaller than usual.
Yup. Which is why I'm impressed at the amount and rate of rain that is falling with them. My gutters just overflowed from a.small cell like that.

Bridgeport airport reporting almost 4" of rain today, a whole months worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 07:40 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,243,016 times
Very thick fog at the top of the mountain as I drove home tonight.

I'll take some pictures of the foliage tomorrow.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:40 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,565,355 times
Eugene has officially recorded only 0.02" of precipitation for the entire month of September...0.03" in August, 0.16" in July, and 2.24" in June which was the last significantly wet month in the PNW.

And there is no rain in sight.

Portland did not get any rain at all in August and has only received 0.04" for September.

I'm enjoying the dry and sunny weather though after a cold and VERY wet Spring.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/climate/mont...=pqr&year=2012

September has had an average high of 80F so far...pretty remarkable.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:50 AM

POSTED ON SEPTEMBER 22ND.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
3 Points on the latest GFS.
Then I see it has this. Its long range but I'm loving the looks of things for the past 3 weeks now. This is phenominal to see if you're a winter fan. Even if theres no snow out of this, this setup is just interesting.

Say hello to the Sub Jet and the Northern Jet. It was nowhere to be seen last year.
You have to admit, the GFS is pretty darn good with this one from 2 weeks out! Like I always say, watch the consistancy and dont focus on timing, strength, and placement of the low. In this case it could be pretty close.

Latest GFS shows accumulating snows across the U.S. Its showing up to half foot in northern MN and Montana. The left map is just for that 6hr time frame. Im not sure if it factors in melt so I'm going to say at least 2-3" accumulates there October 4th..

Then HR276 October 10th it shows snow to the northern Pan Handle of Texas. LOL! That I'm not sure I believe...
But like I been saying, the "pattern" is flat out interesting if your a winter fan. Lets see what happens.

I believe Eastern Ontario near the Great Lakes will see over a foot of snow.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:55 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,904,417 times
Looks like October isnt going to be any warmer than September.

-3c uppers at the end of next week and 1000m freezing level. This would mean that snow may possibly fall to around maybe 500m at the very heavy showers. -5c uppers actually getting into scotland for a time.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Its highly unlikely that i'll see snow but maybe the higher hills will see some. I wonder if we will see early snow cover this year? It would be nice.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:46 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,009,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
You have to admit, the GFS is pretty darn good with this one from 2 weeks out! Like I always say, watch the consistancy and dont focus on timing, strength, and placement of the low. In this case it could be pretty close.
Exactly. If you interpret it correctly, the performance from 2+ weeks out can be surprisingly good. The October Blizzard last year was sniffed out more than two weeks ahead, though the details were really sketchy until we were 1 week out.

Quote:
Latest GFS shows accumulating snows across the U.S. Its showing up to half foot in northern MN and Montana. The left map is just for that 6hr time frame. Im not sure if it factors in melt so I'm going to say at least 2-3" accumulates there October 4th..
That's quite a broad snowstorm with some relatively heavy accumulations, which is very unusual this time of year. I really like those sort of forecasts that just say "3+ inches" or some such .

Quote:
Then HR276 October 10th it shows snow to the northern Pan Handle of Texas. LOL! That I'm not sure I believe...
It's not as if it hasn't happened before (October snow in Texas). We'll see how consistent the model runs are and if we get "convergence" on a snow around the 10th going forward.

Bring on the snowy October!

Old 09-29-2012, 05:47 AM

How is it possible to snow at 35n in October when it rarely snows in Europe in october south of 55/50n? I don't get how everything in North America can go so far South when at that latitude in Europe it would be 25-30c at this time of the year.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:04 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,009,502 times
Latitude is but one of many factors. You should also keep in mind that Europe is extremely warm compared to all other places at 50/55N. For Texas, higher altitude, being in an interior, away from warm oceanic winds, plus having much more extreme swings than Europe, and being away from the warm Gulf Stream help a lot. History doesn't lie in the case of these snows. Just last year Denver got a potent October snowstorm.

I can imagine that someone from Labrador, which is equally extreme for 50/55N (in this case extremely cold), could be equally perplexed as to how everything in Europe can go so far north.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:27 AM

Latest GFS Loooooong range around oct 13th. "IF" this happens, expect it to carve out a huge trough in the East. 988mb Low over Mid West. This would be a blizzard for Ontario and probably northern Minnesota/Wisconsin as well.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:30 AM

I suppose I've never thought of it that way.

I wonder of that cold will help put the jetstream on a southern track on nw Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather