Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Climate Battle: Barcelona vs NYC
Barcelona 39 54.93%
New York City 32 45.07%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 10:43 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,922,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
It is really amazing how much warmer Barcelona is than NYC, despite being slightly farther away from the equator.

Blame Canada. It truly is amazing how much that huge continental area to the north of us ruins our otherwise great latitude location. I always hated Canada for that reason. If only Canada didn't exist and it was just one vast ocean on our northern border. We would have much warmer winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 10:51 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,215,551 times
Thank goodness for Canada.

NYC for the cooler winters and higher precipitation.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:38 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times
New York. I prefer 4 seasons. Barcelona still beats anywhere in Florida though.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
New York. I prefer 4 seasons. Barcelona still beats anywhere in Florida though.
Have you ever experienced our winters up here? You are in the wrong location if you prefer four distinct seasons.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:27 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Have you ever experienced our winters up here? You are in the wrong location if you prefer four distinct seasons.
Meh, I'd prefer a Midwestern Winter over a Northeastern, still more seasons than the deep south :P

Old 11-29-2012, 01:26 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,730,511 times
Quote:
Blame Canada. It truly is amazing how much that huge continental area to the north of us ruins our otherwise great latitude location. I always hated Canada for that reason. If only Canada didn't exist and it was just one vast ocean on our northern border. We would have much warmer winters.
Places like NYC would probably have significantly cooler summers though as well, as it would become an Oceanic climate as opposed to Continental - depending on where this great hypthetical ocean started.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:30 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,730,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Have to go with Barcelona. Much warmer and more pleasant year-round. Also, I like the rather atypical precipitation pattern for a Mediterranean climate.

No sights such as this in NYC unfortunately:

Love these Canary Island Date Palms - they are common in Sydney and they grow well here too but are very slow growing.
On topic - easy pick- Barcelona, great Mediterranean climate and not overly hot like Cyprus and some other places.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Places like NYC would probably have significantly cooler summers though as well, as it would become an Oceanic climate as opposed to Continental - depending on where this great hypthetical ocean started.
How so? The vast, vast majority of our summer heat comes from the south and southwest, any time we get northwest winds in summer, the humidity drops along with temps. The NW and N winds come in winter. And the air would be greatly modified.

btw, I was joking about hating a country due to winter weather. We do get some lovely summer days from that direction.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Meh, I'd prefer a Midwestern Winter over a Northeastern, still more seasons than the deep south :P

Where did you live that you experienced four seasons?

Old 11-29-2012, 08:06 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,360,267 times
Quote:
How so? The vast, vast majority of our summer heat comes from the south and southwest, any time we get northwest winds in summer, the humidity drops along with temps. The NW and N winds come in winter. And the air would be greatly modified.

btw, I was joking about hating a country due to winter weather. We do get some lovely summer days from that direction.
True...for us in central/eastern USA a south wind is the hot/wet summer winter.....the north/and NNW wind is the cold and dry wind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather