Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2012, 06:25 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
But they have no heat.
It's not as if everything would be peaches if it was warmer. Life is hard without electricity regardless of temperature and even so there's the offset of weather interest, preference, and snowmen, et cetera (which is what I was talking about). Plus it's possible that shoveling snow would give them something to do - boredom is a major problem in power outages (and boredom is enough of a problem in mild weather even with the lights on). We've had the hot vs. cold debate before, but what it ultimately comes down to is the fact that the only thing that would really help them would be to get the lights back on. Then the problems of heat, cold, deprivation, and boredom that we have now would be eliminated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 08:17 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
It's not as if power would be magically restored if it was warmer. Plus, the storm victims will get to partake in snow forts and snow men, which will add a little bit of joy to their (as of now) miserable existence.
No, but it makes an already difficult situation that much rougher. Kind of like adding salt to the wound.

In any case, I'm still enjoying it. It's been blustery with blowing snow all day. Outright wintry conditions. Not sure if this has been mentioned, but NYC finally had a freeze.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:52 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
This just in: On the heels of Athena, the new storm in the West will be christened Brutus. They've exceeded my expectations for the East Coast bias - now let's see if they actually deploy anybody out west. "Record-setting snow and blizzard conditions" says Mike Bettes (I know, not the most expert source, but it's worth mentioning).

Old 11-08-2012, 05:03 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Well although we received zero snow in my area anyway...I for one am looking foward to warmer and drier air in the coming days! They say NYC could hit near 70 F on Monday/Tue?

Old 11-08-2012, 08:53 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
It's not as if power would be magically restored if it was warmer. Plus, the storm victims will get to partake in snow forts and snow men, which will add a little bit of joy to their (as of now) miserable existence.
Not Really the snow will be melting today.

That is why autumnal snow is useless unless you live in alaska or something.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:26 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Not Really the snow will be melting today.

That is why autumnal snow is useless unless you live in alaska or something.
That is true I would think.

I now here in the states November snow even in the northernmost areas of the mainland (North Dakoata, Maine, Montana..etc) never last's long (unless at elevation).

Old 11-08-2012, 10:50 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times
It can last if its at the end of November but certainly not at the start. The ground temperatures are just too warm.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:53 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,878,721 times
We're getting a solid frost tomorrow and on Saturday but after that a heat wave with temps 5-6°C above average and endless rain will start. Yech.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:15 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,206,676 times
Was snow forecast for the NE? I had no idea you guys were getting any wintry precip until I saw Accuweather a few minutes ago. Took me by surprise!

Old 11-08-2012, 01:58 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivalis View Post
Was snow forecast for the NE? I had no idea you guys were getting any wintry precip until I saw Accuweather a few minutes ago. Took me by surprise!
Accuweather is also predicting 3-6 inches for the Colorado Front Range Saturday night. The NWS mentions snow and much colder temperatures, but no accumulation...yet. This snow will probably be like the October 5.5 inches in that it will be accompanied by furious melting at first. There are some predictions for lows in the lower teens Saturday night, which would put a halt to a lot of the melting.

The temperatures all November in Colorado have been MUCH ABOVE NORMAL (what else is new?) so the streets and the ground are very warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather