Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 06:26 PM

839 posts, read 3,070,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Also, there is very little land in the SH south of 40 S. If you were to shift Australia 20 degrees south you might see a lot more snow there.
Yes, and if South America was in the current position, but turned "upside down", so that what now is the Amazon rainforest was at a latitude between 35 and 50 degrees S... That would produce true continental climates over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 11:34 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Also, there is very little land in the SH south of 40 S. If you were to shift Australia 20 degrees south you might see a lot more snow there.
You certainly would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
Yes, and if South America was in the current position, but turned "upside down", so that what now is the Amazon rainforest was at a latitude between 35 and 50 degrees S... That would produce true continental climates over there.
At first a picture popped into my mind of a snowy rainforest, which would be really cool, but that's not what you meant. If South America was turned upside down the Amazonian climate would be more like the Great Plains than the tropics, and it would feature regular snow.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:27 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Cool... I am curious as to what the annual snowfall in places like Invercargill and Queenstown is to make a comparison...
I've never seen snowfall stats for NZ towns

I lived in Invercargill for 6 years. It usually snowed several times a year but seldom settled, maybe once a year and probably only and inch or two. There was one year that was close to six inches, that stayed around for a week or so. Christchurch seemed like a snowier city to me.

Snow in Queenstown is much more common but still only settles 1 or 2 times a winter on average, The higher suburbs can have snow on the ground for a few weeks, some years. The biggest snowfall I saw there was 55 cm downtown, and 80-90 cm on the higher suburbs. I lived near Arrowtown (20 km from Queenstown) and snow was much more common there. It was common to have snow there, but nothing when I got to Queenstown for work.

There were goldmining towns ( a generous term) at altitude, where snow would have been on the ground most of the winter. Some of the places around here such as, Butchertown or Starvation Ridge, would have bleak winters indeed, if they had survived as towns,

Old 01-26-2014, 03:25 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Comodoro Rivadavia, Argentina.

I hear it has 2-3 snow days (much higher inland). Not definitely the snowiest, but at least it has over 100k inhabitants.

Caleta Olivia, a much more southern city at 46 degrees (in Argentina) has 70k people. I'm guessing it has much more snowy days.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:35 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,370,646 times
Currently it's Bariloche by far, as the city has surpassed the 100,000 inhabitants at the 2010 census. The average amount of days with snow is 24 (1961-1990). In second place must come the Chilean city of Punta Arenas with about 15 days (I don't have the precise data). Then yes, Comodoro Rivadavia with 4 days. However, San Rafael, in central-western Argentina, although averages 3 days of snow per year, delivers very good snowfalls much more frequently than Comodoro Rivadavia. In the last one, most snowfalls are short and light, whereas in San Rafael accumulations of over 10 cm aren't odd. Unfortunately, I have no records of volume.

For Argentina I can give this list with data from the period 1961-1990:
Ushuaia (58,000 inhab): 48 days
Bariloche (110,000 inhab): 24 days
Esquel (33,000 inhab): 22 days
Río Grande (66,000 inhab): 17 days
El Calafate (17,000 inhab): 14 days
Río Gallegos (96,000 inhab): 13 days --very close to make the list, maybe it already qualifies--
Malargüe (25,000 inhab): 11 days
---
Comodoro Rivadavia (180,000 inhab): 4 days
San Rafael (115,000 inhab): 3 days
Mendoza (1,100,000 inhab): 1.5 days

There is no data for several towns of between 20,000 and 60,000 inhabitants such as San Martín de los Andes, Zapala, Pico Truncado and Caleta Olivia. I expect about 20/22 for San Martín de los Andes, 10/11 for Zapala and Pico Truncado and 5 for Caleta Olivia.

Mendoza must be the snowiest city of its size in the Southern Hemisphere by far. They experienced very significant snowfalls quite recently, in 2007, 2010 and 2013.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:26 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
What's the snowiest inhabited place with a weather station in the southern hemisphere, not considering population? Is there anywhere in the entire hemisphere where there is any month with an average high <0?

Old 01-26-2014, 03:33 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,370,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
What's the snowiest inhabited place with a weather station in the southern hemisphere, not considering population? Is there anywhere in the entire hemisphere where there is any month with an average high <0?
First of all, I guess you are excluding Antarctic and sub-antarctic stations.
I can only speak for Argentina, unfortunately our meteorological station network is terrible, and small isolated villages rarely have records. The same happens with Chile, which together with Argentina is likely to have most contenders. Even worse, I don't have any records of snow accumulation/volume, only days with snow, which can be misleading.

Considering records, the inhabited place with most snowy days in Argentina is still Ushuaia (48).
Once existed a station in Puente del Inca, a little village in the Andes of Mendoza Province. Although the number of snowy days is lesser (33 from period 1961-1970), I reckon that over 95% of its precipitation of about 320 mm falls as snow. As the village is side an international road that connect Mendoza (Argentina) with Santiago (Chile), the place is rather well known and usually makes the news at winter due to the huge amounts of snow that block the route. Nearby a higher village exists, Las Cuevas, where only last year the Meteorological Service installed an automatic station. Las Cuevas is still snowier, but I don't have data. An inhabited place with higher snowy days is Cerro Catedral (98 from period 1961-1970).

About stations with an average high below 0°C, I have never seen any out of Antarctica with the exception of Cristo Redentor, another closed station that existed in the aforementioned International Pass (Paso Internacional Cristo Redentor), but the spot is not inhabited. The average high for July is -3.5°C! Neither Puente del Inca and (probably) Las Cuevas have subzero average highs in any month. There is a permanent inhabited Mine Camp named Veladero which I guess it has average highs below zero. If curious look it up on Google Earth: 29°24'S/69°53'O

Cristo Redentor climate data: IRN - Mendoza

Old 05-05-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
Mendoza must be the snowiest city of its size in the Southern Hemisphere by far. They experienced very significant snowfalls quite recently, in 2007, 2010 and 2013.
And funnily enough, Mendoza is very dry overall (223 mm / 8.8 in annually), and is driest in winter!!

Old 05-05-2014, 09:24 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
They don't really get that much snow down there.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
They don't really get that much snow down there.
Yes, but there are places with the same average temps in winter but with MORE rain, and nonetheless, they receive less snow or even no snow at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather